It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:02 am

Win 10 update 2004 released today (eom)

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Re: Win 10 update 2004 released today (eom)

PostSun May 31, 2020 10:44 am

Thanks all for the positive experiences, looking for other's (experience with 2004) as well.

Here, basically is the "suggestion" Grant was referring to for forcing the download of Win 10 update 2004. However, before trying it, I would strongly advise making a backup of your system or even better, cloning your drive. Using Acronis is one good way. I use another free utility that has worked (as in cloning) for me (which I believe Drew used previously) which I would share privately. Today, SSD's are so relatively cheap, it's foolish not to use one to clone your drive(s) which makes it easy to go back to what you (now) have.

This YouTube video explains the process: (you can skip the ads if you choose to)
Interesting, I found if you do skip the ads, the creator of that particular YouTube video doesn't get paid a fee by the ad sponsor. That's how the YouTube business works.

https://youtu.be/iDtCnOo7rL4?t=195

There has been in the past a question floated by some if a Windows 11 is going to in the future. From very reliable sources, simply no, never. Only updates to Win 10 which has been realistically engineered to do many things here-to-for not possible with earlier Windows versions. Such things that in some cases, fixes problems if you "ask" in the right ways. 8)

Speaking of the "future" I plan to post some take-aways of the webinar from yesterday, 5/30/20 by the MIDI Association regarding MIDI 2.0. More than interesting. :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostSun May 31, 2020 6:28 pm

Quite possibly no one has yet used the virtual MIDI cable software - loopMIDI with the 2004 update.

http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

Interested if this software can be made to work in a headless setup.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 12:09 pm

Right after releasing the Windows 10 May 2020 Update to home customers, Microsoft has already added ten know issues under investigation to the Windows 10 2004 release health dashboard.

Microsoft has added the known issues right after starting the new release's rollout process, together with nine compatibility holds designed to prevent users of impacted devices from being offered the latest Windows 10 release.

"We recommend that you do not attempt to manually update using the Update now button or the Media Creation Tool until this issue has been resolved," Microsoft says.

Microsoft working on fixes, some workarounds available
Some of the known issues Microsoft is investigating in the Windows 10 2004 and Windows Server 2004 releases prevent devices from connecting to more than one Bluetooth device, cause refresh rate issues for devices with Intel GPUs, and trigger errors when plugging or unplugging a Thunderbolt dock.

Others cause issues when older drivers for Nvidia display adapters (GPU) are installed and could lead to unexpected restarts for some devices using Always On, Always Connected capable network adapters.

Microsoft and the vendors behind the drivers or firmware coming with incompatibility issues are working on a resolution, with an update to be provided in an upcoming release.

For some of the issues, Microsoft also provides mitigation measures or workarounds, saying that "you will need to check with your device manufacturer (OEM) to see if an updated driver is available and install it."

For additional information, you can click the "See details" links next to each issue or go to the Windows 10 2004 health dashboard.

List of Windows 10 2004 known issues under investigation
A summary of currently active Windows 10, versions 2004 known issues is available below:

• Difficulty connecting to more than one Bluetooth device (compatibility hold):
Windows 10 devices with certain Realtek drivers might be unable to connect to more than one Bluetooth device. See details >

• Errors or issues during or after updating devices with Conexant ISST audio drivers (compatibility hold):
Devices with affected Conexant ISST audio drivers might receive an error or have issues with Windows 10, version 2004. See details >

• Errors or issues during or after updating devices with certain Conexant or Synaptics audio drivers (compatibility hold​​​​​​​):
Devices with affected Conexant or Synaptics audio drivers might receive a stop error with a blue screen. See details >

• Issues using ImeMode property to control IME mode for individual text entry fields:
Some IMEs for certain langauges might have issues using the ImeMode property with certain apps. See details >

• Variable refresh rate not working as expected on devices with Intel GPUs (compatibility hold​​​​​​​):
Enabling VRR on affected devices will not enable the VRR for most games, especially games using Direct X 9. See details >

• Stop error with a blue screen when plugging or unplugging a Thunderbolt dock (compatibility hold​​​​​​​):
Affected Windows 10 devices will have at least one Thunderbolt port, have Kernel DMA Protection enabled and Windows Hypervisor Platform disabled. See details >

• Errors or unexpected restarts for some devices using Always On, Always Connected (compatibility hold​​​​​​​):
Devices with more than one Always On, Always Connected capable network adapter might have issues (e.g., Microsoft Surface Pro 7, Microsoft Surface Laptop 3). See details >

• No mouse input with apps and games using GameInput Redistributable (compatibility hold​​​​​​​):
Affected apps and games using both GameInput Redistributable and Windows 10, version 2004 might lose mouse input. See details >

• Issues updating or starting up devices when aksfridge.sys or aksdf.sys is present (compatibility hold​​​​​​​):
Devices with apps or drivers using certain versions of aksfridge.sys or aksdf.sys might have issues updating or starting. See details >

• Issue with older drivers for Nvidia display adapters (GPU) (compatibility hold​​​​​​​):
You might have issues if you are using an Nvidia display adapter (GPU) and drivers with a version below 358.00. See details >

According to the Windows 10, version 2004 health dashboard, the update is available for users with devices running Windows 10, versions 1903 and 1909 who manually check for updates via Windows Update dialog.

If you want to install the Windows 10 May 2020 Update right now, select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and then click the Check for updates button. You will be asked to download and install the new release if it has rolled out for your device.

If the update isn't offered automatically when you check for updates via Windows Update, you can get also manually install it through the Update Assistant.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 3:48 am

In spite of all of the so-called above listed "problems", I haven't seen any of those on the updated home instrument, for instance like not being able to connect more than one blue tooth device. No issue here.

