It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:41 am

Multi channel audio

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

ptbuzzcut

Multi channel audio

PostFri Dec 12, 2014 4:07 pm

I had asked this in the VTPO forum, but did not get any replies/advice so I thought I would try this forum as well:

Now that I have the advanced edition, I am trying to set up a simple configuration. I am using a Delta 2496 sound card with it's one set of RCA outputs to one amp and speakers in addition to the SPDIF output to a second amp and speakers. I have played a recording on the pc and verified that a signal is being sent to both outputs. I am trying to follow both the Hauptwerk-3-Tutorial-ConfiguringBasicAudioOutput.pdf as well as the multichannel audio section in the HauptwerkInstallationAndUserGuide. They seem very different. I was able to add both sets into the audio outputs. I loaded Paramount 320 with the option to assign ranks. To start off simply, I assigned just the Eng Horn to the spdif, leaving everything else alone. Once the configuration was complete, the only sound I got was the English horn, nothing else that was left assigned to the other output played.

I am totally lost in this process. Also, there is mention of mixdown. What is this, do I need this?. In the user guide it states to create output groups-Pedal, Main Upperwork. I do not see the correlation to all of this. Is there any guide that is available that simplifies this setup process, or can some one outline more simplistically how to do this?

mdyde

Re: Multi channel audio

PostSat Dec 13, 2014 4:58 am

[Topic moved here.]

The configuration described in the user guide (with upperwork, etc.) is only an *example* to illustrate how you configure audio groups/channels in general -- it isn't something that would be precisely appropriate in most cases.

Aux mix-downs are usually used for driving reverb units, or separate sub-woofers, or for making mixed-down stereo recordings (rather than multi-channel). Hence you probably don't need to worry about those (except perhaps for recording).

Are all of your amplifiers and speakers identical? Do you want Hauptwerk to distributes pipes evenly amongst them automatically, or would you like to assign individual ranks to each of the two speaker pairs?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Amplification