It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 am

Error Correction System for Hauptwerk?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Re: Error Correction System for Hauptwerk?

PostTue May 26, 2020 4:52 pm

A lot to like, for sure. That's a serious machine, a 'little' more than is needed for a basic HW install. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

dw154515

PostTue May 26, 2020 11:01 pm

engrssc wrote:Need to overcome the learning curve to make a sizable investment for an ECC system. Strictly from a not knowing enough about ECC begs the question if such a system could be added as a consideration in a future Hauptwerk version? Esp for use in a public performance situation.

An error-correcting code is an algorithm for expressing a sequence of numbers such that any errors which are introduced can be detected and corrected (within certain limitations) based on the remaining numbers. The study of error-correcting codes and the associated mathematics is known as coding theory.

As Drew mentioned, that the sound from the organ sounded like machine gun fire. Given today's awareness of terrorism directly at places like churches, a glitch like a ram stick issue could have serious panic possibilities, maybe? This leaves all public performance Hauptwerk installations vulnerable.

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18662#p140586

I'm aware of many pre-built commercial organ problems, but never anything like this.

Rgds,
Ed

Ed, I think the solution (at least for me) was to just replace the one bad stick, and I also got another as a spare. I left it, and a backup SSD with the entire image on it, as well as a flashdrive with MemTest86 - and put them in a rack drawer in the rack that holds the PC, amps, interfaces, etc. God forbid something happens to me, you and Danny B. (aka Magnaton) will be the only two souls who will know how to work on this thing. Your names and emails are also written in the "manual" as contacts should I cease to be.

That said, taking the computer down for a few days allowed me to do a couple of preventative maintenance things anyway - it was a good time to just verify all RAM was still good, make a current backup, replace a noisy case fan, replace the bad stick, and blow out the little bit of dust that had accumulated. (This is, without question, the cleanest I've ever seen a computer, by the way. The case that I used has nice filters built into it. It also helps that, even though its a "mechanical" room, it's quite clean.
Drew A. Worthen
Master of Music in Composition - Butler University
http://www.drewworthen.com
Director of Music & Website Admin - Greenwood UMC
http://www.greenwoodumc.org
Design Engineer - American Sound and Electronics - Indy
https://americansound.cc/

engrssc

PostWed May 27, 2020 3:27 am

A computer case filter is a good thing if cleaned regularly. Otherwise not good

A current backup SSD certainly is good (necessary) insurance. My only suggestion is to keep a second cloned SSD in a secure off-site location. Something I've also done is to clone the organ's SSD to a very fast SanDisk extreme pro 256gb flash drive, (Read/Write speeds of up to 420MB/s / 380MB/s) which in our case is just barely large enough to contain the organ's software (image). Just another backup source. Kinda awesome to carry a couple huge organs in one's shirt pocket.

With Win 10 you can boot from a flash drive that contains the OS. Settings / update & security / recovery / advanced startup / restart now / use a device (USB - 2nd from top, left).

We also keep the dongle connected to an internal USB port inside the computer case. (security thing)
I have on order 4 sticks of Kingston RAM which I will exchange sometime in the future.

BTW, there is a new, big Win 10 update (2004 - released 5/27/2020) coming to a computer near you (only if it has Internet access) - end/month.

Rgds,
Ed
Previous

Return to Computer hardware / specs