It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:32 pm

HW 4 and OS X Lion

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

dflick

HW 4 and OS X Lion

PostTue Jul 19, 2011 6:42 pm

Its being announced that the new OS will be out tomorrow. Where does compatibility stand with HW 4? Should we play it safe and hold off until further testing?

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: HW 4 and OS X Lion

PostTue Jul 19, 2011 7:36 pm

We'll be downloading and installing Lion tomorrow and will post results for compatibility with Hauptwerk once we're finished testing. Therefore please hold off upgrading until we've officially tested for Hauptwerk compatibility. If you for some reason need to upgrade please note we won't be able to officially support it. Of course we hope that there won't be any issues anyway, but it's best to be safe and wait until we've posted our results and update the requirements page on the website.

For the time being our officially supported operating systems for Hauptwerk 4 are still the same as listed here:

http://www.hauptwerk.com/requirements

Thank you.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

mdyde

PostWed Jul 20, 2011 5:17 am

Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

John Murdoch

PostWed Jul 20, 2011 7:14 am

FWIW, there were very significant problems with OS X 10.6.7 and how it handled fonts--Mac users of Sibelius (and, I believe, other music notation software) were simply clobbered, and were not able to revert back to a previous version of the OS. Apple only managed to issue a fix for the problem a couple of months ago.

Brett and Martin are saying "wait until we test..." I'd wait till then--and then keep waiting for several more months, until somebody you know, using essentially the same gear you do, upgrades first.

steve till

PostWed Jul 20, 2011 9:00 am

Oh darn, I was hoping for 4 cores and 16 Gb ram.
But Apple website is showing max 2 core i7 and 8 Gb.
I cannot afford a Mac Pro, so end-of-Mac is upon me.
It's been fun for the past 25 years.

mdyde

PostWed Jul 20, 2011 9:06 am

Oh darn, I was hoping for 4 cores and 16 Gb ram.
But Apple website is showing max 2 core i7 and 8 Gb.
I cannot afford a Mac Pro, so end-of-Mac is upon me.

Apart from the Mac Pros, the current iMacs and MacBook Pros both have quad-core Sandy Bridge processors.
Best regards, Martin.

steve till

PostWed Jul 20, 2011 10:32 am

mdyde wrote:... the current iMacs and MacBook Pros both have quad-core Sandy Bridge processors.

Yes I know, but I don't want yet another display.
I just want two touch screens.
I can't say I'm going back to a PC,
because the last computer I had before
I got a Mac was a Z-80 with CP/M.

pat17

PostWed Jul 20, 2011 11:22 am

It is believed the new Mac Mini would be released after Lion is available on the market... Wait (a little) and see, as this new version might at last drop the Duo Core processor...

Marco

PostWed Jul 20, 2011 1:08 pm

the new mac mini was announced today as far as I can see, you can get a quad core i7 if you want (although "only" 2.0ghz) but you have to spring for os/x server, the normal os/x mac minis are still all dual core. Also max 8gb at least on the apple configuration page.

petersorgan

PostWed Jul 20, 2011 2:03 pm

Hello.everyone,
I've tested the Hauptwerk 4 with Lion now and everything Works fine. No problems with the installation. Programms Works faster.
Greetings from Switzerland :D
Peter Maurer

mdyde

PostWed Jul 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Hello Peter,

I've tested the Hauptwerk 4 with Lion now and everything Works fine. No problems with the installation. Programms Works faster.
Greetings from Switzerland

Thanks for the test results.

We're still working on testing here, but will hopefully have some preliminary results to publish soon.

the new mac mini was announced today as far as I can see, you can get a quad core i7 if you want (although "only" 2.0ghz) but you have to spring for os/x server, the normal os/x mac minis are still all dual core. Also max 8gb at least on the apple configuration page.

Hello Marco/Steve,

Thanks for that - I didn't spot the quad-core 'server' option. It might well be the case that third-party memory manufacturers will start to make 16 GB memory kits for the new Mac Minis, as OWC already do for the MacBook Pros (for which Apple currently offers a maximum of 8 GB):

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade

(Although 8 GB memory boards are expensive at the moment.)
Best regards, Martin.

ajt

PostWed Jul 20, 2011 6:00 pm

John Murdoch wrote:FWIW, there were very significant problems with OS X 10.6.7 and how it handled fonts--Mac users of Sibelius (and, I believe, other music notation software) were simply clobbered

Really? I never had any problems at all! Sibelius 5 - maybe because I'm behind...
Adrian

Marco

PostWed Jul 20, 2011 7:40 pm

mdyde wrote:Thanks for that - I didn't spot the quad-core 'server' option. It might well be the case that third-party memory manufacturers will start to make 16 GB memory kits for the new Mac Minis, as OWC already do for the MacBook Pros (for which Apple currently offers a maximum of 8 GB):

I guess anybody buying a new mac mini for HW will also have to invest in an external DVD reader since it doesn't come with one (!) that or sample set producers might have to start sending out sets on usb flash drives instead of DVDs...

mdyde

PostThu Jul 21, 2011 7:20 am

Some third-party reviews of OS X Lion (not related to Hauptwerk specifically):

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/20/lion-reviews-are-out-great-value-shakes-things-up-very-few-bugs/
Best regards, Martin.

John Murdoch

PostThu Jul 21, 2011 9:07 am

Really? I never had any problems at all! Sibelius 5 - maybe because I'm behind...

I'm sort of surprised--not a lot changed between Sib 5 and Sib 6. Mac users would install OS X 10.6.7, and then find that lots of graphic things no longer worked--like note heads, time signatures, etc. Maybe it only affected Sibelius 6 users.
Next

Return to Computer hardware / specs