It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:25 pm

Procedures and Instruments for Adjusting Ranks

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

GlennG

Procedures and Instruments for Adjusting Ranks

PostSat Dec 06, 2014 2:34 pm

Hello to All,

My hearing has gone south and my hearing aids do not produce an accurate output as some notes sound out of tune and unequal in volume but, when measured, they are accurate in frequency.
I want to adjust HW4 ranks and individual notes for a person of normal hearing..
I need all the help I can get in regards the instruments and procedures required to accomplish this.
Please contribute whatever you can.

Best Regards and Many Thanks,
Glenn

mdyde

Re: Procedures and Instruments for Adjusting Ranks

PostSun Dec 07, 2014 5:58 am

Hello Glenn,

[I've moved the topic here, since it isn't a technical support request for the Hauptwerk software per-se.]

As I expect you know, Hauptwerk's voicing facilities can be found on the 'Organ settings' menu (in the Advanced Edition). I'll leave other people to make recommendations for the best methods for voicing organs in general.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

1961TC4ME

PostWed Dec 10, 2014 12:44 am

Hello Glenn,

What instruments are you using?

Marc

GlennG

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 2:00 pm

I'm using the POW 320 sample set with HW4.

engrssc

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 2:32 pm

Hi Glenn,

Have you looked into something like REW which is - room acoustics analysis software? http://www.roomeqwizard.com/ It is "free" donation ware. (Reasonably easy to use.)

Rgds,
Ed

GlennG

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 8:46 pm

Hello ED,
Thanks for the reference. I have downloaded it and ordered a sound level meter. Apparently it measures everything related to sound. I have a lot of learning to do on how to use it.
Thanks Again.
Best Regards,
Glenn

engrssc

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 10:32 pm

Many acoustic room adjustments are made by means of highly regarded instruments known as ears. Nut there seems to many times be quite a range of different opinions as to what is optimum. OTOH, sometimes using electronic type instrumentation creates a result that may be scientifically correct, but is sterile "unfriendly" sounding. The better part is to use some of both approaches. Measuring the space(s) properties is at least a road map as to where to begin. Sometimes tho, while it would seem right to build a road straight from point A to point B. But if there is an immoveable something such as a mountain in the path, one may have to make adjustments that may not be "in the book". :o

Rgds,
Ed.

GlennG

PostMon Dec 15, 2014 10:48 am

Hello Ed,

My ears are no longer a reliable source for determining a reasonable sound. My hearing aids are oriented towards speech and not music. They also contain a lot of distortion. I must now rely on the readings from instruments. I'm seeking advice from forum members as to a way to tune the system to produce an outcome that most people would consider to be normal. The REW (Room Equalization Wizard) appears to have the ability to produce various graphs that will indicate deficiencies in my room acoustics as well as tuning my speakers. After I accomplish this I will proceed to the organs.

Regards,
Glenn

engrssc

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 4:24 am

The room (space) is really a big deal as I and most likely many others have found. When I was doing H/W demo's (which for all the effort produced marginal results so I stopped doing it), I would painstakingly adjust and voice an instrument until it really sounded good. Then, without changing any settings, move the setup to another location. What sounded really good in the first instance, sounded very much "less good" in another. The same "rule" applies when we do commercial sound in different venues. Each one has to be adjusted on it's own.

I just finished a large church sound system that, for a church, has relatively low ceilings. What a bear. I figured probably few if any standing waves. 2 days later after doing everything in the book, I found out how wrong my thinking was. I'm still not happy with the result, but the client is. So, time to move on. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

Rgds,
Ed

TheOrganDoc

PostWed Dec 17, 2014 2:55 pm

Hi Ed,
Low ceilings are Notorious,
Especially if they are Acoustically Absorbent, With Carpet on the floor, and with padded seats .
Definitely not prescribed to benefit Pipe Organ Music ! :(
Mel
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Return to Amplification