It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

DUAL VERSUS QUAD CORE AMD PROCESSORS

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

ian99

DUAL VERSUS QUAD CORE AMD PROCESSORS

PostSun Sep 20, 2009 1:15 am

Is there anything to be gained by changing the Athlon II 64 6500 for a Phenom x4 6500? (both run at 2.3GHz)

My Gigabyte GA-MA690-s3h socket AM2 motherboard will support the Phenom x4 though not to the HT3 spec.

(I using Vista Business 64bit)

Thanks,
Ian

Johannes Sørensen

Re: DUAL VERSUS QUAD CORE AMD PROCESSORS

PostSun Sep 20, 2009 4:47 am

Hello Ian

The processor(s) you mention I think is an AMD dual core speed 2.3GHz, 1MB (512KB each core) level 2 cache and 2MB level 3 cache.
It is made on the same core technology B3 as the 9x50 Phenom X4 (not Phenom II) processors except two cores instead of four.
I have seen this processor named as Athlon 64 X2 6500+, Phenom X2 6500+ or just Phenom 6500.
Processor naming can be confusing.

An upgrade from a dual core to a quad core processor can really increase the polyphony your computer can generate as Hauptwerk benefits very well from more processor cores.

Here is a list of processors supported by your motherboard GA-MA69G-S3H:
http://www.giga-byte.dk/products/mb/cpu ... 3h_10.html
It is a Danish site, but the list can be used anyway.

As you see some quad core Phenom and Phenom II processors are supported but not all.
The new generation Phenom II would be the better choice. The core technology is slightly improved and 45nm, the level 3 cache is 6MB (except two) and the power consumption is less at the same speed. On the list you can also see which BIOS version is needed to support a specific processor. If you need the BIOS to be updated, it shall be done before the processor is changed, and update it to the newest version.

You are welcome to ask again.

Best regards
Johannes
Last edited by Johannes Sørensen on Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

ian99

Re: DUAL VERSUS QUAD CORE AMD PROCESSORS

PostSun Sep 20, 2009 3:23 pm

Thank you for that.
I suppose I was really asking if HW could take advantage of the extra 2 cores and provide a tangible benefit given that the Phenom X4 I mentioned would appear to run at exactly the same speed as the 64x2 6500 on that Gigabyte mother board as it is socket Am2, not Am2+.

So you have answered my question. I may swap processors when prices fall a bit more but I don't want to replace the MB again so soon.

Ian

Return to Computer hardware / specs