It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:17 pm

My take on 4 different audio groupings and loading options

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

My take on 4 different audio groupings and loading options

PostTue Nov 25, 2014 10:07 pm

Hello all,

A few weeks ago I said I'd try get this posted and finally have found the time so here goes, I will be as brief and to the point as possible. I have been experimenting with multiple ways to both route the audio and load one organ in particular, the sizeable Zurek v5 which is a very nice and also free composite / surround set organ with fairly wet but not drenched acoustics, it's sound gives the impression of a very large church to borderline cathedral sound. I chose to use this organ only with the intent of being able to make good comparisons between each layout I will describe below and what results I heard. This pertains to wet sets only as I have not tried it with any other set (i.e. a dry set), and using 8 channels (4 stereo pairs) of audio. I hope my experimenting here will help others in their quest for that certain sound they are after or in deciding how they want to set up their sound system.

First, my sound system is kind of a mix and match of decent but by no stretch of the imagination top shelf components, some of the names are familiar like Polk, Pioneer, JVC and so on, I also use 2 BBE Sonic Maximizers on channels 1-2 and 5-6 and will eventually get one more for 3-4. I'm sure with better components it would sound even better but is pretty good as is. I use an M-Audio 1010LT soundcard with 8 separate analog outputs. I have 6 channels of audio up front consisting of 3 pairs of speakers left and right stacked vertically on top of each other, the stacks are spaced about 6 feet from each other, they are raised off the floor so when I sit at the bench the lowest speaker in each stack is at about head height and go up from there. The front speaker / amp description is as follows: 4- bookshelf size ported speaker enclosures with 6" drivers and tweeters connected to two separate 2 channel amps which occupy channels 1-2-3-4 of my soundcard, 2- larger tower enclosures that have 8 inch drivers, midrange speakers, and tweeters connected to another 2 channel amp, this amp also drives the woofer off its record out, this amp is connected to channels 5-6, the main idea of this amp for the most part is to either send pedal or lower notes to it or to bolster the lower notes of the organ. Finally to the rear I have one more pair of enclosures with 6 inch drivers connected to yet another 2 channel amp, connected to channels 7-8, these 2 channels and this amp drive the rear speakers for the surround part, the speakers are approx. 8 feet behind me and are mounted 6 feet apart near the ceiling at about 8 feel in height off the floor. My console is centered as close as possible to the left and right of the speakers and is positioned closest to the front speakers. If it's of any relevance my sub is also raised off the floor a couple of feet and is to the back of me centered on the back wall where the rear speakers are also located.

I tried 4 different audio groupings and pipe routing arrangements as follows

1.) I used channels 1-2 as the default speaker group, 3-4-5-6 as mix-down, and I sent the rear surround to 7-8, so basically this is just a straight stereo arrangement. When you go to the loading table all you do is make sure all front stops including the pedal are sent to 1-2, and all rear stops are sent to 7-8, click OK and HW will do the rest. All front speakers including the sub will get the same signal which is the entire organ except for the rear surround part, the back speakers get the surround signal. This set-up results in a very spacious, wide sound but lacks clarity and as you pile on the stops things get quite muddy sounding in fairly short order, many of the stops seem to just get lost in the mix, clarity amongst all of the 4 arrangements listed here is easily the lowest. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound bad, it just doesn't sound as convincing and is maybe the best way I can put it.

2.) I set up 1-2-3-4 as a separate audio group and chose 'cyclic within octaves', 5-6 as mix-down, and again 7-8 as the rear surround. In this example I go down the rank table list and make sure all front stops including the pedal are sent to audio group 1-2-3-4 and all rear stops are sent to 7-8, click OK and HW will once again do it's thing. In this example, since I chose and can use cyclic within octaves for 1-2-3-4 HW will dish out the stops as evenly as possible to 1-2-3-4, 5-6 once again gets everything, and 7-8 receives the rear stops. In this example clarity jumps considerably, I'd say by at least 25% or more, you can hear the left and right of the stops as you go up and down the keyboards and you could swear on certain stops because of the clearness of the sound when used by themselves that you are right there in the church. The bad part is it gets rather bright sounding almost to the point I considered lowering the treble some which I can do but chose not to in order to keep this test as even as possible. Mixtures and higher pitched stops are very much emphasized. Again, you can hear the individual stops more clearly and for single or a limited number of stops selected it's very nice. This arrangement also produces a bit more of a pinched stereo field, not as expansive sounding and more up close sounding, the only other problem is as the stops are piled on there is a considerable amount of inter-modulation, the worst of the 4 arrangements here and to the point of being a bit too hard on the ears when combined with the overly bright sound. Interesting, but on a few other sets early on I used this arrangement for awhile and felt it was pretty good but evidently my tastes have changed or I've now found something better. Again, decent sounding but not as good as it will get, read on.

