It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:03 pm

HW with a 5.1 amplifier?

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Re: HW with a 5.1 amplifier?

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 12:02 am

Hi Eric,

I agree! If a person is going to dump the kind of money it looks like those speakers would cost, I'd want to bring them home first and try them out for myself for a few days (chances of that happening are slim to none) or at a minimum get a good listen in someone's home first that already has them which I'm sure is also going to be next to impossible, so you kind of have to take that leap of faith and this part would make me very leery. Then there's also the question of what amp the sellers using in the store for the demo and are you willing / able to get the same thing? Any deviation could completely change things. I've always been more along the lines of start with what equipment you can reasonably afford, set it up and use it to it's best advantage, then upgrade as finances permit where you feel the weak points are and go from there. I've had kind of a conglomeration of parts and pieces to form an 8 channel + sub set-up for the past couple of years, it has amazed me how good it can sound, and at the same time how bad I can make it sound! :lol:

Marc

amun

Re: HW with a 5.1 amplifier?

PostThu Nov 20, 2014 2:14 am

Eric Sagmuller wrote:
TheOrganDoc wrote:"PC und Musik's" Speaker Cabinets appear very interesting,
as they produce output from 30 to 20,000 HZ and disperse sound in a 360 degree pattern !
If I am correct, they are about 12" square and about 36" high .

Hmm, these do seem very interesting, but extremely expensive in my opinion. It appears that they are made just for organ use, and specifically mention HW, as well as does the next similar speaker listed a bit below. I would be very hesitant to buy these without a review and positive feedback from a number of buyers. Also for home use they would involve the room much more, so might not be so good a choice. Also it would be nice to be able to read about them in English.

Eric

Eric,

You are pointing out the most important issues. They seem
- quite expensive, but ranking them in comparison to the whole quality range of frontal speakers is almost impossible. If they are really worth their money therefore depends on personal judgement after testing them.
- after all the comments I have read they seem more suitable for reproduction of organ samples than for HiFi Audio purposes. One of the testers says that they are best in combination with frontal speakers.

IMHO the (theoretical?) advantage of the spherical sound emission of the HW output and its resulting air-mixed reflections of the actual room is that this comes pretty close
- to the spherical sound emission of real pipes and
- the air-mixing conditions of pipes and their reflections with-in the organ chamber/tower.

I can confirm the described effects for my Paramount 341 Theatre Organ (dry plus small amount of reverb )
setup, which additionally is supported by a second sub....off course for my personal taste! :roll:

Rgds,
Amun :wink:
Previous

Return to Amplification