It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 am

Windows 8

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

englala1955

Windows 8

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 1:07 pm

I had not turned on my Hauptwerk system in over a year. After the pandemic let up, I tried to fire it up last week. It has a problem. Perhaps you can help.

I am running Windows 8 (I know, I know) and an early version of Hauptwerk with a great many sample sets.

When I turned it on this time, Windows 8 would not advance beyond the so-called Start Screen. Clicking on the icon/rectangle for the Desktop would not work. I've tried ESC and ctrl-alt-del to no avail. My daughter who knows about such things tried to use the Windows Recovery disc to no avail.

I am ready to order a new computer with the latest Windows and subscribe/buy the latest version of Hauptwerk. But I'm not at all sure that I could install the system by myself. Therefore, I really would prefer not to erase the contents of the internal hard drive on my Windows 8 computer.

(See Encore Organs Op. 26 for a description of my system. The original "designer"/installer of my system does not seem to be available.)

Any ideas?

Many, many thanks.

engrssc

Re: Windows 8

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 3:38 pm

Definitely suggest you (or your daughter) upgrade your computer to Windows 10 as a first step. A good idea to make a backup before doing anything even if you don't think you'll need it. You can Google to get information how to do that.

Here is upgrade information:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Then you can buy a LEGIT product key required to activate your software, here:

Windows 10 Pro OEM GLOBAL CD-KEY
USE COUPON CODE: CAREY

https://www.cdkdeals.com/ap/CHYT

Rgds,
Ed

micdev

Site Admin

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 4:14 pm

Good afternoon,

You could ask your daughter to boot in "safe mode", often a faulty, corrupted driver will block the boot process. You can also try to boot 3 times in a row your computer and power it off while on the start screen. After 3 failed boots, Windows 8 should start in Autorecovery mode.

Know that you don't need to be able to access your old computer' files to be able to upgrade to Hauptwerk 6 on a new computer. You can do a clean install (meaning run the Hauptwerk VI installer without Hauptwerk 4 been pre-installed.

I see (in our database) that you do have many encrypted sample sets. Know that when upgrading from HW4 to HW6 you do need to download new installation packages and re-install those encrypted sample sets. If you can access your old disk (maybe by connecting it temporarily to your new computer) it will give the chance to recuperate and restore latest Hauptwerk automatic backup file so you won't need to re-autodetect the various controls for all your sample sets, restore your voicing and registrations, saving you time.

Since you are properly registered in our database, there is no problem upgrading directly to Hauptwerk 6. Make sure to keep your actual Hauptwerk 4 dongle to transfer your licenses to iLOK.

I will "PM" with additional information.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

englala1955

PostSun Jul 25, 2021 4:17 pm

Many thanks.

I suspect that I will buy a new computer with Windows 10 and try to start over from scratch. This one (the Windows 8 machine) is 8 years old now, so I don't really expect it to last much longer anyway. A

Thank you so much.

mdyde

PostWed Jul 28, 2021 3:04 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Computer hardware / specs