It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 am

How Many Audio Channels?

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Moller Artiste

How Many Audio Channels?

PostSun Nov 29, 2015 6:02 pm

I have a refurbished Allen TC-6 3M console with an Artisan operating system. Amps and speakers are Allen Organ Company with the capability of running 12 channels, 1,200 watts. I'm in the planning stage for Hauptwerk. Can someone make a recommendation of how many channels are needed for good sound quality. Thanks, Allen

magnaton

Re: How Many Audio Channels?

PostSun Nov 29, 2015 8:42 pm

Hello Allen:

I'm confused by "Artisan Operating system". Do you mean the keyboards, stops, pedals, and swell are using Artisan uMidi input and processor boards for MIDI encoding? Also your question is fairly broad as it would be helpful to know the basic genre of music your planning (Baroque, Classical, Hymns, Theatre, etc.) and the sample set or sets you will be using or purchasing. There are some sample sets available in surround sound where you'll need a minimum of 4 channels (front and rear) to take advantage of the sound reflections.

Regardless of all that, try the advanced forum search using "multi channel" as the search string and you'll see lots of excellent posts on this subject. The great thing about HW is you can get a lot of mileage with just 2-channel stereo using full range speakers or pro-level headphones before venturing into the multi-channel arena.

Danny B.

Moller Artiste

PostMon Nov 30, 2015 7:57 am

Danny, thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm using Artisan uMIDI and it's my understanding it works well with Hauptwerk. Allen

1961TC4ME

PostMon Nov 30, 2015 11:26 am

If you're using wet sets, 8 to 10 channels will give you very satisfactory results, I honestly don't see a need to go any further. Now, dry sets is a whole nother story. :)

Marc

Romanos

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 4:30 pm

As many channels as you can! The more you have, the better and more thinly the samples can be spread (less speaker load), creating a natural mix in the room. Since you have 12, I'd use them all. You could do 10 front and 2 rear (for surround) or 8 front, 2 mix down / pedal, and 2 rear. If you have 8 up front, you can experiment with 4 stereo channels accommodating either the whole organ or one pair taking each division or stop group family. No limit really when you have many channels. I have 6 mains, 2 mix down speakers in the front and another 2 rear (and sub). I love it. And if I had the money, I would add channels.
Last edited by Romanos on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdyde

PostFri Jan 29, 2016 3:57 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Amplification