It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:35 am

Windows Virtual PC & MIDI

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

ludu

Windows Virtual PC & MIDI

PostTue May 05, 2020 2:22 pm

Hello,
Does anyone have an experience of Windows XP Mode on a Windows 7 Pro computer? My internal sound card works fine but in XP Mode, it doesn’t appear in the list of material. And of course, I don’t have any MIDI ports available.
Luc

micdev

Site Admin

Re: Windows Virtual PC & MIDI

PostTue May 05, 2020 4:16 pm

Bonsoir Luc,

Many years ago, when Win7 was released I used a bit XP mode... virtualization was something new. I was working for some ok, and was a work around for applications incompatible with Windows 7. But the applications used were mostly home business software. I never dared to try Hauptwerk in such environment.

On the other hand I tried about 8 years ago Vmware Worstation on Win7... and installed Hauptwerk for fun, to see. Forget it... Hauptwerk needs a lot of resources and the timing (midi and audio streaming) is critical, awful latency, audio drivers problems etc. Great to run business applications... not for real-time application like Hauptwerk and audio - https://communities.vmware.com/thread/614502

You may want to consider buying an external audio interface like the Focusrite 2i2 (if you need only 2 channels or 4i4 if you want built-in midi) ... not very expensive and you would at the same time get a much better sound than your built-in audio interface.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

engrssc

PostTue May 05, 2020 6:40 pm

micdev wrote:On the other hand I tried about 8 years ago Vmware Worstation on Win7...

https://www.vmware.com/products/workstation-pro/workstation-pro-evaluation.html

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostWed May 06, 2020 4:11 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ludu

PostWed May 06, 2020 4:32 am

Hello François,

I must admit that my short post didn’t explain clearly what I’m trying to do. For many years, I was used to recording and manage my performances with the sequencer Cakewalk by Sonar, running on Windows XP, on an old PC out of order. I know that Cakewalk is now a free software distributed by SoundLab. But this new version requires an internet connection, and that annoys me (dependence of the web, installation of an antivirus, of a long cable or a wifi system, etc.). Therefore, I’ve tried my old Cakewalk on another PC running on Windows 7 Pro, but the software often crashes. And with the virtual XP Mode, the MIDI ports aren’t available anymore. Perhaps I shall have to adopt the new Cakewalk and accept the permanent connection.

Many thanks to you and to Ed for your answers.

PS

To Martin: sorry for my first post that didn’t clarify the object of my request. It has nothing to do with a technical support concerning Hauptwerk, but you couldn’t know it.
Luc

mdyde

PostWed May 06, 2020 4:42 am

ludu wrote:To Martin: sorry for my first post that didn’t clarify the object of my request. It has nothing to do with a technical support concerning Hauptwerk, but you couldn’t know it.

Thanks, Luc. No problem; in that case, topic moved here now!
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Computer hardware / specs