It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:31 pm

E-MU 1212

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

wurlitzerwilly

E-MU 1212

PostTue Jun 23, 2009 5:48 pm

I built a PC for a customer a short while ago, using an E-MU 1212 sound card, which is also being used for MIDI input.
This has been trouble free until yesterday, when he had an alert from his virus software that he needed to re-register it.
Since then there has been no sound output and no detectable MIDI input.
He's uninstalled the virus software as the PC is never on the Internet and I've talked him through checking that all drivers appear to be OK, and that the sound card has not become dislodged.
Usual checks have been done with audio/MIDI hardware and all appears well. Hauptwerk has the correct audio settings and he's tried St Anne's to see if pressing keys with the mouse will produce sound, but they don't.
This is giving all the indications of a hardware failure, but before I have to have the PC in the workshop, I wonder if anyone else has seen this happen or knows of any issues with the E-MU 1212?
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

pwhodges

Re: E-MU 1212

PostWed Jun 24, 2009 6:32 am

My 1212m never did that, but recently my 1616m simply lost all output to the headphone socket. Everything seemed OK, as with you, and I was close to sending it off for repair; but it turned out that the cure was just to reinstall the driver (driver, not Patchmix - though I did both anyway).

Paul

wurlitzerwilly

PostWed Jun 24, 2009 2:39 pm

pwhodges wrote:My 1212m never did that, but recently my 1616m simply lost all output to the headphone socket. Everything seemed OK, as with you, and I was close to sending it off for repair; but it turned out that the cure was just to reinstall the driver (driver, not Patchmix - though I did both anyway).

Paul

Thanks Paul.

The guy is sending the PC down to me, so I'll get it on the bench.

It does seem likely that the driver has been 'hit', as it's an odd coincidence that he had problems with anti-virus software registration, just when the 1212 lost itself.

I'm of two minds at present whether to bother with anti-virus software, as the PC will never be on a network or the Internet and the customer's intelligent, so will virus check anything he downloads using the host PC, before transferring the file.

The PC should be here tomorrow or Friday and I'll certainly try re-installing the driver and post back here in when it's fixed, in case it helps someone else.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

gingercat

PostThu Jun 25, 2009 3:23 am

I would always stick AV software on a PC, you never know when a USB stick or CD/DVD will be put in the PC that may not have been checked. It's worth the slight performance hit (negligable as far as Hauptwerk is concerned once up and running) to avoid a wasted day doing a full re-install...
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

pwhodges

PostThu Jun 25, 2009 7:22 am

It is, however, only worthwhile if kept up to date, which means either an Internet connection, or regular manual updates. You can't rely on a stick only having old viruses on! This is perhaps a case where physical security and disabling the USB ports except when required is the better solution.

But best, just have a disk image of the fully configured machine on a spare portable disk, which can simply be rolled back in to replace an infected system.

Paul

wurlitzerwilly

PostThu Jun 25, 2009 4:52 pm

pwhodges wrote:It is, however, only worthwhile if kept up to date, which means either an Internet connection, or regular manual updates. You can't rely on a stick only having old viruses on! This is perhaps a case where physical security and disabling the USB ports except when required is the better solution.

But best, just have a disk image of the fully configured machine on a spare portable disk, which can simply be rolled back in to replace an infected system.

Paul

You make a very good point, Paul. As this particular PC will never be on the Internet and the client is not prepared to 'mess' with software. He just wants to play it!
The best way is likely to be passing all new software via another PC that does have up to date virus protection and checking.
I guess it will be the customers choice in the end, based on advice given.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

wurlitzerwilly

PostThu Jun 25, 2009 4:55 pm

gingercat wrote:I would always stick AV software on a PC, you never know when a USB stick or CD/DVD will be put in the PC that may not have been checked. It's worth the slight performance hit (negligable as far as Hauptwerk is concerned once up and running) to avoid a wasted day doing a full re-install...

Fortunately in this case, there is no CD/DVD player and the guy is very protective of his 'HW PC' so I don't think a USB stick will be introduced without him doing it.
For myself, I would always use AV software too.
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

wurlitzerwilly

PostTue Jun 30, 2009 2:18 pm

pwhodges wrote:My 1212m never did that, but recently my 1616m simply lost all output to the headphone socket. Everything seemed OK, as with you, and I was close to sending it off for repair; but it turned out that the cure was just to reinstall the driver (driver, not Patchmix - though I did both anyway).

Paul

I'm pleased to say that re-installing the driver cured the problem. :D
Regards,

Alan.
(Paramount Organ Works)

Return to Computer hardware / specs