It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:03 pm

Fitting a new Disk Drive

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

David Baldwin

Fitting a new Disk Drive

PostWed May 20, 2020 2:24 pm

Regrettably, over the last few weeks I have been subjected to a lot of "blue screens". I have traced one cause to be the main disk drive on a Windows 10 system. If date of manufacture of the master drive of 2011 suggests it is now 9 years old but it meats my needs, I therefore plan to replace the drive with one of the same spec. I thought I would also add a 250Gb SSD to speed up the loading of organs. I am not to worried about the boot up time of the computer since I usually switch the computer on before I arrive at it location.
The motherboard is a Sabertooth X58 which has 6 SATA outputs, 2 @ 6Gb/s and 4 @ 3 Gb/s. The replacement drive has a 6 Gb/s as does the proposed SSD. There is also another drive in the computer which is also 6 Gb/s. I presume that these devices will work work on the motherboard. If it does could someone advise me which of the 3 devices should get the 3Gb/s and why?
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

RichardW

Re: Fitting a new Disk Drive

PostThu May 21, 2020 10:35 am

Hi,

You haven't said what is on the "another drive". However, for a Hauptwerk computer you should try and get Hauptwerk and Windows all running as fast as possible.

So, assuming the main drive also has your HW files and the SSD will have the HW cache then I suggest those two should be the 6GB/s ones.
Richard

Return to Computer hardware / specs