It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:39 pm

To move the HW folder to another disk...

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

ReinhartS

To move the HW folder to another disk...

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 1:17 pm

Hi there,
sure a well known problem to all experienced HW users. But I was so flashed by all the possibilities, the great sound and great sample sets, that my setup on a Mac Mini is eating now almost all of the 256 GB SSD drive.
I connected an external drive via thunderbolt 3, tremendously fast etc... but here is the question:
would it be possible just to move the entire Hauptwerk folder (meanwhile 170 GB) to that attached harddrive? Would the HW software recognize the new location or at least ask for it?
Or do I really have to re-install the entire thing completely with the custom option to end up with the programm on the main drive and the hauptwerk folder on the other?
Any hint or suggestion is highly appreciated.

Greetings from Germany
Reinhart

mnailor

Re: To move the HW folder to another disk...

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 1:33 pm

This is briefly explained in the user guide on page 25. You run the Hauptwerk installer again, choosing the new disk and directories in Custom. Don't uninstall first. Do save a backup first. The installer moves your files to the new location unless disk space or permissions or other technical problems prevent it. I didn't have to reinstall samplesets or restore settings when I switched to external drives.

ReinhartS

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 6:37 am

Thanks very much. You were right. It worked like a charm: the installer recogized the installed version, flawlessly moved the folder from one disk to the other. Nothing was lost, all settings saved... :D

engrssc

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 10:48 am

There is another way using a free disk cloning software - Back upper:

https://www.aomeitech.com/

Rgds,
Ed

Andrew Grahame

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 5:13 pm

Remember though that the only approach which qualifies for support from the Hauptwerk team is use of the installer.

engrssc

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 5:29 pm

Andrew Grahame wrote:Remember though that the only approach which qualifies for support from the Hauptwerk team is use of the installer.

Unfortunately, when and if they get the time. :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

Andrew Grahame

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 5:34 pm

Support re Hauptwerk issues is invaluable, and it's part of what we all pay for when purchasing a licence. The current delays are unfortunate, and I'm just one of many currently caught up in this situation. However it's my understanding that the circumstances are entirely valid, and a little patience is needed all round.

Return to Computer hardware / specs