It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:18 pm

Speaker positioning once again confirmed

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Speaker positioning once again confirmed

PostThu Oct 29, 2015 9:37 pm

Hello all,

As I reported elsewhere here on the forum, I recently completely tore down and moved my entire Hauptwerk set up, console, amps, re-wiring, everything. It took me 6+ hours to complete the project and this is just an 8 channel + 2 sub set-up. As a side note I'll just say a person really doesn't realize the myriad of wires you have going everywhere until you experience the fun (not) of tearing it all apart after adding to the monster for 5+ years! :lol:

The reason for the move was I realized I could benefit from an opportunity for a more strategic approach to speaker positioning over my already extensively tried and true arrangement. Mainly I could realize perfect centering both side to side and front to back from my speakers, whereas before it was all a bit of an off centered compromise but was adjusted to sound very good.

In the past I had reported after several speaker arrangements that I found having the front 3 pairs of speakers up off the floor with the lowest pair starting off the floor at 3 feet and then the other 2 pairs stacked on top and the stacks about 6 feet apart trumped any other arrangement by far offering incredible realism, especially for wet sets. Well of course when you've got everything torn apart it gives a person a chance to once again experiment. All I can say is I had fun experimenting once again with several different speaker arrangements, but I could have saved myself a bunch of time after I got things back up and running.

I ended up with the stack starting even a bit higher this time at about 4 feet off the floor and going up from there. There is now NO question in my mind this arrangement of stacked speakers and about 6 feet apart will clobber any other arrangement and it's a contest that isn't even close! If you have to compromise and put any pairs side by side, have the outer pair 6 feet or so apart and put the other pair right next to them, no space at all between them which is what I ended up doing this time, but they are stacked directy on top of the first pair which is a larger pair routed to the pedal division.

Long story short, stack your speakers in a straight vertical line as best you can, any pairs that end up needing to be side by side due to space constraints then put them right next to each other, but strive for an overall arrangement of vertical stacks around 6 feet apart and starting at least 3 feet off the floor and you will be one happy Hauptwerkian!

Marc

TheOrganDoc

Re: Speaker positioning once again confirmed

PostFri Oct 30, 2015 1:51 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with you
"But I love my other half and I think that both,
Mel and his 10 channel HW organ might both be extracted from our happy home.

So, I have 3 Beh. B2031A's, on their backs (on the floor) aiming up the wall, on either side of my console
sounding A-A#-B etc. The three on the left play Main Ranks,
and the three on the Right play Solo Chamber Ranks !

One extra B2031A on each side of Console, outputs my HW Headphone Sub-mix,
after processing through my Lexicon Reverb ! :roll:

My bass if produced by a 1200 watt RMS 18" Subwoofer, built into the slot ported Bottom of my console,
firing at the wall behind my console.

My wife is happy as long as I have my AKG phones on !

A happy wife, is far better than the opposite ! ! !
Mel
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

PCM

PostSat Oct 31, 2015 12:59 pm

TheOrganDoc wrote:
My wife is happy as long as I have my AKG phones on !

Mel

My wife is happy when I use the Compound speakers, and absolutely not if I use conventional speakers, regardless of which type or Setup.

My wife says: from conventional speakers you will be tired.

I'm glad I never have to use a headset.

A happy wife, is far better than the opposite!

TomBentley

PostSat Oct 31, 2015 8:56 pm

Hello Again Marc,

Just curious -- are your speakers one on top of the other in the upright position or laying on their side -- Just thinking you must have very tall ceilings especially if they are upright. Also, if you are going three up on each side, are you routing the channels 1L, 2L, 3L, together on the left side, with 1R, 2R, 3R on the the right side of console? I'm working with 6 B2031A's, a Velodyne 1200 (which is working out okay tho the lowest octave is still a little weak on a 32' and 2 JBL full range towers out to an amp from the sub crossover.

I might try this as I am ripping the room up to paint so resettlement my experiment. Unfortunately that would leave me with only my Velodyne F12 servo sub with 2 JBL towers behind me -- which I would run as a mixdown. Think this would work?

Tom

1961TC4ME

PostSun Nov 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Hi Tom,

I'm using 4 Polk T15's which are smaller bookshelf size and in this latest configuration I had to put the larger towers on their sides but before this had them stacked on top of each other and also tried the smaller pairs side by side on top of the towers, I've got 8 foot ceilings to work with. I've found as long as things stay as close in line vertically as possible there's a little wiggle room but as soon as you go outside of the vertical line it wrecks the sound, pretty amazing how just a little moving will effect the sound. I'm sending a division to each L / R pair, if you end up with more divisions than pairs (which is usually the case), then split the last divisions evenly between the pairs, the larger towers are sent the pedal only. I've also found for wet sets this routing along with the stacking method provides the best sound.

Marc

Romanos

PostWed Jan 27, 2016 4:50 pm

I have 8 speakers in the front in 4 stereo pair (ie- 4 speakers stacked vertically on each side) on top of monitor stands. This puts the center of each stack about ear height and it is indeed a wonderful arrangement. I'll try and post a picture soon. I have my speakers about 3' away from the console on either side. At one point I had 6 speakers mounted on a board directly over my head but the fatigue was incredible due to the close proximity of the speakers. I'm MUCH happier with the stacked off to the side now (new house so I could finally do that!)

1961TC4ME

PostWed Jan 27, 2016 5:31 pm

Romanos wrote:I have 8 speakers in the front in 4 stereo pair (ie- 4 speakers stacked vertically on each side) on top of monitor stands. This puts the center of each stack about ear height and it is indeed a wonderful arrangement. I'll try and post a picture soon. I have my speakers about 3' away from the console on either side. At one point I had 6 speakers mounted on a board directly over my head but the fatigue was incredible due to the close proximity of the speakers. I'm MUCH happier with the stacked off to the side now (new house so I could finally do that!)

Glad you like the results! Yes, post a couple pics if you can. After visiting our local Cathedral this weekend I decided to try a slight twist I've been pondering on my tried and true stacked arrangement I've used for quite some time now. Here we go again! :shock: So far interesting but I have some tweaking to do, I'll hopefully have something to report soon. :wink:

Marc

Romanos

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 12:22 pm

Ive been considering pulling mine out from the corners a bit and turning them around to point at the wall in front of me at an angle so that I was hit with a broader reflected sound. Haven't wanted to get behind the organ to loosen up all of the cables though... I thought I would be smart last time and keep all my cables nice and tidy and tied down... which means I would have to undo all of my ties to move them. #hauptwerkproblems :lol:

1961TC4ME

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 3:35 pm

Romanos wrote:Ive been considering pulling mine out from the corners a bit and turning them around to point at the wall in front of me at an angle so that I was hit with a broader reflected sound. Haven't wanted to get behind the organ to loosen up all of the cables though... I thought I would be smart last time and keep all my cables nice and tidy and tied down... which means I would have to undo all of my ties to move them. #hauptwerkproblems :lol:

Ha! Once you start tearing things apart you then realize you've got about a million miles of wires to tidy up again! After I completely blew things up the other night the wire nightmare reality hit me, but this new arrangement although still in test mode is sounding quite interesting so far, possibly the best I've come up with, but a bit more experimenting yet until I can say for sure. Once I know for sure I will then nail everything down, hide wires / cables (once again :roll: ), make it a permanent install and will report my findings, then I'm gonna just leave it alone and play. :D

I have tried the turn the speakers around idea in the past, didn't like the results much.

Marc

Return to Amplification