It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:52 pm

Speakers and amps

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

ptbuzzcut

Speakers and amps

PostTue Feb 17, 2015 4:34 pm

I know that most users have identical powered speakers and seem to feel this is the best. I was wondering if anyone has used a GOOD stereo 7.1 receiver with GOOD speakers (using front, rear and center) along with a subwoofer and compared the results. I have experimented using 3 different sets of speakers with 3 amps (so 6 speakers at one time) and see that certain notes sound off- understandably. I have a fair amount of decent to good audio equipment and wanted to try all of that before making a decision to spend more on powered speakers. I would be interested in what others have done if they have not gone the route of identical powered speakers.

mdyde

Re: Speakers and amps

PostWed Feb 18, 2015 5:16 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

1961TC4ME

PostWed Feb 18, 2015 1:22 pm

If you haven't done so already, read this. In this post I describe what I've done and the reasoning behind it. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=13910

Marc

ptbuzzcut

PostFri Feb 20, 2015 10:40 am

Read your post, Ray as well as the others.
I do not know what C/C# cycling ( in the Output Allocation settings) is nor can I Google it and get any kind of explanation. I did try all the various Output allocations to see what, if any, effect it had on my mismatched setup of 3 amps, 3 sets of speakers. I really did not hear a difference. I would still get an 'odd' note or two that sounded off compared to others.
After my original post, I started looking at other individuals Hauptwerk setups and see everything from 2 speakers on the console to large arrays of non- identical speakers, although in these setups, I do see 'pairs'.
That makes me think that others have found ways to make an array of assorted speakers work, without going the route of buying multiple, matching, powered speakers/monitors (although not the 'recommended' way).

1961TC4ME

PostFri Feb 20, 2015 12:47 pm

In order to hear the differences in the algorithms you need to have the audio groups set up properly, or no matter which you choose they will have no effect. This may also give you some ideas if you haven't yet read it >>> viewtopic.php?f=17&t=13679

Marc

Return to Amplification