It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:48 am

Amplifier Selection

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Deckie

Amplifier Selection

PostThu Jan 08, 2015 6:44 pm

I've pretty much optimised my HW setup now apart from one niggling little problem. It seemed to make sense to connect the 8 speakers to the Saffire PRO 40 audio interface via the 2 x 4-channel amplifiers in the back of my Phoenix organ, being aleady wired up to the speakers but I think the sound is a bit hollow and lacks some depth. I'm trying to match the sound produced by my relatively inexpensive Sennheiser px100 headphones which sound quite good in comparison.

Do you think this is down to the amplifiers and would it help to invest in separate 8-channel amp? If so, are there any models that come recommended? I have no knowledge of these.

I can't see that it's down to the instrument bit rate setting as it would affect the headphones as well (I have the instruments configured for the maximum bit rate that the 16GB RAM will allow: normally 20 or 24 bit though some stops had to be set at 16 bit or less to get them all in). The main speakers are Gale floor speakers with a sub on the pedal channel but the room is rather small so there's little or no leeway on speaker placement, maybe just an inch or two. They sounded ok on the original pre-HW setup. Obviously I want to avoid investing in a new expensive amp and finding it's the same or worse.

Many thanks.

Derek

IainStinson

Re: Amplifier Selection

PostFri Jan 09, 2015 9:16 am

I used the amps in my Phoenix organ in the same way that you do - I took the 8 analogue output channels from the M-audio Delta into the power amps of my Phoenix which ran my Mission M73 speakers; I ran the sub from the digital output of the Delta unit. It worked well.

I upgraded the Delta with a pair of Safire Pro 40s (which combine together to make a single unit (under Windows). I connected this back to the Phoenix amps and was pleased with the improvement in the sound.

However, I wanted more output channels and decided to keep my existing speakers (buying another pair from e-bay) and put in external power amps (I used two Rotel 1506 six channel power amps http://www.rotel.com/UK/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=481 to give me 12 channels, I presently use 10 of them). The sound was much improved. Replacing the "sound card" and the amps (and possibly HW 4.1 has greatly improved the clarity of the sound.

(My sub and a pair of small self-powered Edirol speakers (for a rear channel) are fed from other outputs on the Focusrite.)

Iain

Deckie

PostFri Jan 09, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks Iain.
I don't know what to do now for the best. I think the Saffire Pro 40 setup is ok as that is where I plug the headphones into. I don't know why there's a difference in sound between the speakers and the headphones, the only things that aren't common to both are the amplifiers and the speakers themselves. Maybe I stick with the existing setup or take a chance and try something like an 8 channel version of the Rotel 1506. There's a 1508 but it doesn't apear to be available in the UK and the 850 is about £1,200 :shock:

Derek

TheOrganDoc

PostFri Jan 09, 2015 7:52 pm

It is Nearly Impossible to hear"as enjoyable a Hauptwerk Organ sound from Speakers"
as we hear from our Headphones. :roll:

I believe that this is caused when using headphones, by providing the Binaural effect ,
or say enhanced stereo effect, since the sounds on each headphone,
are totally separated from each other !

I am personally utilizing, 4 Behringer "self powered" and biamped,
recording studio Monitors on each side of my console,
rather than separate Multichannel Amplifiers with external Speakers. :lol:
along with an 18" Subwoofer built into the base of my console with its own bass amplifier,
as well as a set of AKG 741 Headphones driven by a separate Headphone Amp.

The resulting sounds are quite enjoyable !
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Deckie

PostFri Jan 09, 2015 9:04 pm

Thanks OrganDoc, I guess that's what I'm experiencing. The sound through my headphones is quite good and they're only small low priced ones. I get quite good sepration from the speakers though not the same as through the headphones of course with each stereo channel being exclusive to each ear, as you say. I have a speaker pair on each of the 3 manuals and the pedal, the floor standing speakers on the great are in front on either side of the console with the swell speakers high up on shelves and the pedal and choir speakers are in the same position behind me with a 12" sub on the pedal channel. This works well but I'm not sure how it affects the tonal quality compared to the headphones, and how a 'hollow' sound relates to the frequency response. It may be down to speaker placement and how these frequencies relate to the shape and size of the room which I think getting right is a fine art. Unfortunately I don't have enough room to make any adjustments to the position of the speakers other than a few inches each way. So maybe it's folly to try and make any improvements in the sound. :roll:
Derek

Return to Amplification