It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:51 am

Speaker diffusers?

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Speaker diffusers?

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 4:33 pm

I've pondered the idea lately of coming up with something that would more widely disperse the sound from the speakers so the sound doesn't appear to be coming from such focused L / R points, sound more so like you'd hear in a larger cathedral where the sound seems to kind of come at you from all directions or more so like you hear through headphones where the recording was done in a larger setting. Without a multitude of speakers all around you (and maybe that's the only answer), I did a little research and much to my surprise saw gadgets ranging from things like this >> http://www.webervst.com/blocker.html to cone shaped items to you name it. I often read here about the highs in particular and how they sometimes seem too focused and can wear on the ears after awhile, and I will admit I sometimes suffer from the same and wonder if there is a fairly easy solution to more evenly spread things out.

If you search speaker diffuser or beam blocker on the internet, all kinds of ideas and articles pop up.

Anyone got any experience with any of these or have come up with a better idea?

Marc

Romanos

Re: Speaker diffusers?

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 4:55 pm

I've pondered this before too... The only ideas I've had so far have been:

1.) hoist the speakers up a bit to get them out of your face and put more sound into the room in general
2.) place the speakers facing up to diffuse the sound into the room
3.) mount the speakers behind a fake pipe facade so that the pipes diffuse the sound like in real life

(I personally like the last option but that is horrendously involved and expensive.)

engrssc

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 6:11 pm

An easy way is to face them into a corner, i.e. if your room has corners. I built the equivalent to vertical swell shades (approx 45 degrees with respect to the front surface). They are stationary but do diffuse the sound quite a bit as the focus of the sound bounces off the side walls.

Rgds,
Ed

Romanos

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 6:19 pm

engrssc wrote:An easy way is to face them into a corner, i.e. if your room has corners. I built the equivalent to vertical swell shades (approx 45 degrees with respect to the front surface). They are stationary but do diffuse the sound quite a bit as the focus of the sound bounces off the side walls.

Rgds,
Ed

My pea brain can't visualize quite what you mean. Do you have a pic / diagram?

engrssc

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 7:49 pm

The post above has 2 different thoughts. One to face spkrs into the corners of the room.

And second, the stationary vertical louvered spkr cabs.

Not a great pic but it shows the 2 spkr cabs, each one contains 4 - identical 3 way speaker systems. As I said, the vertical louvers are angled at 45 degrees with respect to the front surface of the cabinet. There are other speakers in the room such a subs and surround sound spkrs which are at the opposite end of the room.

The console rests on a moveable platform which makes the beast a bit easier to deal with. It weighs in at over 800# and that's before anything I added.

Rgds,
Ed

Romanos

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Thanks for the pic. I get it now. Very interesting. You'll certainly get a more diffused sound that way!

engrssc

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 8:14 pm

And there still is some forward, direct sound as well. Sorta a 60/40 relationship with the 40 being the direct forward sound. Interesting when all that sound bounces off the two side walls, the organist hears more of the diffused sound (with that configuration) because the louver's opening(s) are facing the side walls. 8)

Each of the 4 systems contain 1 - 15", 1 - 8" and 1 - tweeter with individual eq networks and individual controls for each 8" mid range, and each tweeter. Originally I thought about tri-amping each system, but that got to be a little crazy not to mention expensive.

Probably not the greatest idea from an engineering stand point, but I put casters under those spkr cabinets as they are quite heavy. And then there's the issue of making sure not to scratch the hard wood floor. Wife would have a bird. :o

Rgds,
Ed

1961TC4ME

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 11:01 pm

Hi guys,

O.K., I know we're not talking HVAC here but the adjustable louvers on my Modine in the shop like pictured here has given me an idea >>> http://1stchoicegarage.com/index.php/ga ... rder=price :wink:

Adjustable diffusers anyone?

Marc

engrssc

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 11:29 pm

For all the effort, not to mention the possible rattle factor, is it worth the effort would be my question?

My non adjustables are glued and screwed (4 each) in place. They don't rattle.

Rgds,
Ed

Jan Loosman

PostWed Mar 18, 2015 4:26 am

If you are planning a speaker upgrade in the near future then you might consider omnidirectional or bipolar speakers. They sound very spacious without sounding to direct as you mentioned. But then there is another price tag v.s. diffusers.

Regards Jan

Romanos

PostWed Mar 18, 2015 8:52 am

I have a feeling that something like this (ie-- custom designed since there's really nothing commercial out there that is actually like an organ) is the only way we will ever be happy with the sound we are getting...

http://hackaday.com/2014/09/11/homemade-omnidirectional-speakers-in-a-unique-enclosure/

Romanos

PostWed Mar 18, 2015 9:00 am

At one point I had designed a schema that I was going to have a wood shop build for me until my wife talked me off the cliff. (I'm still thinking about it though as a project a few years down the road :roll: ) I had 3 speakers assigned to each channel. This array was going to sit on top of my console. The speakers I had chosen were full range (coaxial speakers with the tweeter mounted in the center of the woofer, available from parts express) so they could have handled the signal. One speaker faced forward, one pointed straight up at the ceiling, and another pointed sideways to the wall. This way I achieved a fairly omni sound signal (albeit from three sources) for each channel. I still maintain that that would have provided a very realistic sound because it would envelop you like a real organ. I often find that when I play, my brain screams at me because I hear the sound in front of me but not from the sides like in real life. It's a subtle difference, but definitely noticeable to me. Alas, that project shall be relegated to another day. And when I do it I plan on bighting the bullet and creating a whole facade so it would look something similar to one of the Johannus monarke organs. Better start saving now... :cry:

telemanr

PostWed Mar 18, 2015 9:11 am

Our church has virtually no reverb or presence so when I sit at the organ I hear the sound strictly from in front of me. At home, my near field speakers on either side pointing toward my ears give the illusion of sound coming from a wide forward area and I don't notice the lack of "side" sound. I do have rear speakers quietly adding a little reverb for those non-surround organs. This results in a quite realistic feeling, at least for me.
Rob Enns

Romanos

PostWed Mar 18, 2015 9:14 am

I'm fairly certain that part of my problem is due to the fact that my space limitations mean my speakers are right in front of my face. I feel like if I could get the speakers a few feet away from me and give them some breathing room (that would give them the opportunity to spread their sound a bit before hitting me) it would help quite a bit. I also have rear speakers and I LOVE them because I think they add quite a lot (esp on surround samples). But, not every sample affords that luxury.

Romanos

PostWed Mar 18, 2015 9:30 am

Also, if anyone is interested in this type of project and has access to a 3D printer, you might want to take a look at this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:24308
Next

Return to Amplification