It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:58 pm

Convolution reverb....which?

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

triapavl

Convolution reverb....which?

PostSun Feb 15, 2015 11:01 am

For about a month, I was doing a pretty good job using a combination of Reaper and Reverberate LE for my Hauptwerk experience (and mind you, the Hereford set sound twice as exquisite in the acoustics of York Minster). Alas, the time came and I realised that it was but a time-limited version, so I am no longer able to use convolution reverb...all plugins I have come across are not free and Reaper's own plugin has so many latency issues that even a simple C major scale becomes a challenge....
Do you know any plugin that will help me? What limitations do other demo versions impose? And what good free convolution plugins are available out there?

Erzahler

Re: Convolution reverb....which?

PostSun Feb 15, 2015 5:28 pm

Someone suggested Acon Vertebrate in another post on this topic but I have no experience with any of them. Do a search.

ludu

PostSun Feb 15, 2015 5:58 pm

triapavl wrote:For about a month, I was doing a pretty good job using a combination of Reaper and Reverberate LE for my Hauptwerk experience (and mind you, the Hereford set sound twice as exquisite in the acoustics of York Minster). Alas, the time came and I realised that it was but a time-limited version, so I am no longer able to use convolution reverb...

I don't understand your problem. I use exactly the same configuration (Reverberate LE + York Minster) since at least 2 years and I never have been prevented to use it after a limited time of use.
Luc

triapavl

PostMon Feb 16, 2015 3:39 am

Erzahler wrote:Someone suggested Acon Vertebrate in another post on this topic but I have no experience with any of them. Do a search.

Thanks, I'll look into it.
ludu wrote:I don't understand your problem. I use exactly the same configuration (Reverberate LE + York Minster) since at least 2 years and I never have been prevented to use it after a limited time of use.

Did you buy the program? I have only downloaded the trial version, its price was too high for me....
I was very surprised, too...one day I set up HW and Reaper just like any other time to load the York reverberation file. Everything went well, HW played and sounded normally via Reaper but when I loaded Reverberate LE it just told me that my evaluation period was over and, although the plugin would load normally, it would henceforth refuse to apply whatever impulse response file I selected. And it did just that; I heard the Hereford organ in its natural acoustics.
Maybe it would help if I uninstalled and installed the program again?

ludu

PostMon Feb 16, 2015 4:19 am

Hello triapavl,

I didnt' buy neither Reverberate LE nor "minster1_000_ortf_48k.wav" you can find for free here: http://www.openairlib.net/auralizationdb/content/york-minster.
Luc

jkinkennon

PostMon Feb 16, 2015 12:17 pm

I too am confused by the message that a trial period has elapsed. Perhaps the Reaper demo expired? For the record, here are the prices in US dollars so far as I can tell.

Reverberate (Full Version) $77
Reverberate Core $47
Reverberate LE Free, donation encouraged
Reaper (private use) $60

These are genuine bargains and it would take a lot of looking to find software with equivalent performance at these prices. Reaper is just a gem of a bargain though like similar DAWs it can be a daunting experience for the casual user.
Last edited by jkinkennon on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ludu

PostMon Feb 16, 2015 4:19 pm

jkinkennon wrote:I too am confused by the message that a trial period has elapsed. Perhaps the Reaper demo expired?

Reaper doesn't stop to work after the trial period. It just displays a message during several seconds. Therefore, I don't understand at all triapavl's problem...
Luc

triapavl

PostMon Feb 16, 2015 5:27 pm

I don't know....it's being very baffling. Next time I run HW and Reaper, I'll be back with some screenshots....

TomBentley

PostTue Feb 17, 2015 1:25 pm

A little more confusion on my part. I bought the personal license $60.00 and use Reverberate LE but i am confused as to how to use other IR's like the one you reference above for the Minster -- followed the link there but couldn't figure out how to download that particular or any other IR -- can anyone point me in the direction as to how to add other IR's to Reverberate LE like the Minster -- sounds like something I'd like to try.

Thanks,

Tom

ludu

PostTue Feb 17, 2015 2:05 pm

In Reverberate LE, go to the settings. Under the Attack button, you will see 3 arrows. You just have to click on them and browse to the IR file you want to install. Its name of the IR will be displayed at the right of the 3 arrows.
Luc

Mixtuur4st

PostTue Feb 17, 2015 2:14 pm

TomBentley wrote:A little more confusion on my part. I bought the personal license $60.00 and use Reverberate LE but i am confused as to how to use other IR's like the one you reference above for the Minster -- followed the link there but couldn't figure out how to download that particular or any other IR -- can anyone point me in the direction as to how to add other IR's to Reverberate LE like the Minster -- sounds like something I'd like to try.

Hi Tom,

I experienced the same yesterday, here is the solution:

On the York Minster page from OpenAirLib you are in the tab "Information".
Go to the tab "Impulse responses".
On line 5 or so you find
minster1_000_orltf_48k.wav.

Rightclick your mouse on that and choose "save link as ..."
Done.

Have fun,
Jack

TomBentley

PostTue Feb 17, 2015 3:58 pm

Thanks -- I was looking all over for a "download button" :)

Tom

Return to Amplification