It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:03 am

Convolution Reverb Tutorial

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

sschaub

Convolution Reverb Tutorial

PostFri Apr 13, 2012 1:28 pm

I created a short tutorial with a video that shows how I set up Hauptwerk 4 to add reverb. I think my procedure is simpler than ones I have seen described elsewhere. It's also an inexpensive approach (the software is all free or donationware).

http://stephenschaub.org/hauptwerk/ReverbSetup.php

I hope others find it helpful.

Stephen
Last edited by sschaub on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ronnymn

Re: Convolution Reverb Tutorial

PostFri Apr 13, 2012 5:25 pm

Thanks so much!!! One question. Why did you choose 32 bit and not 64?-for Hw plug in?. Goodness knows why, but I would have selected 64 were it not for your demo.
Ron in Minnesota

sschaub

PostFri Apr 13, 2012 7:38 pm

ronnymn wrote:Why did you choose 32 bit and not 64?-for Hw plug in?. Goodness knows why, but I would have selected 64 were it not for your demo.

I believe I have read that, even when using 64 bit Windows, you'll have better success with 32 bit VST plugins, unless all of the software in the VST chain is 64 bit (including the audio driver). And, 32 bit worked for me.

Stephen

cvmoreau

PostSat Apr 14, 2012 6:54 am

Stephen, I can't begin to thank you enough. I was messing around with Reaper, off and on, for several days and never did even get sound, much less Reverb. With your method, I had it up and running in just minutes!

Since I just purchased the PAB Medium set, this could not have come at a better time.

Again, your efforts are appreciated. (I just hope this thread is seen in this forum section!)

-Chris

toplayer2

PostSat Apr 14, 2012 8:08 am

Stephen,

Nice work! I posted the link to your tutorial on the VTPO forum and within the first hour had a report of successful implementation from a user.

If you feel up to it, a second tutorial demonstrating multi-channel reverb would be a welcome addition.

Joe Hardy
Paramount Organ Works
VTPO Moderator

Kronenberg II

PostSat Apr 14, 2012 9:38 am

Having sucessfully installed Reverberate LE and Cantabile 2, I come to a full stop when clicking 'New plug-in' in the Cantabile set-up. I get a blank window with no option of Hauptwerk VST link or ReverberateLE. Any clue as to whats wrong? Otherwise, this looks a very promising package for reverb.

Richard

elpaharo

PostSat Apr 14, 2012 9:42 am

sschaub wrote:
ronnymn wrote:Why did you choose 32 bit and not 64?-for Hw plug in?. Goodness knows why, but I would have selected 64 were it not for your demo.

I believe I have read that, even when using 64 bit Windows, you'll have better success with 32 bit VST plugins, unless all of the software in the VST chain is 64 bit (including the audio driver). And, 32 bit worked for me.

Stephen

Stephen

Excellent job on the tutorial.

Bill :)
Last edited by elpaharo on Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elpaharo

PostSat Apr 14, 2012 9:46 am

Kronenberg II wrote:Having sucessfully installed Reverberate LE and Cantabile 2, I come to a full stop when clicking 'New plug-in' in the Cantabile set-up. I get a blank window with no option of Hauptwerk VST link or ReverberateLE. Any clue as to whats wrong? Otherwise, this looks a very promising package for reverb.

Richard

Richard, it sounds to me like you need to go into Setup|Plugin Options and use the ADD button to tell Cantabile where to look for your Plugin(s).

For example, the Hauptwerk link is known as HauptwerkVSTLink-64bit.dll or HauptwerkVSTLink-32bit.dll and is located (on my computer) in "c:\Program Files\Hauptwerk Viartual Pipe Organ VST Link Plug-In" therefore you need to tell Cantabile to look in that directory for that plugin.

As to the ReverberateLE.dll, it is located in c:\Program Files\VSTPlugins (on my system where I had the installer put it) So, you also need to tell Cantabile where the installer placed the dll file.

If you do not remember where they are then just do a Windows search for the file names that I listed above.

Bill
Last edited by elpaharo on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

sschaub

PostSat Apr 14, 2012 10:27 am

Kronenberg II wrote:Having sucessfully installed Reverberate LE and Cantabile 2, I come to a full stop when clicking 'New plug-in' in the Cantabile set-up. I get a blank window with no option of Hauptwerk VST link or ReverberateLE.

Richard

Richard,

When you click 'New plug-in', a drop-down menu opens. One of the options is 'Choose file / plugin'. Click that option, then you can browse to find the Hauptwerk VST or Reverberate LE plug-in.

Stephen

sschaub

PostSat Apr 14, 2012 10:38 am

elpaharo wrote:Excellent job on the tutorial.

For what it's worth, from Reaper 3.2 onwards, a 32-bit bridge is built in, and you do not need any extra SW to use 32-bit plugins in 64-bit Reaper. As a result, you can run 32 bit and 64 bit VST plugins; the current rev is 4.22/64 bit Reaper.

I agree that Cantabile is easier to learn and set up, but, Reaper has a lot of excellent features to consider as well.

Bill :)

Bill,

Thanks for the kind words and for the info on Reaper. I agree that Reaper is a great package; it is the first one I tried. I use Cantabile Lite because it's free and easier to set up for the casual user. I am hoping the tutorial will allow more users to have success with Hauptwerk and reverb.

Stephen

sschaub

PostSat Apr 14, 2012 10:40 am

toplayer2 wrote:Nice work! I posted the link to your tutorial on the VTPO forum and within the first hour had a report of successful implementation from a user.

If you feel up to it, a second tutorial demonstrating multi-channel reverb would be a welcome addition.

Joe,

Thanks for posting the link to my tutorial. It's great to hear of someone having success with it.

I wish I could do a multi-channel reverb tutorial, but I have only a stereo setup at present.

Stephen

Kronenberg II

PostSat Apr 14, 2012 12:36 pm

I am still having problems setting up this reverb. I have now managed(somehow) to get the ReverberateLE plug-in onto the Cantabile menu but can't get Hauptwerk there. How is it that the demo sample automatically picks up the presence of Reverberate LE and Hauptwerk?

Richard

cvmoreau

PostSat Apr 14, 2012 1:00 pm

Richard, I think you may be mistaken, the demo does not automatically pick up the plug-ins, you have to browse to them. I know, because I just followed the demo, this morning, and all works perfectly. I think you probably just missed that step in the procedure.

I wish you good luck!
-Chris

Kronenberg II

PostSat Apr 14, 2012 1:37 pm

Thanks for your reply Chris. I appear to have a problem with Hauptwerk plug-in initalisation failing each time. I got a message about jBridge at one point. Is there incompatibility if your system is 64 bit?

Richard

elpaharo

PostSat Apr 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Kronenberg II wrote:Thanks for your reply Chris. I appear to have a problem with Hauptwerk plug-in initalisation failing each time. I got a message about jBridge at one point. Is there incompatibility if your system is 64 bit?

Richard

Richard

If you are seeing a jBridge message then it is possible you are running 64 bit Cantabile Lite and should be loading the 64 bit Hauptwerk AU/VST Plugin.

Bill :mrgreen:
Last edited by elpaharo on Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Amplification