It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:16 pm

Class 'T' amps

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

GDay

Class 'T' amps

PostSat Jun 20, 2015 12:00 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the so called class 'T' amplifiers used with Hauptwerk?
G'Day

I still have a few small chickens for sale . . .

deebos

Re: Class 'T' amps

PostSun Jun 21, 2015 7:21 am

If you mean the Lepai amps ( from Parts Express ) , I use them for amp-ing the reverb from my Lexicon unit

I also use The Dayton ( 60 watt units ) for some organs with rear or surround channels. These amps are more substantial and have a very smooth volume control. I have 4 units ganged together ( with BIG tie wraps) on a wooden board to make a decent 8 channel amp ( no balance control though ).

I have a small living room where the organ is placed.

Parts Express give money back exchange up to 45 days.

Hope this helps

db

dhm

PostSun Jun 21, 2015 9:01 am

Are these what are being referred to, or they something completely different?
http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?bf=&sw=t-amp
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

GDay

PostSun Jun 21, 2015 10:32 am

It is the Lepai amps I am referring to, (or others using the same technology) and was wondering about using them pretty much exactly as you have. The low heat, low price, small size, simple controls, seems perfect for a Hauptwerk home installation. thanks for your input.
G
G'Day

MPiercey

PostSun Jun 21, 2015 8:15 pm

I have 74 channels of audio, all using class-t amps, and love them. Over the past 5 years I have not had any issues with these tiny, but powerful amps. My understanding is that all the power goes into producing sound instead of heat like traditional amps. I can highly recommend them.

GDay

PostSun Jun 21, 2015 9:00 pm

Wow, that's quite an endorsement from experience. Thanks a lot. My first Hauptwerk set-up had 16 channels through 8 amps; that took a lot of space, created a lot of heat, and constant audio maintenance. My new set-up (with a new two manual "continuo" size console) replaces my four manual AGO behemoth - all components are inside the console (except the speakers). These mini-amps are just the ticket. Again thanks.
G
G'Day

robinsmh

PostMon Jun 22, 2015 3:59 am

I use one of these 6-channel boards from Sure:
http://www.amazon.com/Sure-Electronics- ... B00KNMRECW

Which, together with a suitable SMPS from Meanwell, gave me a cost-effective way of building a quite powerful 6-channel audio system, built into my console. It has worked flawlessly. It does not however have any form of loudspeaker protection circuitry.

Is that a 'class T amp'? No - but its the same sort of thing. Very small, silent cooling fan, and easy to wire up. There are no significant pops/bangs when I turn it on or off. I added some volume control pots to it, which may not really be needed.

jkinkennon

PostMon Jun 22, 2015 8:43 am

Is that a 'class T amp'?

"Class T" is a term associated with the original patent on this type amp IC nearly 20 years ago. It is not a proper class like A, AB, D, etc. Modern class D amplifiers use similar approaches to reducing noise and distortion, but years ago class T was something special. So think of these particular units as low power amplifiers that may be great or perhaps just average depending on the particular vendor.

Return to Amplification