It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:46 pm

New Laptop Question

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

montyjnc

New Laptop Question

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 2:53 pm

Hello all-

I am currently looking at a new workstation laptop from Lenovo (x1 extreme gen 2) with the following specs:

i7-9750H
64gb DDR4 2666mhz RAM
1tb m.2 SSD
(the rest of the specs dont matter for Hauptwerk... right?)

Do you think this will me comparable to my current PC setup? My thought is to be able to use the laptop as a sort of mobile Hauptwerk system.

My PC:
i7-5820k overclocked to 4.4
80gb DDR4 2400mhz RAM
1tb m.2, 2 tb SATA
(again, etc)

I guess I am just curious how the laptop will compare to my old PC setup. I am not planning to tear down my existing PC setup to be clear. But considering the i7-9750H is also 6 cores/12 threads with a 12mb cache vs 15mb will i see a significant performance difference between the two systems? Obviously the i7-5820k has a significantly higher clockspeed vs the i7-9750H with a base clock of 2.6 but turbos up.

any thoughts?

mdyde

Re: New Laptop Question

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 6:32 am

Hello Monty,

With regard to the CPUs:

- i7-9750H: 6 cores, 2.6 GHz base clock speed, 12 MB cache, AVX2, released 2019: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html

- i7-5820K: 6 cores, 3.3 GHz base clock speed, 15 MB cache, AVX2, released 2014: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html

... my guess would be that performance would be fairly similar purely on the basis that even though the older CPU has a higher clock speed and slightly more cache, the newer CPU is of a significantly newer generation. In other respects their specifications are comparable (same numbers of cores, AVX2). Perhaps the older CPU would still have some performance advantage overall.

See also: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18044&p=138434#p138434
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

JulianMoney-Kyrle

Re: New Laptop Question

PostSat Mar 28, 2020 7:38 pm

I have just recently bought a laptop workstation from Dell for Hauptwerk and other uses (including photo-editing). One thing that I hadn't realised until I looked into it is that there are two different M.2 interfaces. These are SATA and PCIe NVBMe. The latter is nearly ten times faster than SATA (depending on the specific drive you use). By using the faster interface, startup, loading an organ, installing and organ or rebuilding the cache are much quicker. On my previous sytem (with a SATA SSD) it would take nearly an hour to rebuild the cache with Salisbury Cathedral, whereas now it is just over a minute (of course the processor and everything else is faster, too). This certainly makes switching between different instruments during a single playing session much easier to do.

Return to Computer hardware / specs