It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:00 am

HDD?'s

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

HDD?'s

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 6:26 pm

Just got off the phone trying to help. Basic issue is the PC (system) runs too slow. This person has fairly ok basic hardware, just not very new . Even the boot time is long. Hauptwerk is finally ready to play after nearly five minutes. :shock:

Couple issues, he has (too) many apps running in the background. The other problem is, while he has a WD Blue 128 gb SSD for HW, he also has 2 very old, big hard drives connected for storage. just in case. All of that extra baggage is part of his problem. He doesn't seem to understand that even tho the HDD's aren't used very often, the CPU etc, still needs to keep track of them making for long scan cycles. His reasoning, 'Well, I had them and didn't see how that would matter".

As an experiment, told him to disconnecf the HDD's. That alone speeded up his setup to the extent that HW is ready in just over 2+ minutes. Next thing that will help is to get rid of all the junk files. "But I like all those nest gsdgets and stuff" ssys he. That's ok if you can live with the long load times Now he has to make a decision. I suggested if he doesn't want to spend a few bucks for some fast SSD's, for storage at least leave the HDD'S disconnected until such time as you actually need them. "But that's a lot of fiddling to do" says he.

I know it can be done via Disk Management, just wasn't sure he was up to doing it. that wsy So he's back to 5 minute boot and load times for now. I also suggested CCleaner, "But that would probably remove some of my stuff". :mrgreen:

Oh well, I tried. There's something about leading the horse to water, - - - -. :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

RichardW

Re: HDD?'s

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 2:04 pm

Has he considered buying a second PC?

Then he could have one to mount all his old disks on and every utility he could ever want but keep the HW PC stripped down for speed?
Richard

engrssc

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 4:04 pm

RichardW wrote:Has he considered buying a second PC?

Being as his one and only 'vintage' machine is 10 yrs old? Not sure.

Rgds,
Ed

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 5:42 pm

What about dual booting? That won't solve the problem of leaving the slower drives connected but at least he could have a partition dedicated to HW without the bloatware.

Return to Computer hardware / specs