It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:00 pm

MACPRO 12 core , 32gb and ipad with remote desktop

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

dralanrobinson

Re: MACPRO 12 core , 32gb and ipad with remote desktop

PostFri Oct 29, 2010 7:29 am

Hi,

Air display is simply an extended desktop and needs the primary keyboard on the host. Desktop connect allows full use of Ipad controls including scrolling ad is a remote rather than extended desktop. Both have their uses but I prefer the Desktop connect. Altogether more sophisticated.

Cheers

Alan

Lougheed

PostFri Oct 29, 2010 4:07 pm

dralanrobinson wrote:Hi,

Air display is simply an extended desktop and needs the primary keyboard on the host. Desktop connect allows full use of Ipad controls including scrolling ad is a remote rather than extended desktop. Both have their uses but I prefer the Desktop connect. Altogether more sophisticated.

Thanks, Alan. My computer is located and one end of the room, with the organ at the other. It is a Rodgers console, so my current practice is to select the various stops, set pistons in Hauptwerk and then use the Rodgers physical pistons. However, when I drag Hauptwerk to the second (touch screen) the menu for saving etc. is on the other monitor at the far end of the room. It would seem that perhaps with Desktop connect, I would be able to do it all from the console, using the iPad. Can I test this out with my iPhone, before investing in an iPad?

Lougheed

PostFri Oct 29, 2010 4:09 pm

Desktop Connect by Antecea. Is this the one?

mrkniz

PostFri Oct 29, 2010 8:17 pm

This is a fascinating thread. I just bought a KeyTec touch screen. I was going to buy two, but given the developments in touchscreen technology, this one-touch-at-a-time is going to be antiquated relatively soon. Also, having been an Apple devotee for some sixteen years, I have watched certain patterns emerge. The technology from a MacPro slowly makes its way into the less expensive models. Mac Minis are now dual core with 8 Gb Ram capacity. One iMac boasts quadcore and 16Gb RAM, etc.

So I can't help but wonder if the iPad touchscreen technology is going to find its way into the next generation iMacs and into a new type of monitor for the MacPro and Mac Mini.

I love the idea of the iPad for a touchscreen, but isn't it a tad small?

Just think! You can read the New York Times during the sermon!

Lougheed

PostFri Oct 29, 2010 9:43 pm

The iPad may be small, but it is high def! And frankly, the smaller size has appeal to me. I HATE a big hunking 19" LCD display perhaps on my beautiful Rodgers consoles, along with power cable, video cable and Magic Touch cable.

dralanrobinson

PostSat Oct 30, 2010 7:13 am

Yes it is the A......... one and yes it should work on an iphone. The ipad sits nicely on my Viscount music desk and the screen is plenty big enough.

Alan

G3

PostSat Oct 30, 2010 8:51 am

dralanrobinson,

How about a photo of your setup with the iPad?

George (G3)
Owner/Builder of Hammond-Hauptwerks X-66 3-manual organ.

Lougheed

PostSat Oct 30, 2010 11:37 am

dralanrobinson wrote:Yes it is the A......... one and yes it should work on an iphone. The ipad sits nicely on my Viscount music desk and the screen is plenty big enough.

I have tested the app on my iPhone 4 and it works. I find when I select a stop, by touching it on the iPhone, the sound is available right away, but the stop lighting up takes a bit of time. (It lights up from the top down). Do you experience the same thing on your iPad? (Perhaps I don't have my setup optimized.) I'm using the recommended setup for OS-X, enabling screen sharing, and using my WiFi.

I went to the store today to check out the iPad. It is indeed a small wee thing, however, I too would be using it sitting on the music desk of my Rodgers console, so don't see a problem, as long as the Hauptwerk sample set is optimized for 1024 x 768. Since that is the resolution of the iPad, I guess this means that organ sample sets that require a higher resolution would not work. Would this be correct?

Other than these two issues, I'm ready to pull the trigger.

mdyde

PostSat Oct 30, 2010 12:55 pm

Hello Lawrence,

as long as the Hauptwerk sample set is optimized for 1024 x 768. Since that is the resolution of the iPad, I guess this means that organ sample sets that require a higher resolution would not work. Would this be correct?

I can't advise reliably on iPad remote-desktop compatibility (I haven't tried it myself, and I don't have an iPad), but the forthcoming Hauptwerk v4.0 will allow you to zoom its virtual console:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7212&p=50808#p50792

In v4.0 the virtual consoles can auto-zoom to fill the available space (but preserving their aspect ratios, so that round draw-knobs remain round, etc.). That does allow virtual consoles to fit on screens that would previously have been too small. However, many of the sample sets that required 1280x1024 did so because they had a lot of controls to fit on the screen, so zooming them for smaller resolutions might make their controls more awkward to read and use.

Hope that helps to some degree.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Lougheed

PostSat Oct 30, 2010 1:22 pm

dralanrobinson wrote:The ipad sits nicely on my Viscount music desk and the screen is plenty big enough.

Alan -

What organs are you running, using the iPad?

Thanks,

Lawrence

Keys61

PostSat Oct 30, 2010 8:03 pm

I installed Desktop Connect on my iPad.... And it works great. Had friends over last night sitting on the couch fooling with registrations as I was playing the Paramount 320. They can also just sit and see all the stop changes I make, or the console view. Isn't technology fun. (when it works!) :mrgreen:
Steve Schlesing

dralanrobinson

PostSun Oct 31, 2010 6:33 am

Hi

Its possible to resize the consul using ipad pinch and zoom to fill the screen. use it with velosovo,Metz, salisbury, Haverhill etc

Alan

mdyde

PostSun Oct 31, 2010 7:00 am

Hello Alan,

Are you referring to the forthcoming Hauptwerk v4.0 zoom functionality, or to some other non-Hauptwerk functionality (e.g. an iPad remote desktop application)?

There's no explicit functionality in Hauptwerk for iPad hardware, since Hauptwerk isn't a native iPad application.

In Hauptwerk v4 the main Hauptwerk window can be freely resize and freely positioned (it retains and remembers its size and position regardless of the organ loaded) and v4 automatically just zooms the virtual console to fill the main window. (The same applies for additional console windows in the Advanced Edition.) Alternatively, you can turn zooming off, in which case it will show the virtual console at its original pixel size but allow you to scroll around it.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

dralanrobinson

PostSun Oct 31, 2010 9:28 am

Hello,

No nothing to do with HW. Simply that the screen appeared centrally on the Ipad and didnt fill the desktop. I was able to use the ipad feature and fill the ipad screen by two finger zoom which adjusts the aspect in both x and y axis.

Alan

Lougheed

PostWed Nov 17, 2010 8:25 pm

I've been testing iPad + Desktop Connect with Hauptwerk for the last several days. I have a few more days to decide to either keep it or return it.

One thing that is not satisfactory is that the window, i.e. Hauptwerk is not locked into position on the iPad screen, so if you are not precise with the finger "click", the Hauptwerk app will move. The you have to reposition.

Is there a way to resize, to fill the screen, and then lock into position?

Thanks,

Lawrence
PreviousNext

Return to Computer hardware / specs