Haven't updated any of the church instruments yet. Before doing the update, I cloned the original drive as a backup. Something I usually don't do but did this time is to make 2 changes at the same time. Along with updated Win 10 to version 2004, I also went to a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 drive (in place of the conventional SSD). Since my mother board isn't equipped for such, I used a PCI-E PCI express 3.0 16x x4 adapter riser card. Very impressive read speeds using CrystalDiskMark 7.0 (free - standard edition) benchmark software.

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskmark/

The 960 EVO really improved the system load speed. :) Write speed improved also but was more interested in the read speed. The only issue is the cost for this drive.

No doubt using a mo bo with faster nus speeds and a newer generation CPU would make an even greater improvement. But that "improvement" is basically called a new computer. So while the 960 EVO isn't cheap, it's still "less expensive" than a new computer. When and if there is enough budget for a new computer :o , the 960 EVO will do it's thing there, too.

So far, haven't heard of any others having problems with 2004 ??

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 7:02 am

I downloaded feature update 2004 to my desktop Windows (not HW) computer and proceeded with the very slow install. It failed and "reversed" itself. The failure code was 0xC1900101 . Microsoft say
0xC1900101 Errors
An error that begins with 0xC1900101 is usually a driver error

I do have an old graphics card in that machine, AMD Radeon HD 5450, and there has not been any driver updates for a long time. Suspect I will need to buy a new card for that machine.

My HW computer has an Nvidia NVS 300 card and the drivers for that card are below the level recommended by MS for the 2004 update. In a chat with Nvida, the "technician" said they knew of no problems... Again I fear that a new card may be required here too. The old card used a dms-59 connector to connect to DVI-I sockets for the video monitors. Seems that most cards available now provide one DVI connector and an HDMI connector, so I may have to use another converting cable or just replace the cable with and HDMI cable.... At present MS is not offering 2004 as an update on the HW machine (only 1909 which I will not instal)l. I might wait a while... on 1809!

As someone who likes to keep their MS systems up-to-date I find this frustrating. The cost of a suitable card is not very significant these days, but the time taken can become an issue....

Iain

engrssc

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 8:15 am

One of my computers actually a Dell tablet also failed the 2004 update and likewise reverted. For that one the problem is an incompatible app. MS suggests a method where you disable half of the programs and retry the (long time wise) update. If it works, then you know the problem is with one of the disabled programs. Then you can re-enable half of the disabled programs, etc, etc until eventually you (by this process of elimination) find the problem program. But the "test" is to do the download bit each time which is the slow part of the process. I thought maybe you could just download the update to a flash drive and apply that?

Nope, doesn't work because the update process tweaks your 'puter along the "way". In other words, this is a multi step process that (unless I get lucky) will take a very lang time. Not going to do that presently. The computer being updated can't be used during this update process either plus the download takes away from the Internet resources which the ISP has deliberately throttled back during this pandemic anyway. So attempting the update during the night when Internet traffic theoretically should be lower is a possibility almost. The issue is that part of the update requires your approval to MS to proceed so the process isn't completely automatic. And there are some recent patches from MS (fixes). Such is progress?? Maybe not too bad as only one of my computers has this"problem".

BTW, I have a (backup clone) of each updated computer before updating.

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 10:05 am

And now Microsoft have replaced the "install 2004" invitation on my Update screen with
The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. We’re offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn’t quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you’ll see the update available on this page. There’s nothing you need to do at this time.

I assume this means they may be looking to fix their software to run on my device - it is unlikely that my device is going to do something by itself to allow 2004 to be installed.

(Not good at waiting once I've started to do so something)

Iain

engrssc

PostFri Jun 12, 2020 10:32 am

IainStinson wrote:(Not good at waiting once I've started to do so something)

You could start Pace-ing. :wink: BTW, I get the same MS message.

I'm the same as not wanting to wait once I start something. Right now, on the front burner, I've got several partially finished projects not because I didn't try (to finish them.) Very wasteful, time wise because when I can get back to them, I usually have to re-think what I've done up to that point. :mrgreen:

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 2:53 am

As a reply to a question, Hauptwerk version 4.2 with the hasp dongle will not work with Win 10 version 2004 altho HW 4.2 with the hasp dongle does work with Version 1909. I'm not sure if you once install version 2004 if you can revert back to version 1909 altho there appears to be the possibility to uninstall an update within update history. Just never tried to do it.

Rgds,
Ed

micdev

Site Admin

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 7:39 am

Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

organsRgreat

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 7:46 am

Is 4.2 the latest version of HW4? If so I'd better be careful about that Windows update, as I'm not planning to upgrade to HW5 for the moment.

micdev

Site Admin

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 9:21 am

Dear all,

The new Hasp/Sentinel driver is available on this page - https://www.hauptwerk.com/v4-license-updates/
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

engrssc

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 9:37 am

A big high "V" for François, right? :) Esp from those that will upgrade to HW 5 - later.

Note, listed as Drivers for the Hauptwerk Legacy USB Key for Hauptwerk 4.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 10:21 am

Not necessarily a recommendation, but what this above info means is by installing the USB key legacy driver for the (old) Sentinel Hasp dongle you can use Windows 10 (latest) version 2004 in place of using Win 7 along with Hauptwerk 4.2.

Win 10 is a much better secure option as it is supported rather than Win 7. More so true if you need to connect your computer (for whatever reason) to the Internet.

RIP Windows 7 :wink: W7 did it's thing for a long while. Time to move on. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed
Previous

Return to Computer hardware / specs