It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:33 pm

Hesitation beetween QUAD and I7

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

GDay

Re: Hesitation beetween QUAD and I7

PostSun Nov 08, 2009 4:21 pm

Hello MIcdev,
I'm intent on putting together a new HW computer. After talking to 'my computer guy' (who had never heard of Hauptwerk), I'm quite confused, and hopefully you can help. He maintains:
1) Only I7 or quad core cpu / MO can actually support 16GB Ram
2) While other CPU /Mo say they support 16GB Ram, they likely can't
3) Never heard of anyone using more than 8GB for audio (like I said, he has never heard of HW)
4)for 16GB Ram use only parity, or buffered Ram
5) an 8GB system will be at least $2,000.

So . . . if I want a Windows7 16GB system, what do computer should/can I buy? ( right now I have an AsusP5B Core2 duo, which can use 8GB Ram. If I can't get a 16GB Ram system, then I will just upgrade to Windows7, and buy 4 x 2GB Ram for that machine.

I've decided that I want to load samples at 20 - 24 bits and really go for it. I'm planning on buying the Metz, and want max sound quailty. Your thoughts?
G'Day

I still have a few small chickens for sale . . .

micdev

Site Admin

PostSun Nov 08, 2009 6:19 pm

Hello G'day,

The memory limitation is more a question of chipset used; my Aus P5Q does support 16GB of memory, while your P5B like yours is limited to 8Gb (both MB support Quad core but have different chipset).

The idea is to find the processor we want to use and a motherboard that will support the max memory we're looking for. For Quad proc, there are many boards available that can use 16Gb of memory. The memory you will use will be dictated by the kind supported by the MB (ecc, non ecc, buffered, un-buffered etc).

Once again, my P5Q is using UN-Buffered, 16Gb of it and never had any problem.

Now, the i7 (I less familiar with it and didn't study it much yet), the main problem is the cost of memory; while you can get an affordable system with 12GB jumping to 16GB or 24GB (depends on the processor i7-i5 and MB) you will pay up to $2500 EXTRA just for the memory!!!! So i7 are right now interesting up to 12GB of memory, over that, well, you're better have a lot of $$$ available. Eventually memory price for the i7 will drop, but right now it is ridiculous.

For a Quad/16 or i7/12Gb you will probably pay between $1000 and $1500 and maybe less.

With Hw 3.3 and the Metz even a 8GB computer will load the Metz at 8Gb. I don't know with Core2 you have, but if I were you I would probably buy more memory (to go to 8Gb), W7/64 and the Metz.... I'm pretty sure that it work great. Even better, since yo already have 4Gb, just buy the Metz (loads @16 bits with /3gb) and play a while that way to make sure that your proc can handle it, then if it does, buy another 4 gb and W7... you will save a lot of $$$ and eventually, once memory price have dropped, go for a new i7 and 24GB...

Don't forget V3.3 gave a second life to your proc.

Hope this help a bit

Regards
François
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

GDay

PostSun Nov 08, 2009 8:58 pm

Hi Francois,

Thanks greatly for your imput. I've decided to upgrade my P5B to Windows7 home premium and 8 GB Ram. Certainly seems to be the most bang for the buck. I've also started to load favourite most used stops in 24bit stereo, and the rest in 16bit mono, which I think will a practical method to get the best sound, and the best Ram (and CPU usage I'm guessing) from my system. I'll report when I'm up and running again.
G'Day

kkiiwwii

PostSun Nov 08, 2009 9:01 pm

Maybe my experience is of not much help, but I have got a relatively cheap upgrade to win7 64 bit. It will load the haverhill with all loops and releases, lossless compression and in only 16 bit - much better than the limitations of 32 bit. I already had a quad core Q6600. I bought another separate hrd drive (1TB), changed up to 8 GB DDR2 RAM (motherboard maximum) and win 7 64 bit professional OEM version - cost with labour to install it just over NZ$800 = US$say 600. Followed Martin's instructions and copied contents of old hauptwerk folder of over 50 GB. It looks as if I will have to reset the midi input instrucions, but that will not be too time comsuming.
I am very happy with it.
As Jim from Hawaii said, one of the biggest curses of win7 is that there is no outlook express or windows mail programme - I believe we thank the european common union?
Charles Seppings

engrssc

PostSun Nov 08, 2009 9:19 pm

I just looked briefly, but I thought that download covered 1010LT's also.

Rgds,
Ed

GDay

PostSun Nov 08, 2009 10:15 pm

Hi Charles,
I might get a new HD, but not if I can help it. I currently have XP, so hopefully Windows7 will delete XP before it installs. I've partitioned, un-partitioned, installed and re-installed XP a few times on this Hd without too much problem, so I'm up to the challenge - but my preference is the least hassle route - I absolutely will be backing up and storing files before I dive in.
G'Day

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSun Nov 08, 2009 10:34 pm

I might get a new HD, but not if I can help it. I currently have XP, so hopefully Windows7 will delete XP before it installs. I've partitioned, un-partitioned, installed and re-installed XP a few times on this Hd without too much problem, so I'm up to the challenge - but my preference is the least hassle route - I absolutely will be backing up and storing files before I dive in.

Note that installing Windows 7 over Windows XP will require you to back up your data prior to installation since Windows 7 does not retain and migrate all of your programs and files from XP. Microsoft do offer a supposedly easy method for backing up and restoring your data using an external hard drive (I haven't tried it so cannot say how reliable it is) here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/windows-easy-transfer

The Windows 7 software box comes with a warning card making sure that you realize you cannot upgrade from XP to 7 without losing your files. So, please be aware of this important fact!

Also see:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -windows-7
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

GDay

PostMon Nov 09, 2009 10:07 am

Hi Brett,
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll be following the MS tutorial for XP to W7!
G'Day

schultzpo

PostTue Nov 10, 2009 2:56 am

kkiiwwii wrote:As Jim from Hawaii said, one of the biggest curses of win7 is that there is no outlook express or windows mail programme - I believe we thank the european common union?
Charles Seppings

The application replacing the Outlook Express is called Windows Live Mail. It’s similar to Outlook but contains some more useful (?) applications like a calendar. It’s not necessary to register any of Microsoft’s own mail accounts like Hotmail. I tried it and it works fine using my local ISP. This application can be downloaded from Microsoft. Search for “Windows Live Mail”.
Per S
Previous

Return to Computer hardware / specs