It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 pm

Def tech Bipolars

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Romanos

Def tech Bipolars

PostThu Mar 19, 2015 11:11 am

Hello All--

I was curious if anyone has experimented with bipolar speakers from def tech in a wall (or case) array?
http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-bp-a

While I've currently got studio monitors, I've been contemplating designing a speaker array and having a wood shop fashion a case for me to surround my console (pop in some pipes for a nice fake facade and really have a ball!). Something like this seems like it might be perfect... Anyone have any experience with these or any of the other dual speakers def tech produces?

Many thanks!

1961TC4ME

Re: Def tech Bipolars

PostThu Mar 19, 2015 11:30 pm

I could be all wet here, I don't know if it has something to do with the long winters here in the northern hemisphere that's given a number of us extra time to think about this, but it's interesting how a number of posts have all popped up at about the same time here recently concerning considering the high frequencies, dispersing of sound from speakers, speaker diffusion (which I started a post on) and so on. There's something a number of us are obviously all noticing that we feel needs to be addressed with our overall HW sound and for me I feel it mainly starts with the high frequencies that seem to need to be spread out more vs. the more focused form we are experiencing now regardless of our sound system of choice. How this is accomplished is the next question which I haven't yet quite figured out.

No experience with the bi-polar speakers mentioned here but I like the concept. The only issue I might have with them (like any speaker) is placing them too closely to you which may not give the desired results as it appears from what they describe although they would be fine as front speakers, their intention is more for good side or rear speakers which tells me regardless of how you decide to use them, for the best results you will want them some distance from you which in some cases may not be possible.

Marc

scottherbert

PostFri Mar 20, 2015 10:20 am

Hey Marc, I think you've got it! CABIN FEVER!!! A time when a young (and not so young) mans mind turns to thoughts of STEREO EQUIPMENT! :lol:

I've often looked at the free standing Def Tech surround speakers, considering them for the back of a room. they look awesome. As Marc noted, in a near-field situation, I don't know that you would get the kind of result you are looking for. But if you find a dealer with a good return policy, you could pick up the free standing ones and try them out, and if they are unsatisfactory, return them. Just a thought.

Good luck,
~S
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

Romanos

PostFri Mar 20, 2015 10:25 am

If I had the money and we were building a house, I think I would put about 6 of these up in the ceiling:

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/uiw-rcs-ii

They have a fantastic frequency response, they would be high enough over head (esp in a room with 10-12' ceilings or higher) which would, I imagine, make the sound very lifelike since that's where the sound normally comes from. Add to that one of their in-wall subs (then you get infinite baffling going on :!: ) and you'd really have a killer system.

Romanos

PostFri Mar 20, 2015 10:29 am

I'll also add that Deftec makes many different varieties of bipolar speakers. I just happened to pick those posted above. Perhaps one of the other varieties would be better. Still interesting to consider such a design if you don't have the room to do a forward/backward bipolar design.

1961TC4ME

PostFri Mar 20, 2015 1:29 pm

scottherbert wrote:Hey Marc, I think you've got it! CABIN FEVER!!! A time when a young (and not so young) mans mind turns to thoughts of STEREO EQUIPMENT! :lol:

Ha! I think you're on to something and could be right about that! When winter starts here in November and generally doesn't end until sometime in March (and we don't get any snow in-between to play in) it does give a person plenty of time to ponder things! :shock:

Marc

TheOrganDoc

PostFri Mar 20, 2015 2:01 pm

"Speak for yourselves guys", (Stereo Equipment ?) I am almost an Octogenarian, and Stereo Gear is the furthest from my thoughts, "BUT, HW Sample set realism is", and always will be of Prime importance to me.
I would like to hear any Ideas as to how to achieve a wall of sound on each side of my console !
Without having a pile of dozens of speaker cabinets, on each side of my console ! :roll:

1961TC4ME wrote:
scottherbert wrote:Hey Marc, I think you've got it! CABIN FEVER!!! A time when a young (and not so young) mans mind turns to thoughts of STEREO EQUIPMENT! :lol:
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

Romanos

PostFri Mar 20, 2015 2:03 pm

Get yourself a 6' tall set of magpans! That would do it for sure (at only two speakers and arguably some of the most clear speakers in production.)

Grant_Youngman

PostWed Mar 25, 2015 11:12 am

The Opus 1 at Trinity Church uses 60-something of these:

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/bp10b

There's a BP6 bipolar which costs a bit less and has roughly the same specs. I'd think these would be an interesting choice (true bipolar — e.g. font/rear sounding). Of course, one would need the space for a few of them, plus amps, etc. It would certainly be interesting to try something along these lines.
Grant

MikeDC

PostSat Mar 28, 2015 9:28 am

Romanos wrote:Get yourself a 6' tall set of magpans! That would do it for sure (at only two speakers and arguably some of the most clear speakers in production.)

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried Magneplanars in an HW setup.

Jan Loosman

PostSat Mar 28, 2015 9:57 am

The bigger bipolars from deftech have built in active subwoofers!
I think this is a very interesting option for Hauptwerk speakers.
They are more expensive but you can save on a subwoofer and save on space!

Regards Jan

sonar11

PostSat Mar 28, 2015 11:39 am

MikeDC wrote:
Romanos wrote:Get yourself a 6' tall set of magpans! That would do it for sure (at only two speakers and arguably some of the most clear speakers in production.)

I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried Magneplanars in an HW setup.

I don't think they will be used to their best advantage in a HW setup? Mainly because they have very finicky placement requirements for best imaging, and usually you can't put them on a shelf at ear level; I would imagine at some point a lot of sound would end up hitting the music rack, pedalboard, sheet music etc. They also require lots of power, dedicated amps (preferably mono, and I can't imagine how one would get 3+ sets of speakers into a room.

But that's just a guess, would be interesting if someone tried it. I prefer adding more and more channels, ie the Leo Chris approach.

Return to Amplification