It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:44 am

Claims of multi-channel HW audio through a 7.1 receiver?

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Claims of multi-channel HW audio through a 7.1 receiver?

PostTue Jan 20, 2015 4:21 pm

Hi all,

I couldn't find the thread, but some time back someone here claimed they got HW multi-channel audio to work with a surround 7.1 receiver by using the HDMI connection from their computer to the receiver, as I recall they also said they used the on-board sound card the computer came with.

All along I've contested multi-channel audio using HW and a surround receiver is not possible because in order to have multi-channel audio one needs a multi-channel amp with separate discreet inputs like a regular multi-channel amp would have, something your typical surround receiver does not have.

Anyone have any proof of this HDMI idea and if it actually works? Of course if it were to require going back to my on board sound card, that alone would kill the idea on the spot for me.

Thanks,

Marc

mattnbin

Re: Claims of multi-channel HW audio through a 7.1 receiver?

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 7:47 pm

Hi 1961TC4ME,

Although I have not personally tried this yet, it sould be possible.

I connected my 40 inch plasma to my Mac Mini with a HDMI lead, and in the sound setup I was able to choose between the inbuilt sound card or the the 2 channel "LGTV" as the output.

Therefore - audio over HDMI works for me.

I do not see why you could not use it in 7.1.
I suggest to power up the computer and 7.1 HDMI amplifier before starting Hauptwerk software. This way Hauptwerk can start with all audio outputs ready to be selected in the setup.

regards,
Matt

mattnbin

Re: Claims of multi-channel HW audio through a 7.1 receiver?

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 7:53 pm

BTW, HDMI spec allows for up to 8 PCM audio channels.
A 7.1 amp appears as a soundcard in setup.

Matt

Return to Amplification