It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 am

Partly new multichannel setup

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

mnailor

Partly new multichannel setup

PostFri Sep 25, 2015 9:01 am

I just replaced 12 channels of 11 year old upperwork speakers that were built for my digital organ (now known as my MIDI console) after my third or fourth 12 channel amp blew up. Lost count...

The new setup has three audio groups:

4 pairs of Adam A3X monitors, at front left and right rear on shelves 5 - 7 feet up and 8 - 10 feet from bench. Used for light 8' and 4' stops and most of the upperwork. Volumes just over 1/4.

2 pairs of Adam A8X monitors, at rear left on shelves 5 -7 feet up and 8 -10 feet from bench. Used for heavier 8' and 4' stops and some upperwork. Volumes at 1/4.

2 pairs of KRK RP10-3 monitors mixed down to an SVS subwoofer at rear on the floor 8 -10 feet from bench. Used for 32' and 16' stops and a few 8' stops. Volumes about 1/8.

(Asymmetrical placement was dictated by room shape and not letting the piano lid block any speakers. Room is roughly a 17 foot cube with a 2 story extension making it L shaped.)

So far I've tried Salisbury, Hereford, Caen, St. Omer, St. Maximin, and Steinkirchen enough to hear a vast improvement in sound quality.

Was surprised that the tiny A3X's hold their own against the bigger speakers, except for the bottom of the 8' octave as you'd expect from a 3 1/2" "woofer".

Return to Amplification