It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:13 am

USB C to USB B hub for Hauptwerk

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

organsRgreat

USB C to USB B hub for Hauptwerk

PostTue Jul 04, 2023 5:09 am

I have bought a second hand Dell Latitude 2 in 1 computer as a backup for one of my Hauptwerk laptops. I specifically wanted Windows 10 and 8 GB RAM, which this machine gives me. It has two USB C ports (no others), one of which is used for supplying power. I need at least four USB B connections: mouse (I find trackpads awkward); Hauptwerk 4 dongle; MIDI in; USB feed to sound card (MOTU 828).

I don’t like the idea of MIDI going in, and digital audio coming out through the same port, as I suspect that could cause conflicts. Is it possible to connect a powered USB C to USB B hub in such a way that it powers the computer, and could also connect to the mouse, and keyboard MIDI? That would leave the other USB C port to handle just the Hauptwerk dongle and digital audio out.

Does the fact that power is supplied via USB C mean that it’s 5 volts?

larason2

Re: USB C to USB B hub for Hauptwerk

PostTue Jul 04, 2023 9:21 am

I wouldn't worry if audio and Midi are both going through USB C. I do it all the time, and there's no problem. You can buy a port replicator that can power your computer, but they are pretty expensive. A computer needs 12v.

RaymondList

PostTue Jul 04, 2023 10:02 am

To second what Larason2 said, I run the Midi, the Audio, 2 USB LaunchPads, an SSD drive, and 2 "Spinning" drives (one of which contains Hauptwerk data, and at regular intervals, the drives "cross backup" and the SSD backs up the whole computer), through 1 USB-C port, which is also powering the computer. Never, ever had any glitches. Of course, it is a Mac so its ports are Thunderbolt. However, the source device is just a USB-C device, not Thunderbolt. Additionally, it is a quality multiport device that handles all of that (OWC).
Ray
Ray

organsRgreat

PostTue Jul 04, 2023 3:16 pm

Wow! I knew USB C was fast, but hadn’t realised just how much it can cope with. My thanks to you both – this makes things so much easier :D

larason2: The only way I have to get power into the computer is via the USB C port, and you say that a computer needs 12 volts. Does that mean the power lines on a USB C connection can handle 12 volts if necessary? I thought of USB as limited to 5 volts, but am I out of date? (As I’ve stated before on this forum my training is purely musical – electronics and computers are a hobby, so this site is a lifeline!).

mnailor

PostTue Jul 04, 2023 4:06 pm

I'd look up your support documentation before plugging any old charger into its USB-C charging port, just to be safe.

My laptop charges by USB-C and says it takes 5, 9, 15, or 20 V at 3 - 3.25 A, so I know I should be able to stick a 5 V charger in there even though its AC adapter is more powerful.

larason2

PostWed Jul 05, 2023 7:32 am

Computers use 12v, but most expensive electronics have a special regulator that can convert different voltages. Still, it's better to supply at or close to the 12v if possible, because it's less of a strain on the converter. For laptops, not all inputs will be able to charge your battery. For USB C port replicators, they usually mention if they can be used to power a computer or not. I got one that can, but it depends on the wiring and programming of the unit whether it will provide the necessary power through the voltage pin. So it's better to check, particularly if you're getting an expensive one.

larason2

PostWed Jul 05, 2023 7:37 am

Also, it depends on the specification and hardware, but USBC can provide up to 20v.

organsRgreat

PostSun Jul 09, 2023 8:37 am

My question about whether USB C can supply voltages higher than 5 was asked out of curiosity. Now that I know the second C-type port can cope simultaneously with MIDI, audio and anything else I ask of it, I shall continue to use the mains adapter that came with the computer to supply power via the other USB C port. The man who sold me the computer said to make certain I put power in through the port with a lightning symbol, so I’m taking care to always do that.

Return to Computer hardware / specs