It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 am

Multi-Channel w/Reverb Using Logic Pro X

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

chrisdfrith

Multi-Channel w/Reverb Using Logic Pro X

PostSun Jul 12, 2015 6:44 pm

I need some assistance configuring Logic Pro X to record, play back and play live multi-channel audio from Hauptwerk. I have four stereo pairs defined in Hauptwerk (eight total channels). I would also like to add convolution reverb to each of the eight channels inside of Logic Pro X and send it back out to my MOTU to route to the eight speakers. I currently use the router/mixer on the MOTU 24 Ao to route the digital channels to the correct speakers and to create a mix down for the subwoofer and rear surround channels.

The newly-updated guide available for configuring Hauptwerk with Logic Pro X does not address how to handle multi-channel audio from Hauptwerk inside of Logic Pro X. It's tougher than it seems it should be. Is there anyone else that has tackled this and might be able share some tips? I'm a novice with Logic Pro X.

mdyde

Re: Multi-Channel w/Reverb Using Logic Pro X

PostMon Jul 13, 2015 3:35 am

Hello Chris,

I found these pages that explain how to set up multi-channel audio output from a plug-in (e.g. Hauptwerk) in Logic:

https://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=27%26section=12%26tasks=true
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep07/articles/logictech_0907.htm

The Hauptwerk plug-in has 16 stereo output channels (i.e. 32 mono channels in total), which can be selected as audio output device channels for the Hauptwerk AU/VST Link 'device' on Hauptwerk's 'General settings | Audio outputs' screen.

Note that if you *only* wanted to use Logic for recording/playing/live *audio* from Hauptwerk (but not MIDI) then the 'Using an AU/VST host to apply real-time reverb' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 183-184 in the current v4.2.1 version) would be the instructions to follow, rather than the Logic tutorial on the website. (The Logic tutorial on the website covers recording/playing/live audio *and* MIDI, which necessitates a much more complex configuration.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

chrisdfrith

PostTue Jul 14, 2015 11:56 am

Thank you Martin. I will read through the links you posted and see what I am able to figure out. I'll post my results here so that others may potentially benefit as well. Many thanks to you for researching this topic and posting the information.

mdyde

PostTue Jul 14, 2015 12:36 pm

Thanks, Chris.

You're very welcome. Hope it helps.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Amplification