It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:41 pm

Quiet PC?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

ludu

Quiet PC?

larason2

Re: Quiet PC?

PostSat Sep 26, 2020 1:01 pm

I don't have personal experience with the Intel NUC's (others on this forum have more), but I would be surprised if it doesn't have a fan of some sort. How quiet the on board fan is, and how quiet it needs to be for you are a matter of personal preference. If you have a computer store nearby that stocks these, you can go and see how loud the fans are on a similar model. For a truly fanless PC, you need to buy something custom built with special non-fan cooling technology. A company that has been discussed on the forum before is this one: https://silentpc.com/fanless-pcs. They are a bit more expensive than a similarly spec'd PC, but they are totally silent from a fan perspective. Others probably have more to add.

tf11972

PostSat Sep 26, 2020 3:53 pm

In the net I found a review of the NUC 10. According to this test, it has a notebook fan, which should only make a quiet noise at a distance of 2 to 3 meters. But the price is too high, here you can get it cheaper:
https://www.amazon.de/Mini-PC-Intel-NUC ... B085CL4ZDB
Best regards
Thomas

www.forestpipes.de

magnaton

PostSun Sep 27, 2020 10:16 am

I might suggest building your own dedicated PC as many others here on the HW Forum have done. The big advantage is you can secifiiy the components you want. Plus you can get the OEM (just the OS) Windows version that doesn't have the 'bloatware' or LE (Limited Edition) promotional applications installed as many pre-built computers have.

Assembling your own PC you can pick MOTBs that have the capability to accept 128K of RAM! Not that you'll need that but its nice knowing that when you want to go that high, you won't have to 'eat' RAM purchased earlier, especially with a prebuilt PC. Many of the prebuilt computers have all DRAM 4 slots filled. So if its standard with 8GB of RAM, the four RAM slots are filled with 2GB RAM modules!

Customizing you own PC build you can research which fans are to quietest. Here is a power supply I recently purchased for a HW project and the name says it all!
https://tinyurl.com/y5qjavxd

Danny B.
Last edited by magnaton on Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ludu

PostSun Sep 27, 2020 11:53 am

Thank you all for your comments. I have no doubt that the best solution is to assemble your PC yourself, but I do not feel able to do this and choose parts that are compatible. If the NUC isn’t perfectly quiet, I should buy a fanless PC with SSD. This will probably be the best guarantee to get the expected result.

ludu

engrssc

PostTue Sep 29, 2020 6:56 pm

Return to Computer hardware / specs