It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:18 am

Subwoofer Selection Advice Please

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

pedro

Re: Subwoofer Selection Advice Please

PostMon Mar 16, 2015 8:09 am

Another simple sub solution is to use your ''headphones out'' on your soundcard if you have one on it.
If you want to use your headphone you just unplug your sub and plug your headphone back in.
Pete

Owen Jones

PostMon Mar 16, 2015 8:33 am

[quote="TomBentley"]Goodmorning. Looking at Definitive Technology Powerfield 310, Powerfield 312, or SuperCube III to replace my very inadequate Sony cheapo after much experimentation with routing, bass splits and such that Martin helped me with over the last day or two. My budget runs around a $300 top end.

Rest of audio consists of 4 (four) B2031A's from a Gigaport HD.

Any opinions, advice, suggestions, personal experience with different subs etc. would be most appreciated to allow changing my sub to one more suitable within budget constraints.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom[/quote]

Build a housewrecker, I have one in my studio with 4 x 15" speakers, driven by a dual channel amp around 525 watts rms.
The hardware store cut all the panels for me and all I had to do was to cut the holes for the speakers.
http://theatreorgans.com/owenjones/audio.html

Romanos

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 3:09 pm

I can also recommend SVS subs like the PB 1000 or PB 2000. They are more cost effective subs and still give great bang for the buck. Great customer service, great quality, and decent output. Many sub forums rank their subs as some of the best bang-for-buck out there. I personally have a PB 2000 and like it quite a bit. Clean and powerful. One day I will buy a second!

Romanos

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 3:14 pm

Oh-- and I would like to reiterate the idea of having your sub receive a mix down signal. I currently have my sub connected to a stereo output via splitter. The same mix-down signal goes to my rear speakers and sub. I also route pedal ranks to that output. Therefore, I have sub stuff and mix-down all going to my sub (so even manual ranks get the low end oomph they need) matched with a pair of 8" monitor speakers so I get the full tonal spectrum. It works really nicely. As an added bonus, I can use this stereo output as my main output for my computer when just doing normal non-hauptwerk stuff.

TomBentley

PostThu Mar 19, 2015 6:20 am

Thanks all for your interest and advice. Unfortunately SVS and the like are still out of reach budget wise. I think I am leaning towards a Supercube II if anyone has experience with this model I'd love to hear about it.

Tom

Romanos

PostThu Mar 19, 2015 10:09 am

I'm guessing you're going to buy a used supercube ii? Their website lists MSRP at 899.... The SVS 2000 series is cheaper than that (with free shipping). Also, have a look about your local pawn shops. They might have something nice in budget. This past year I found two rokit 8's at a neighborhood pawn shop for 200 for the pair. They normally go for 250 each! So, you never know what you might find. Your sub might be hiding somewhere around town!

scottherbert

PostMon Mar 23, 2015 11:52 am

Has anyone checked into either Transmission Line or Infinite Baffle design subwoofers? As I understand it, they are 'build it yourself' type situations, but are quite easy to do. They also are supposed to give excellent, flat response to EXTREMELY low frequencies, and not necessarily at loud volume (like window smashing rock).

The Transmission Line is essentially a very large box with a serpentine channel in it, like a rats maze, the same diameter as the speaker. Making the "channel' the same length as one quarter of a low C 32' soundwave would be approximately 18 3/4 ft, and therefore capable of resonating at 15Hz with the proper subwoofer driver. Not unlike a mitered pipe.

The Infinite Baffle is only practical for homeowners as it requires household surgery. 1 or 2 subwoofer drivers are actually installed in the ceiling, wall or floor, thus making the attic, adjacent room or wall space, or basement the resonating chamber. The word of caution here is that the sound pressure will be as great in that space as in the room where you want it, (so don't make the other room the nursery!!!) :roll:

I like the idea of the Infinite baffle since it takes up ZERO floor space!!! However placement can be tricky.

Just a couple of other things to consider. :D

~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

NickNelson

PostMon Mar 23, 2015 11:57 am

scottherbert wrote:The Infinite Baffle is only practical for homeowners as it requires household surgery. 1 or 2 subwoofer drivers are actually installed in the ceiling, wall or floor, thus making the attic, adjacent room or wall space, or basement the resonating chamber.

Colin Pykett has tried this and reports very good results http://www.pykett.org.uk/vlf_repro.htm#BestSystem.

Nick

Romanos

PostMon Mar 23, 2015 2:57 pm

I love that article. I discovered it a while ago. If I ever get to design my own home (read: design my music room) I would try an infinite baffle. :)

RichardW

PostMon Mar 23, 2015 6:34 pm

People have been known to get a bit carried away:

http://www.royaldevice.com/sala%20audio/covering%20the%20top21.jpg
Richard

Romanos

PostMon Mar 23, 2015 7:42 pm

......... :|

That's certainly one way to do it! :roll:

sjkartchner

PostMon Mar 23, 2015 10:34 pm

Very interesting and informative article, Nick.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

Romanos

PostFri Mar 27, 2015 2:24 pm

Here's another option:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FSTU4G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=10C54Y8VNFL3X&coliid=ITN1Q1EFDMZOU

I discovered these when I was looking way back in the day. They are very highly rated, have a great (better than many to be sure) frequency response, and are definitely affordable.

TomBentley

PostFri Mar 27, 2015 10:04 pm

Thanks Rom -- this looks very promising. I have been watching ebay day and night and have come up empty. My only concern is the hookups available on back. It appears i could go with y cables from my gigaport audio interface into the sub and then split them out to the amp and speakers or so it appears. Afraid I don't understand that end of it too much and was hoping to find a sub with rca in and rca out both but it appears this can be configured to take advantage of the crossover.

I'll investigate a little further. Thanks for keeping me in mind -- the sub seems to be the most complicated procedure of all with this. I'm currently following a SuperCube ii for 324 plus shipping on ebay but am having trouble deciding -- the one you recommend and its reviews are certainly glowing... i'll ponder. Thanks again,.

Tom

Owen Jones

PostThu Apr 09, 2015 10:30 am

My Housewrecker does the job for me and I use full range 15" cabinets so I don't lose the harmonics from the reed pedal pipes.

[url]http://theatreorgans.com/owenjones/audio.html[/url]
Previous

Return to Amplification