It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 10:42 am

New 6 channel sets and speaker positioning?

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

New 6 channel sets and speaker positioning?

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 10:31 pm

Hello all,

I've been reading with great interest about a new 6 channel method of recording that seems to be emerging and it's got me wondering if we should be considering a speaker re-arrangement when using one of these sets? In particular, the new Sonus Paradisi set with the recording layout shown here. http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/media/wysiw ... granks.jpg

I know MDA also released a set (St. Eucaire which I own and sounds great!) with similar features where you can adjust the aspect ratio of the set, but I don't know if it was recorded in the same or similar way.

Looking for some feeback from the other audiophiles here as to would it make sense with sets like this for best results in a multi-channel situation to position speaker pairs front, mid and back? Haven't tried it yet but the more I look at it the more this makes sense to me anyways.

Marc

rhedgebeth

Re: New 6 channel sets and speaker positioning?

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 6:21 am

I'm not clear as to whether the output is six discrete channels or whether the close/diffuse samples are output as composite front channels.
Richard S Hedgebeth
Westminster Organ Works
Authorized Hauptwerk reseller
http://Westminsterorganworks.com

1961TC4ME

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 12:56 pm

rhedgebeth wrote:I'm not clear as to whether the output is six discrete channels or whether the close/diffuse samples are output as composite front channels.

Well, I guess we could say each is a discreet channel, but I assume all 6 channels are recorded at the same time. Even if this is the case, with mid channels / mics recording in a mid-position, it at least to me would not make a lot of sense to pair up the front and mid speakers (much like you don't pair up front and rear speakers) in the same location and one would instead want them positioned more like you see in the above mic diagram, like in a surround set-up or at a movie theatre for the best effect which is front, mid and rear. I could be wrong though. I thought I was once but it turned out to be a mistake! :lol: Would be interested to hear more, perhaps from one of the set producers if they care to give more detail.

Marc

Eric Sagmuller

PostSun Sep 28, 2014 4:51 pm

For some time now Jiri has recorded both direct and diffuse locations of a number of organs. Until at least recently I'm not aware they could be channeled to play through different outputs at the same time. I'm guessing the slider between the two just feeds one set of outputs. I don't think Jiri checks this forum regularly, so might be good to send him an e-mail.

Eric

1961TC4ME

PostMon Sep 29, 2014 10:08 am

Eric Sagmuller wrote:For some time now Jiri has recorded both direct and diffuse locations of a number of organs. Until at least recently I'm not aware they could be channeled to play through different outputs at the same time. I'm guessing the slider between the two just feeds one set of outputs. I don't think Jiri checks this forum regularly, so might be good to send him an e-mail.
Eric

I might do that, it would be interesting to have him give a bit more detail on how it all works.

Marc

1961TC4ME

PostMon Sep 29, 2014 2:32 pm

I emailed Jiri on this, hopefully he will reply with further details. :)

Marc

zurek

PostMon Sep 29, 2014 3:14 pm

Dear Marc, thank you for bringing my attention to this.
My intention was quite simple: the direct and diffuse front channels should be mixed into one audio output, both together. Then, with the direct/diffuse slider, you can move toward the organ (direct) or away from the organ (diffuse).
The intention was to make it possible to hear the organ from different spots in the church, because I know that some Hauptwerk users prefer diffuse sound with huge reverberation, while some other prefer more direct sound while pipes are speaking "to your face". So, I tried to serve both these approaches. First, I wanted to do two independent ODFs (as I did for the Menesterol sample set, for example), but then, I combined both.
To a big surprise of one of my collaborator (who is rather purist in audio setups), it proved working. The big challenge was the partial cancellation of some harmonics due to the phase differences. Indeed, it was a problem, but some tweaking made this problem minimal. I have also other possible explanation why the phase cancellation or a comb filtering or similar known issues when combining two audio streams is not a big problem here, but that is not important.

Obviously, if you or other user find another setup better suiting your wishes and needs, feel free to do whatever you want. Someone was describing a multichannel setup as in cinema here above. I do not think that is much useful in this case, although, if someone tried it and found pleasing, I have no objection to such a use.

What I find a little bit difficult is the direct organ sound. Several organists (top organists) told me an interesting observation: while the sound of individual stops is much "nicer" when heard in the direct way, the plenum is horrible when heard from the short distance (direct approach). It sounds even "unnatural" to them. Yes, for this reason they choose to "sacrifice" the direct sound on individual stops and they stay with the diffuse sound where the plenum sounds acceptable and "nice" to them. Yes, I know this problem for years, indeed, from the beginning of my organ recording adventure, but I confess that I have not found an optimal solution to this problem until now.
Yes, I know that some other very good sample set producers mix the near microphones with the diffuse microphones in a clever way, and I always admired this kind of approach, since it is proven to give very good results, but at the same time, it tends to create somewhat different instrument than what the real organ is. You visit the church, and you find that the organ sounds not as in the sample set. Well, why not, because the illusion created is spectacular. I am far from criticising this approach, it is indeed very good approach. But I was trying to find my own way. And especially, I always wanted to "walk" virtually through the church and move my ears. For some time, I believed in convolution and digitally added reverb to achieve this, but well, it is still a path which remains to be studied in greater depth in future. Certainly, the simple approach with only few IRs per channel does not give results convincing enough. It seems that a massive-number-of-IRs approach would give the result we want, but the technical means to achieve that are still rather limited.

Hence the Sonus Paradisi odyssey: we started to make sample sets from positions quite near to the instrument. Then, I found this approach not so good, and I started to look for a "sweet spot" farther from the organ. Probably the best example of this approach is the Utrecht sample set, which is almost extremely wet. Then, I found this approach not good enough, and I was again going more and more near to the organ. But, at the same time, I left the microphones also in the diffuse position. (Oh, well, this is still not the full story, because we sometimes record with 18 or even more microphones, but that is not important.) Now, I wish to see, how my users find this 6 channel approach. I hope that the freedom of virtual movement through the church can be positive for the Hauptwerk users. But I still wait for more feedback, when Brasov sample set reaches more Hauptwerk audience through weeks and months to come.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz

1961TC4ME

PostMon Sep 29, 2014 3:54 pm

Hello Jiri,

Thanks very much for your detailed reply! I find all this to be very interesting and I very much appreciate you taking the time to explain your goals in recording and producing your very fine sample sets. It was indeed me that referred to cinema type sound or playback for lack of a better word, and I wasn't sure if you were doing the same with discreet channels or what exactly you were doing, so I'm glad you set me straight on that.

I very much agree with the idea of being able to move virtually in the church to hear the organ from different perspectives and allowing the user to choose their own "sweet spot." I think this is a great idea that we've started to see with a few of the more recent sets from both you and MDA, (and others?), it adds much realism which I'm 100% all for, and I feel this approach will only get better with time.

Thanks again,

Marc

Romanos

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 10:44 am

Jiri--

thanks for the reply. I love your current 6 channel approach. I am one of those users who loves to hear the organ from a closer perspective (I'm so extreme I wish there was an option to hear the organ from the console itself!) however I love the reverb too. In the case of the previously-referenced St. Eucaire organ, I have routed the console perspective to front speakers and the church perspective to rear channels. I love the result because I get the clarity of the console perspective with the feel of the room as a whole (which is just as important to achieving a realistic experience!) This new 6 channel approach strikes me as even better because it would allow a little bit of raw mixed in for sheer clarity / console feel, with the diffuse perspective which is still pretty clear and lively with the reverb sent to rear channels for added realism without muddying things up. I'm all for it!

Return to Amplification