3.) In this arrangement I followed the example in the HW guide closely but not completely. I set up 1-2-3-4 as a separate audio group, 5 and 6 as two separate mono audio group channels for the pedal only, and 7-8 again as the rear surround. The idea here is to allow HW to distribute the stops amongst the speakers as evenly as possible. In this example in the rank table I once again made sure all manual stops were sent to 1-2-3-4, all the pedal stops to 5-6, and the rear surround part to 7-8, click OK and HW does it's thing. This arrangement is similar sounding to #2 in terms of clarity, but considerably better in the fact is loses the intermodulation I noticed in example #2. The stops blend nicely and you can hear much of the back and forth left and right of the stops including the very fine detail of individual stops to the point you swear you're right there listening to the real thing. The stereo field is once again somewhat narrowed and not as expansive sounding, the organ sounds closer and clarity is again much emphasized. Again, very good sounding and of the examples listed here so far overall sounds the best. I would say this arrangement is probably best suited for dry or drier sets but works fine for wet sets if you like a lot of clarity and a more close up, less expansive sound. Overall for me the biggest thing I once again didn't like is in my set-up it's just a bit too bright and I prefer a more expansive instead of close-up sound, the brightness part could be toned down a number of ways. I would say for this one if you have an organ that is a bit dull sounding and you can't quite figure it out, try this arrangement, it will most definitely wake it up!

4.) In this example I set up 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 and 7-8 each as their own audio group, so I have 4 audio groups in stereo pairs for this one. In this example you can not use the algorithms as they have no effect. In the rank loading table of the Zurek v5 set there are a total of 3 manual divisions listed as 1, 2 and 3, the pedal division listed as "P", and finally the rear surround listed as "rear." I take the entire first manual division (#1) and send it to 1-2, the entire second division (#2) and send it to 3-4, for the third division (#3) I evenly split it between 1-2 and 3-4, all pedal ranks go to 5-6, and all rear surround to 7-8. I also take any 16' ranks be they pedal or manual and also send them to 5-6 since these are the channels the larger speakers and sub are connected to with the idea of helping those 16' stops, click OK and HW does it's thing. I call this arrangement the divisions routed scheme. For wet sets I would say this one sounds the best, the stereo field opens up more expansively again, the sound is very blended and smooth, no intermodulation, has more clarity but not to the point of being annoying, you can hear the individual divisions nicely as well as they seem to come from slightly different locations. The real intricate detail is not there as strong as in examples 2 and 3 but is still there, just dulled down a little or maybe better described as spread out a bit. For wet sets I would say this arrangement sounds the best or is the best compromise, producing the most realistic sounding results as if you were listening to the real thing from a bit further away distance where the space allows the sound to mix and you hear the results if that's what you like. Some are going to like or prefer this and some are not, I myself probably prefer this sound the most.

A few minor extra details: I use the soundcard's individual volume controls and start with balancing both the left and right of each front speaker including each pairs overall volume to best balance between each pair and to suit me when seated at the console, I then bring up the back speakers until I can just hear them and the front to rear field opens up.

And that's it, I hope for some this proves useful and that some of my experimenting can save others some time in setting up their own audio arrangement.

Most importantly, have fun and enjoy! :)

Marc

engrssc

Re: My take on 4 different audio groupings and loading optio

PostWed Nov 26, 2014 11:34 am

Good work, Marc. I find your conclusions quite similar to what I found esp regarding your #4 setup. I want to fine tune it as there are some standing waves that make the overall sound not exactly right. So will get into the voicing bit soon. I hesitate to do a whole lot in that area as there seems to be quite an amount of interaction among different stops. Doesn't seem to work right-out-of-the-box, at least to my ears. Probably don't have it setup exactly as you did. Would be nice if there were a simple way to send as an attachment all of the details of a particular setup, but that's asking alot.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. A good friend passed last evening so our holiday will be dampened slightly. I may have to play for the funeral service as well, one event I never have "looked forward" to doing.

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostWed Nov 26, 2014 4:28 pm

Thanks, Ed! Much appreciated and a happy Thanksgiving to you and your family and all here on the forum as well. Sorry to hear about your friend, I hope all is well there. We finally get to see two of my kids that I haven't seen in quite some time, so that will be good as you sure do miss them after awhile.

If you're interested, I'd be happy to help with more detail on how I have mine set up, it's actually pretty straightforward and more just a matter of getting the audio groups set up and then the routing from there. Interestingly I've found most sets need little in the way of voicing with this technique (# 4) where otherwise they would, and with this technique unless there is a bit of boom to some of the pedal notes or that certain high pitch rank that just buzzes my ears too much and needs to be toned down a bit, I've otherwise left most alone including the Zurek set and all is just fine "as is," so perhaps how you have things grouped and routed has something to do with it.

