It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:35 am

Should I upgrade to Catilina

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

fchazz

Should I upgrade to Catilina

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 2:56 pm

I am running HighSierra. I have Hauptwerk 5 advanced and have everything running very well with my samplesets. Hauptwerk is the only thing I use my computer for. Is there any substantial reason why I should upgrade to OSX Catilina? In my case I would have to redo everything.
If it ain't broke don't fix it?

Grant_Youngman

Re: Should I upgrade to Catilina

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 4:23 pm

Probably not.

But … It may not require that you "redo everything", unless you're running older 32-bit drivers, which would need to be upgraded. If your venders don't offer 64-bit, Catalina compatible drivers … then shame on them, since it essentially renders their products obsolete. I ran into that issue. Replaced my HW Mac. Replaced my audio interface. It was time for an upgrade anyway, since my system had been in place since 2007 :mrgreen:

Even that wasn't a difficult upgrade. New audio, and an upgrade of my touchscreen and MOTU Microlite drivers was all it took. A day's effort perhaps before the new machine was installed, console was functional, and the first sample set was playing …
Grant

RaymondList

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 5:28 pm

Since you are running Hauptwerk V already, if you installed it following the instructions to completely delete version 4, the upgrade of your OS might actually be quite a simple one and painless. Since you don't use the machine for anything else and are not connected to the internet (right?), you likely won't gain a thing. Being the geek that I am, I personally would do it just to see how it went, but that is just me. (An example of 'me': I upgraded to Catalina while still running Hauptwerk 4, a definite no-no - only took me a short while to have Hauptwerk running again. BUT, fighting computer 'fires' was what I did for a living, being on-call for the Deposit System in a very large bank here in the USA.)
Ray

larason2

PostThu Mar 26, 2020 10:09 pm

I would upgrade to Catalina, as it has some nice features that I would consider to be worth upgrading to on their own. Mostly this applies to the included apps, but it also has some very nice accessibility features that would potentially apply even if you only use Hauptwerk. I also feel there was a small performance improvement compared with Mojave when it comes to running apps and starting up the computer. I feel it's always a good idea to keep your operating system up to date, as I think that helps protect you against viruses, and decreases the amount of bugs you may run into.

mdyde

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 5:13 am

Hello Frank,

[Topic moved here.]

To add to others' replies, my thoughts would be:

- I use macOS 10.13 and find it to be excellent for Hauptwerk and other purposes at this point in time. Eventually it will be de-supported by Apple after which it would no longer be advisable (for security reasons) to use it if the computer is connected to the Internet. Also, eventually companies will stop making drivers/software for it.

- I don't know of any benefits that macOS 10.15 'Catalina' would give you above 10.13 for Hauptwerk purposes specifically (although maybe there are features in it that you might possibly want for other reasons).

- There are a few minor (mainly cosmetic) compatibility issues between Hauptwerk v5 and macOS 10.15, which are listed in the last section of the release notice: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/ . 10.15 is still reasonably new, and some hardware and software isn't yet fully compatible with it,

- Personally, I would never upgrade between major versions of either macOS or Windows without performing a completely clean installation of the operating system (reformatting the drive during installation, reinstalling all software afterwards, etc.), since my experience has been that both platforms (Mac and Windows) work and perform significantly better as a result. Although allowing the operating system to upgrade an existing installation should technically be possible, every time I've ever tried it (including only a few macOS versions ago) I've had problems as a result, and ended up having to wipe it and reinstall everything from clean anyway to get back to a system that works reliably and performs well. However, reinstalling the operating system and all software from clean is of course a fairly major undertaking. Other people seem to have had more luck, so your mileage may vary, as they say.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

fchazz

PostFri Mar 27, 2020 6:30 am

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Return to Computer hardware / specs