It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:25 am

Which processor for the Skinner?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

psuorganguy

Which processor for the Skinner?

PostTue Jan 05, 2010 11:37 pm

Hello everyone,
I am currently building a Hauptwerk organ and I want to use the Skinner organ for my main instrument. I'm not sure how much processor I need to successfully run this organ. Here is what I am thinking:

Either a Core 2 Quad q9550 Yorkfield 2.83 GHz or an Intel Core i5. (I'm not opposed to AMD but I wasn't sure how they work with Hauptwerk)

I am also planning on using 8 GB of RAM.

I am open to any thoughts and ideas because I'm really not sure how fast of a processor I need for this instrument.

Thanks!

gingercat

Re: Which processor for the Skinner?

PostWed Jan 06, 2010 3:41 am

Which Skinner? The original wet one or the Masterworks (dry) one? In any case, either of the processors you mention shuold easily cope with either, and I would imagine should also have enough grunt to run convolution reverb on the dry set if you need it.
Regards,
Chris Blaylock
i5 4670k, 32GB RAM, Win7, 2xELO 1280x1024 Touchscreens, Focusrite Saffire, MIDISport 4x4
4 Manual Console, 32 R&C Pedalboard, 3xExpression, Solenoid coupler tabs

ten87

PostWed Jan 06, 2010 6:43 am

psuorganguy wrote:Hello everyone,
I am currently building a Hauptwerk organ and I want to use the Skinner organ for my main instrument. I'm not sure how much processor I need to successfully run this organ. Here is what I am thinking:

Either a Core 2 Quad q9550 Yorkfield 2.83 GHz or an Intel Core i5. (I'm not opposed to AMD but I wasn't sure how they work with Hauptwerk)

I am also planning on using 8 GB of RAM.

I am open to any thoughts and ideas because I'm really not sure how fast of a processor I need for this instrument.

Thanks!

I'm using an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 with 8GB RAM with no problems running the Masterworks Skinner under XP 64. I tried Vista 64 with no end of problems. I have all samples loaded at 24 bit. You'll see it on Saturday. :-)

Terry

Paul White

PostWed Jan 06, 2010 6:46 am

I have only just completed an upgrade, going for the i5-750 and 8GB RAM. My original thought was a Q9400, but the i5 was only marginally more expensive, and offers better performance. The 1156-based MB that I chose (Intel DP55WG) was a bit pricier than the 775 alternative, however the benefit is DDR3 RAM, and what should be a future rock solid expansion to 16GB when the time comes, as I am sure it will! If the CPU ever becomes a problem, there are a couple of i7s for the 1156 MB today, and that will probably get better in the future.

So I think the total i5 option is now better value than the 775-based CPUs, but cheaper than the 1366 and Xeon systems, without ignoring the pricing differences between countries. With the wonderful advancements in HW performance from Ver 3.30, there should be a bit of breathing space before another forklift upgrade is required (after more than 40 years in the IT industry, I imagine that I should be a little more cautious about statements like that!!).

I had very easy Win7 64-bit and HW installation, with no problems restoring my original environment. I was intending to do a polyphony test, but I could only get 16 keys depressed on my Johannus, before keys started dropping. Martin pointed to this possibility in response to an earlier posting. However for what it is worth, with 16 keys (125 pipes per key), Task Manager showed around 10-11 percent CPU utilization. I don't exactly know how you extrapolate that.

HW and the MW Skinner running with all ranks in 24-bit stereo uses around 5.6GB, load time close to 40 seconds. I don't see a problem with the i5 and 8GB for your requirement, and you have more than a bit of room to grow.

Regards,
Paul White
Melbourne

psuorganguy

PostWed Jan 06, 2010 10:03 am

Sorry, I forgot that there are two Skinners. I will be using the Masterworks Skinner.

Return to Computer hardware / specs