Marc

Romanos

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 10:22 am

Thank you so much for this post! I'm happy to have this info as a reference when I begin my own testing. I've currently got two 5", two 6.5" and two 8" monitors (and a sub) and I'm considering sending the 6.5's back (they are new) and replacing them with four more 5". For the same amount of money I could get four more speakers and then have six speakers in the front, two and sub in back. I think I'm going to start with seeing how six in front will do (1-2-3-4-5-6) since I've always thought that the clarity was lacking when I just use stereo pairs (on nice monitors too!) because they were just trying too hard to do too much. I prefer dry sample sets for practicing (which is 90% of what I do at home) and really want more clarity. One of my favorite sample sets is the prib chamber organ. It's dry as a bone, but you feel like you're actually at a practice organ and it's perfectly clear so you can accomplish good note learning. I've always thought that it would be 10x better with six speakers bearing the load together as well as spacing out (quite literally) the sound. Here's to hoping I can afford to send my new 6.5" monitors back... (they don't seem to be a good gain over my 5" monitors; especially for the price hike...)

1961TC4ME

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 2:06 pm

Hello Romanos,

It's pretty amazing the differences in sound and clarity you will hear just by trying the different loading options I outline, I continue to stick with option #4 for it's overall best sound for sets anywhere from slightly moist to very wet.

If you're open to doing a nice upgrade for a paltry sum (and with a 15% discount right now on top of it) grab the St. Eucaire set from MDA. If you go with the 6 front pairs you are talking about (I have 6 front pairs as well) and adjust the aspect ratio of the St. Eucaire to full front you will absolutely love it! Very clear, crisp, rich sound like you're right there up close in the organ loft and by far the best under $200 investment I've made in sample sets. A great practice instrument that offers very good bang for the buck! :D

Marc

Romanos

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 3:54 pm

Well, after doing so reading and some soul searching today- I've decided to do a nice little change :idea: -up to my setup. I have two equator d5's, an SVS sb-1000 sub, and two rokit 8's. I just purchased a nice set of Focal Alpha 65's but I don't think the quality of their sound is enough improved to warrant their hike in price; therefore, I contacted my sweetwater sales associate and I'm going to swap out the Focals for 6 Eris E5's. :!: I have a feeling that this change-up will really create a huge shift in sound.

I know the Focals are GREAT monitors but so were my d5's. For the price of 4 focals, I could get nearly 11 Eris E5's. I have a feeling that these medium-range monitors will do just fine, and in fact do better... due to the natural mixing in the room and the lower I.M. distortion.

Thus, I will thus keep my Rokit 8's and Sub on the other side of the room to take all surround, pedal, and 16' ranks, will use the equator d5's as my stereo mix-down pair in the front, and the 6 Eris e5's to do all the fun stuff. I will obviously have to try a few things... but do you think it would be best to have all 6 take everything equally or do 3+3 (2 manual organs) and 2+2+2 (3 manual organs)?

Romanos

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 4:00 pm

Oh-- and I have the St. Eucaire organ already! I love it! I wish there was a bit more upperwork (I can't afford a lot of organs right now...) but it is what it is. I LOVE having the two perspectives. Frankly, I tend to like my organs dry because I think it's difficult to get clarity for a lot of wetter sample sets (I'm in love with the sound of the Utrecht organ but it's so wet I wouldn't enjoy using it unless it was just to improvise for fun!). But, having the console perspective is awesome. Then being able to add the ambient room back in is even better. :) 90% of my usage is for practice which changes my M.O. in terms of how I approach my setup.

For instance, my favorite organ is the Prib Chamber organ because it makes an AWESOME practice instrument. I simply have the single manual attached to all three real ones so I can have a nice clear & dry 8+4' flute practice sound and practice manual changes et al without futzing about too much. I imagine the Prib will really come to life with 6 speakers in front!

Romanos

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 4:06 pm

(Sorry-- didn't mean to be repetitive! Forgot I had posted that earlier :? )

1961TC4ME

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 5:20 pm

Romanos wrote:I will obviously have to try a few things... but do you think it would be best to have all 6 take everything equally or do 3+3 (2 manual organs) and 2+2+2 (3 manual organs)?

Well, that depends. If it's a dry set I'd probably be more inclined to follow my #3 example, if it's a wet set then #4. I'd also be inclined to do like I did and use the largest pair of monitors up front instead of to the rear, and pair them up with 2 pairs of smaller monitors up front and the last pair of smaller monitors with the sub to the rear. Then it depends on if it's actually a surround set or not, I don't know if the Prib is a surround set?

For non-surround sets I set up the rear as mix-down and go with either example 3 or 4 for the front and you get similar results as a surround set. The big difference I think I'm doing compared to many here is I couple the two larger pair of speakers in front with the sub to the rear so they are all receiving the same signal, I send all pedal ranks regardless of pitch and any 16' ranks to the sub and the larger front speakers, that way I've got all the bases covered for the pedal.

