It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:55 pm

Apple transitioning from Intel chips to their own A series

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

RaymondList

Apple transitioning from Intel chips to their own A series

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 3:59 pm

Today Apple announced they will be transitioning from Intel chips to their own A series RISC processors. The first computers moving in this direction will be released later this year (rumor has it a 13 inch MacBook and an iMac). They will complete the transition within 2 years. Apple will also have an emulator (Rosetta 2) to run Intel applications on the new machines, but of course, native code will be better. Apple states that the transition to the new processors will be an easy change for developers to make (Yeah, right!!!). Apple is quite far along this road, since they had demonstration units running the new processors running the next version of the OS which will run on them (MacOS 11.0 - no longer 10 or 'X') and that OS will be released in the next couple of months, and development kits to include a Mac mini running an 'A' series processor which will ship to developers next week! I wonder if Hauptwerk will be converted, or if the emulator will be quick enough. The processors promise to be extremely powerful.
Ray

RaymondList

Re: Apple transitioning from Intel chips to their own A seri

PostMon Jun 22, 2020 6:07 pm

Interestingly, during the demo I just watched, they ran a (quite intensive) video game that was not converted from Intel code through the Rosetta 2 emulator on one of the new Apple chip Macs. The software ran fast and without a blip. To me, it was quite impressive. I'd love to see someone run a copy of Hauptwerk on that emulator. In addition, the Mac was running an A12X chip that is currently production in the iPad Pros, not one of the new more-powerful Mac A-series chips which will contain a bunch more CPUs on the silicon.
Ray

Return to Computer hardware / specs