It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:01 pm

def. tech. supercube 4000

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

keyclick

def. tech. supercube 4000

PostSun Mar 08, 2015 2:14 am

Is anyone currently using, or know anything about this sub, or any of the other subs in the definitive technology line. I'm interested in any comments. thanks
Mike

montyjnc

Re: def. tech. supercube 4000

PostThu Aug 18, 2016 11:51 am

If anyone has used one, I would be interested in their thoughts as well!

johnstump_organist

PostFri Aug 19, 2016 10:01 pm

I have had the SuperCube II, which I think is about the same creature they re-named as the SuperCube 4000, anyway it was about in the same price range and similar specs. I have been nothing but happy with it. I use it with 8 Behringer 2031 powered monitors. I have the supercube turned down fairly low as it rattles everything otherwise and it does a very good job of giving me all the bass I need in 7 by 10 meter living room/dining room.
John

georgefung

PostWed Aug 31, 2016 3:11 pm

I have a Supercube III with six Def. Tech. Studio monitors.
I'm very happy with it. It seems to give me that extra sense of realism for the low pedal 16' notes.
Good luck,
George

deftech

PostSun Sep 04, 2016 4:20 pm

I have a pair of Def Tech BP8040s that have built in subs similar to super cube 4000s. I love them and highly recommend them for use with hauptwerk stops 16 foot and up. I also have BP 8060s that are wonderful for 16 foot and up. I use 8060s and 8040s for pedal and manuals. I have found my BP8020s are amazing Hauptwerk manual speakers but fade below about F on the pedals.

Grant_Youngman

PostSun Sep 11, 2016 6:46 pm

I have a SuperCube 4000 arriving on Tuesday (9/13) to replace an older large 15" Velodyne I passed on a year ago before moving to my new location (Savannah, GA).

If anyone's still interested I'll make my impressions known after I've had it running for a while. My primary consideration was available space and the compact size of the 4000, but I can see no reason to expect anything other than perfectly fine performance for HW in a typical home installation. Especially if, like me, you have a spouse who takes umbrage with large black boxes sitting in the living room :-)
Grant

Grant_Youngman

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 12:52 pm

Arrived this morning. I was a bit apprehensive, but turned out there was no reason for it. It was from an eBay seller, advertised as "factory refurbished". A hair more than half of MSRP, but still considerably less than most "discount" pricing for new ones. So it's a good buy if you can survive without a full manufacturer's warranty.

It arrived in absolutely "as new" condition, and works superbly in my environment. Good clean deep bass without intrusive boominess .. and without intrusive size. Not enough for an auditorium, but well more than enough for a living room.

For anyone interested, the seller has 6 more of them available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Definitive-Tech ... Swkl5XdDt2
Grant

magnaton

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 2:55 pm

Thanks for the update Grant. The specs of this Def Tech show a low of 16Hz. Do you have a sample set with a 32' flue? If so have you tired it with this subwoofer to see if gets a passing grade? I've read that many manufactures cheat on their specs where they achieve 16Hz but at a severe (say -10) db roll off.

The subwoofer I'm planning on is the SVS PB-2000 but I could get 2 of these in close price range.

Thanks,

Danny B.

Grant_Youngman

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 3:38 pm

I don't have a way to measure the SPL levels or rolloff very well. I'm sure with only an 8" driver and two passive radiators it drops off quite a bit at the bottom, although there are built in EQ settings that tilt the low end response up. As I said before, my primary criterion was its spouse-friendly size.

All I can tell you is that in my fairly large living room, it sounds fine. Clearly, it's a bit too small to actually move a lot of air — but installing a Thigpen rotary subwoofer here is out of the question :-) It WILL rattle the china in the cabinet 20' away. Even though the structural isolation between my townhouse and the one next to me is quite good, I wouldn't trust it to be completely neighbor friendly with the level turned too far up ..

I do like the remote control for adjustment of level, crossover filtering, etc. Made it easy to set up and balance from the console without the usual trekking back and forth adjusting things..

YMMV
Grant

magnaton

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 3:53 pm

Grant_Youngman wrote:I don't have a way to measure the SPL levels or rolloff very well. I'm sure with only an 8" driver and two passive radiators it drops off quite a bit at the bottom, although there are built in EQ settings that tilt the low end response up.

There was a Subwoofer thread a while back here on the forum where one user compensated for the roll off by increasing the volume accordingly on the 32ft stop for those last 3 or 4 pedal notes. Not sure if that plays havoc or not with the sub unit. Just thought I'd mention it as you might be able to get some uniformity in the 16Hz range.

johnstump_organist

PostTue Sep 13, 2016 9:56 pm

My supercube II has similar specs (it did say 14 - 200 frequency response, and power amp of 1250 instead of 1200, but one 8" Long-throw cone and two passive 8" radiators, same as the 4000s). It produces very nice 32's right down to low C in a house/living room situation. I have it turned way down, otherwise it rattles every door and window in the house.
Unless you are running pure sine wave to it, most subs are going to get some benefit from the resultant tones of the harmonics present in the stop. I think that is why many digital organs use a ContraViolone for 32 in small models instead of a SubBass or something with less harmonic development.
John

Return to Amplification