Marc

Romanos

PostMon Dec 22, 2014 5:25 pm

The reason I keep my 8"s at the back is because they aren't very good speakers. I keep them -2dB paired with the sub. My 5" monitors are of much higher quality and not nearly so boomy.

1961TC4ME

PostWed Apr 29, 2015 10:03 pm

Edit: I caught an error here where I incorrectly used the term "ranks routed" in this post, I should have used "divisions routed" and it has now been corrected, sorry for the confusion. :?

Hi all,

Just a quick re-visit to this thread since I've had the chance to test out my recently aquired St.Max set using a few different audio groupings and routings. As I reported here earlier my choice for my 8 channels has been divisions routed as I describe in example #4 above. I decided tonight to try using my larger front tower speakers (which are also connected to my sub) up front as mix-down of all, the other 4 front channels divided up evenly between all the ranks, and the rear speakers also as mix-down, so I did not load the rear surround portion of the set. The results ? For this set, awful! Things got masked and muddy and the set lost all clarity and definition. I then reloaded the set using my divisions routed method and the difference is like night and day!

So far divisions routed wins hands down every time and on every wet set for me!

Marc

1961TC4ME

PostThu May 14, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi all,

Curiosity got the best of me again, so I decided to try example #2 in my first post I outline above here with the St. Max set. First off I want to stress this is in no way any kind of criticism with HW but instead shows the dramatic difference different routing schemes can make for the sound of a given set. The St. Max set really shows some very noticeable differences in routing schemes and trying example #2 was like I had flipped the speakers over face down. It totally killed the clarity, stereo field went to non existent, almost sounded mono. Long story short? Example #2 is highly NOT recommend for this set, I was stunned by how much it negatively affected the sound!

Again, hands down, for the St Max (and all my other wet sets so far) it's not even a contest, divisions routed wins!

Marc

mdyde

PostFri May 15, 2015 3:51 am

Hello Marc,

I think that would be expected, since you're loading the samples in mono in your '2' routing scheme, which I personally think will sound significantly less realistic for wet stereo/surround sample sets.

My personal preference for a wet/surround sound set, and given eight available speakers, would be to put three stereo pairs together in a 'front' group (with the default 'cyclic within octaves, octaves and ranks cycled' algorithm selected) and use the remaining stereo pair for all of the 'rear' samples. I.e.:

- Front group: 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 (three stereo outputs, with cycling).
- Rear group: 7/8.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ajt

PostFri May 15, 2015 4:34 am

I'm with Martin on this - loading any wet or stereo set in mono will significantly compromise its realism.

I have spent a lot of time playing with mono vs stereo, dry vs wet, truncated vs non-truncated, speaker groupings, speaker positions, etc.

I have not gone near surround sets.

In my testing, I found that for home use (i.e. for my own playing pleasure) a wet/stereo sampleset sounded best, and sounded at its best with as many stereo pairs as I could fit in, all in one output group. I got up to 6 stereo pairs, all lumped into one output, and let HW do the default cyclic within octaves routing, but didn't find a significantly noticeable improvement after 3 stereo pairs.

For church/public use, there were a lot more variables, but I've still found that given a limited budget the above still holds true - lots of stereo pairs (plus a sub-woofer or two) with a wet sampleset truncated to suit the building's acoustic.

I have also found that the worst possible realism and least pleasing sound comes from loading anything in mono; everything is just too directional, rather like being stood in the middle of the piperack. The only scenario in which I can see mono working well is in a big and very reverberant space with lots of speakers and lots of space between the speakers and the intended audience to allow the building to blend the sound. I certainly wouldn't use it at home.
Adrian

1961TC4ME

PostFri May 15, 2015 1:54 pm

Hi guys,

Unless I've missed something here, in my example #2 because of the way I set up 1-2-3-4 as a separate audio group and chose cyclic witin octaves, and sent all manual ranks to 1-2-3-4, that it would be cyclic within octaves? I could easily hear the back and forth cycling of the notes, but as I report the realism dropped like a rock. So what you're saying is I still need another pair up front added to the audio group, and as I'm doing things in #2 now I'm in effect loading things mono which would explain the outcome. Problem is one pair up front for me is a larger tower pair and I'd end up with pedal notes going all over the place, some to the preferred tower destination and some not. I still may try Martin's example just to get an idea of what it might sound like if I made some changes. If you're curious though and have 8 channels at your disposal, try my example #4 and see what you think.

Still goes to show you from one wet set to the next the dramatic difference in the way the set responds. I tried #2 with the zurich v5 first here and it actually didn't sound all that bad, the St. Max on the other hand is an entirely different story.

Marc
Next

Return to Amplification