It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:25 am

Crackling speakers

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Andrew

Crackling speakers

PostTue Mar 03, 2015 3:30 am

Hello all,
I apologise if this has been asked before, but I figured this would be easier than reading through dozens of posts!
I would like to know why my speakers 'crackle' when I'm playing the organ, but when I play a CD it can handle loud volumes fine. Any feedback or ideas on what to adjust would be appreciated!
I use a PreSonus "Audiobox" audio/midi interface (2 channel) with RCA cables going to the V-Aux input of my Yamaha AV receiver, which is wired up to 5 satellite speakers and separate sub-woofer.
I have to turn the volume up quite high on the receiver to hear a satisfactory 'full organ' sound. I can adjust the volume on the interface too, and I have tinkered with the organ 'trim' levels (too high and the speakers really go silly of course!) I have also tried increasing the polyphony levels of the organ, but that doesn't seem to make any difference either. Anyway, over to you guys!
Thanks for your time...

mdyde

Re: Crackling speakers

PostTue Mar 03, 2015 5:51 am

Hello Andrew,

When the crackles occur, do any of the meters go into the red on Hauptwerk's Audio, MIDI and Performance large control panel ('View | Large control panels')?

Are you using a Mac or a PC?

If a PC, do you have the ASIO driver (as opposed to DirectSound) selected for your PreSonus audio interface on Hauptwerk's General settings | Audio outputs' screen?
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

1961TC4ME

PostTue Mar 03, 2015 11:23 am

In addition to what Martin advises I'd try two things: Try connecting to the CD input and see if that makes any difference as some amps I've encountered have a weaker signal into the amp from one input vs. another thus the possibility of having to turn the amp up much higher as you mention. AND instead of raising the polyphony I'd go the other way and lower it. Don't know what your computer capabilities are so I'd start around 1500 polyphony and work your way up from there.

Marc

Andrew

PostThu Mar 05, 2015 2:27 am

Hello Martin and Marc,

Thanks for your advice so far. I have a PC (laptop) and will check the settings you mentioned. I'll keep in touch.

Andrew

Return to Amplification