It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:52 am

MacPro maximum RAM

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

JulianMoney-Kyrle

MacPro maximum RAM

PostSat Sep 05, 2009 6:14 am

I am running Hauptwerk with Leopard on a 2007 MacPro with 2 x dual-core Xeon processors and 13GB RAM. Having just bought the Freiberg surround organ I find that this is not quite enough to load all samples at 24-bit. According to the Crucial web site my mac can take up to 32GB RAM, but in the specifications when I bought it the maximum was 16GB. Which is correct?

I have also just bought four Behringer Trusth 3031A monitors, and it sounds superb with them. Next I need to find a suitable sub-woofer...

Thank-you,
Julian

mdyde

Re: MacPro maximum RAM

PostSat Sep 05, 2009 6:25 am

Hello Julian,

I can't give you a definite answer off-hand, but I know that in the past Apple have under-stated the maximum memory their computers can support, based on the largest available size of memory boards at the time the computer was launched. E.g. my 2008 MacBook Pro was specified by Apple at the time as supporting a maximum of 4 GB of memory, whereas when larger memory boards became available it turns out it's actually capable of using up to 6 GB.

I believe the same has been true with Mac Pros as well, although I don't know if that applies to your specific model.

If Crucial give a guarantee of compatibility then you might not have much to lose by ordering it and seeing if it works. I think there's a very good chance it will if they say so.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Grant_Youngman

PostSat Sep 05, 2009 8:43 am

JulianMoney-Kyrle wrote:I am running Hauptwerk with Leopard on a 2007 MacPro with 2 x dual-core Xeon processors and 13GB RAM. Having just bought the Freiberg surround organ I find that this is not quite enough to load all samples at 24-bit. According to the Crucial web site my mac can take up to 32GB RAM, but in the specifications when I bought it the maximum was 16GB. Which is correct?

Julian

I have the same Mac Pro version, fully loaded with 32G of RAM. No problems at all. I'm also using Crucial modules.
Grant

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostSat Sep 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Thank-you Grant and Martin. I think I shall go ahead and order the 8Gb kit (2 x 4Gb), which will give me 20Gb total. Rather annoying, really, as I have only fairly recently fitted 8Gb as 2Gb modules, and if I need to go above 20 I shall have to scrap them. Then again, I can see it won't be too long before the MacPro 4-core isn't up to it any more...

With Best Wishes,
Julian

Return to Computer hardware / specs