It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:53 am

In for a penny, in for a pound

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

GDay

In for a penny, in for a pound

PostMon Nov 09, 2009 10:47 pm

Well Francois was right in one of his posts when he said that at some point you will buy a new system. So here I go, I've bought W7 Home Premium ($120 CAN), and 8GB DDR2 800 ($200), now to pull the plug and start the operation . . . Doc, when I come to, will I be able to play the piano (er, organ). . . ?
G'Day

I still have a few small chickens for sale . . .

micdev

Site Admin

Re: In for a penny, in for a pound

PostTue Nov 10, 2009 6:57 am

G'Day,

With the 8GB and W7 + H3.30 you will bring new life to your computer... now you need to buy the Metz :lol: I was checking on Asus's website and your P5B board does support Quad core... so eventually you can buy a Quad processor if needed to replace your core duo for about 120 GBP.

Good luck with your upgrapde and please report with your first impressions of the Metz on this "upgraded" system

François
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

GDay

PostTue Nov 10, 2009 8:30 pm

A Few Hiccups . . .

I downloaded and ran the Windows7 Compatibility Advisor as Brett suggested. The program ran well and did it's job smoothly - it's good to know officially that my hardware is compatible with W7. Next ran Windows Easy Transfer - well that just didn't work, it did nothing. It's probably something I did, or didn't do, so I'm not complaining. Too bad, it sounded really useful. So I manually copied my files over to an external HD - no big deal, first hiccup over.

Then, as I had half expected, but hoped wasn't true, my Midisport 4x4 is not W7 compatible (Midisport4x4 aniversary edition is). I won't complain about M-Audio's lack of driver support, if you go to the M-Audio Forum, many people have complained for me already anyway. But somone in that forum suggested Cakewalk USB Midi interface UM-2G (1G= one midi port, 2G= 2 ports, 3G= 3 ports) which is W7 compatible. So a quick run down to the local music store (I could have bought online, but goshdarn, I wanted this thing right now), and $70 CAN later, second hiccup put to rest.

More as events develope . . .
G'Day

GDay

PostSat Nov 14, 2009 2:20 am

Well,
With a sigh of relief, Windows7 64 is now installed. I had a heck of a time; W7 64 just wouldn't boot on my XP32 even though this was supposed to be possible with a custom install. I tried every work-around i could think of, and finally bought a new HD (500GB $55 CAN), with still no success. In the end I reset the BIOS to it's default settings (which I hadn't done in the first place because as for as I knew, I had never changed the settings), and viola! W7 64 booted and loaded in less than 30 minutes. Other than the few days of futile scrambling, once I reset the BIOS, it was the easiest install I've ever done. Now to re-install the programs and see what this baby can do . . .
G'Day

Morse

PostSat Nov 14, 2009 4:23 pm

I just noticed that M-audio has released new drivers for the Midisport series, dated Nov 14, 2009! There are drivers for Windows 7 and the Midisport 4x4.
Unfortunately, this comes a few days late for you, G'Day.
In my case, I will now strongly consider upgrading my computer system to 64 bits. The disgusting thought of replacing my perfectly good Midisport 4x4 was holding me back.
Al Morse

GDay

PostSat Nov 14, 2009 5:59 pm

Hmm, should laugh or should I cry? Maybe I'll get lucky and my new UM-2G won't work!
G'Day

GDay

PostSun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Progress.

Plugged in the dongle, downloaded and installed HW3.3 without problems - smooooooth. Installed E-mu 1820 and DSP easily, had to download a missing driver from the E-mu site (not a very easy site to find drivers on, but I got there eventually), and the DSP loaded and ran - no hassles. Trnsferred HW Components/Samples/Temeraments from back-up to their respective files and opened them in HW as if nothing had ever happened. Except that now I can load St. Maximin Deluxe in 24bit stereo compressed, noise in 16bit mono.

Ram - 8gb (DDR2-800)
Usable with W7 etc installed - 6.95
Maximin Deluxe 24bit Stereo - 6.50
Unused - 350 mb

It just squeeks in, but it's in!

Now to download/install a driver for my Classic Organ Works MCU and I should be up and playing. Yeah! that's what I'm talkin' about!

Schyven loads 24bit stereo - 6.7GB
Skinner wet (original) 34bit stereo - 4.95GB
G'Day

GrahamH

PostWed Dec 02, 2009 2:25 pm

@ Al Morse

Hi Al - on 14 November you wrote
just noticed that M-audio has released new drivers for the Midisport series, dated Nov 14, 2009! There are drivers for Windows 7 and the Midisport 4x4.

I just searched M-Audio's website and failed to find 64 bit Vista drivers for the Midisport 4x4. They show 32 bit Vista drivers, and they show 64 bit drivers for the Anniversary Edition - but I can't find 64 bit drivers for the plain Midisport 4x4.
Did I miss something? Can you post a link please?

Graham

Morse

PostFri Dec 04, 2009 4:36 pm

I just revisited the m-audio site and apparently I was in error. The driver I downloaded is for the anniversary edition. Sorry for the miscue.
I think I'm about to join the ranks of m-audio haters. They certainly don't support their legacy products.
Al Morse

Return to Computer hardware / specs