It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:50 pm

Event Monitor Speaker Repair Advice

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

BarryG

Event Monitor Speaker Repair Advice

PostMon Aug 24, 2015 9:35 am

I have a pair of Event bas V2 speakers (powered monitors) purchased about 10 years ago. One recently, after being on a few minutes, began producing a fairly loud, static/crackle sound about two seconds long and a second apart, then decreasing in length and increasing in frequency. It also makes a small crackle sound when turned on, and a thump when turned off. The other speaker exhibits none of these behaviors. I swapped cables and audio outputs to verify it's the speaker, and in fact it has the problem even when not connected to an audio input.

Event says they have no spare parts for the V2, and thus can't help.

Do any of you have suggestions? I'm guessing it's electronics, maybe the amp? Appreciate any advice before I have to buy new speakers. I live in the US, so could probably ship to any repair facility. Have searched and not found any that claim to be able to repair electronics, though several claim to have replacement spearker parts for Events.

Barry Gerken

Owen Jones

Re: Event Monitor Speaker Repair Advice

PostMon Aug 24, 2015 11:33 am

10 yo monitors; could be dry solder joints on the PCB, that is if they are self powered; IMO; dump them and get a pair Behringers 2031As or something similar; I have 36 of them in my VTPO installation.
Have a techie inspect it and check the wiriing and PCB for dry solder joints. Thumps, coud be faulty output transistors or the muting relay not functioning.
just my 2cs worth.

Owen Jones

PostMon Aug 24, 2015 11:43 am

similar posting;

Hello All, I need advice in two parts.

1 - I have a pair of Event 20/20 bas V2 active monitors bought in 2005. I read some posts and am experience the same problem as some others. Seems my power amp has gone on one of the monitors. There is a distorted flux in volume and it has blown out the tweeter. I used the good tweeter to test if it was just a blown tweeter and the bad monitor blew that out also. I called Event and the monitors are obviously out of warranty. THis issue happened several years ago with the same monitor before I knew how to do research on gearslutz so this problem has already cost me a couple hundred$$$.

So do I spend more $$$ to repair amp and get two new tweeters?

2 - or do I go for a new pair of studio monitors? I would love some feedback on best pair of mid level studio monitors. Between $400 - $800 ish for the pair.

Owen Jones

PostMon Aug 24, 2015 11:46 am

BarryG

PostMon Aug 24, 2015 11:54 am

Thanks, Owen. Very helpful if not encouraging. I did find the gearslutz (what a name!) posts later this morning. Also a company posting on eBay that they fix this kind of speaker electronics, but with their minimum charge to trouble-shoot, shipping, and uncertainty, quickly get to thinking it's better to buy new speakers. I suspect if one has gone the other may not be far behind, anyway.

Barry

engrssc

PostMon Aug 24, 2015 1:09 pm

With that age, another "lurking" problem is that they may need re-coning in the near future. Speaker technology, like everything else, continues to advance and in so doing, help to empty out our wallets. :shock:

Rgds,
Ed

TheOrganDoc

PostMon Aug 24, 2015 3:38 pm

From past experience !
With amp turned on but no tweeter attached,
please use a "Voltmeter" ( can be purchased cheaply)
and test to see if there is DC voltage, (or possibly AC with no input to amp. ) between the wire terminals
that were connected to the Tweeter.
If there is DC Voltage present,
then that Amplifier must be repaired, or

only other alternative "if DC is present at any speaker terminals" is New Monitors ! :oops:

( Please PM me if you wish to correspond)
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

TheOrganDoc

PostMon Aug 24, 2015 3:57 pm

I won't say that my 8 Behringer B2031A Monitors are the best, but they are more than adequate, and I had to use their rear panel adjustments to reduce their bass response extremely, caused by my room and or my, 18" Sub-woofers extremely powerful output ! :roll:

(Again I am most willing to assist via HWs "pm" feature) :D

jkinkennon

PostMon Aug 24, 2015 7:54 pm

You will probably want to replace the pair of Event V2 speakers for your Hauptwerk setup. I would look at repurposing the V2s rather than throwing them out. Pull the electronics, add a couple or $25 crossovers if the speakers were bi-amped, wire directly to the speakers or crossover unit, and assign the speakers to the home entertainment amplifier, the garage, or wherever they will do some good.

BarryG

PostTue Aug 25, 2015 7:35 am

Thanks to all of you for your experience and insight. This forum is a remarkable resource!

I think I'll replace the Events on my Hauptwerk system AND then try to "repurpose" them as suggested might be possible.

If one of the Events has failed, can the other be far behind? Plus learning that other of their components may fail as they age seems that might be wasting time and money on repair.

My biggest hesitation was having to "junk" the Events, but now my conscience can be clear, and I can enjoy another new learning experience (as long as they don't wait in the basement too long for my attention among other projects).

Again, I'm grateful for the advice!

Barry

TheOrganDoc

PostTue Aug 25, 2015 11:01 am

Hello Barry,
My, sort of inexpensive, Behringer B2031A's, are now over eight years old,
and still performing like new,
"But" who knows what will happen to them in the future ? :roll:

Having rebuilt sooo, many speakers in the past,
I do know what to expect.
I can handle almost any eventuality,
so long as my age doesn't intercede ! ! :oops:

Only difference, most of the Speakers that I had to rebuild/Repair,
had been
Very Heavily "Ab--used" !

At least one Pair, of New Studio Monitors should get you off in the right direction ! :D

Return to Amplification