It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 pm

Headphone subwoofer

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

elgoosey

Headphone subwoofer

PostWed Dec 16, 2015 2:48 am

Hello all,

New to the forum but not to Hauptwerk. I've recently started using Hauptwerk through Superlux HD 660 headphones - WOW! What a difference. Loving them.

Now there are some reasons why I believe buying a big expensive sound system at this time is pointless.

1. I only use the basic version so most stops don't even have full realism.
2. My setup is in a bedroom so to place reasonable size speakers anywhere is not possible.
3. I have a family and neighbours who would be complaining.

However, while the headphones do provide good bass response, as others have said, a subwoofer with headphones would be a nice addition. I don't want to spend mega money, as I am not looking for realistic sound production to fill a church, and I don't want to be rumbling the house, shattering windows etc. Family and neighbours might complain! Also, as above, space is limited so 15", 18" woofers are out of the question.

Therefore, I was wondering whether something like this http://www.electromarket.co.uk/skytroni ... eaker-200w would work okay. It seems to fit the bill of working with low end frequencies, or is there another alternative? No 32' stops in my setup just 16'. Not looking at anything over about £120. Again, the organs I have sound wonderful to me through the headphones and not looking to fill a church with realistic sound, just adequate rumbling required!

Regards
John

engrssc

Re: Headphone subwoofer

PostWed Dec 16, 2015 10:39 am

A possible problem in your case would be that any speaker type sub creates audible (in the room) sound. And at low frequencies, this sound can travel quite far (next rooms etc). Similar to a car pulling up to you (when you are stopped) and this other car has a powerful sub installed. All you hear is the boom, boom, boom of those low notes.

Have you consider something like what is (affectionately) sometimes called a butt kicker? Home theatre and gamers use these mounted to their "place" of sitting (sofa, chair, bench). These devices carry the low notes thru to you directly without much (if any) bass sounds going thru the air. You might check these sources and get an idea:: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=bass+shaker&_frs=1. These are mostly reasonable cost wise and can be mounted to the organ bench for your own private bass (feeling). You will need a low end bass amplifier to drive such a unit, but you would also need an amp for a spkr driven sub as well.

Rgds,
Ed

elgoosey

PostWed Dec 16, 2015 11:02 am

HI,

Do they need to be run from an amplifier as they all seem to come with speaker wire connections or can you attach/solder on a normal 3.5mm jack for computer use?

*Sorry just read the last line of your post, you do need an amplifier!* Interesting item to consider though!

Thanks

John

Romanos

PostWed Dec 16, 2015 5:25 pm

I have a large 1000w sub but I'm still intrigued by these... I didn't know they existed. I have half a mind to put one into my bench. I love playing organ because it is so visceral.

engrssc

PostWed Dec 16, 2015 5:55 pm

Romanos wrote:I have a large 1000w sub but I'm still intrigued by these... I didn't know they existed. I have half a mind to put one into my bench. I love playing organ because it is so visceral.

Esp cool as it gives that "bottom end" a work out. :shock:

Rgds,
Ed

elgoosey

PostWed Dec 16, 2015 6:18 pm

Hi,

I was looking at the Daytona TT 25 transducers as they are reasonable price and rumble from 20 - 80hz. Are these okay? What is the difference between 16 and 8 ohm? Would I need two? What kind of amp would I need? Not an expensive one hopefully!

Thanks

John

Andrew Grahame

PostWed Dec 16, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi John,

Check out this thread. I contributed some pictures and info about how I installed transducers under the organ seat. They are excellent.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9656&hilit=silent+subwoofer

Andrew

elgoosey

PostMon Dec 21, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi,

Purchased a subwoofer to eventually use with speakers for when no one is here, and low volume with headphone when they are. It has a crossover. Does this need to be nearer the 50hz or 150hz? I'm not sure what it is doing because no matter where I set it, the subwoofer plays the same notes just at varying volumes - I assume the crossover is controlling what frequencies will not be sent to speakers rather than which notes don't reach the sub?

Thanks

John

telemanr

PostMon Dec 21, 2015 7:13 pm

Correct, it affects which frequencies go on to connected speakers. It would also, of course, affect which frequencies are still being produced by the sub. At 50 the sub is handling fewer frequencies than at 150.
Rob Enns

RichardW

PostMon Dec 21, 2015 8:02 pm

I have the mixer for my soundcard set to produce a separate signal for the subwoofer and the monitors.

So the sub does not feed any other speakers but it has a filter that I can set somewhere in the range 40Hz to 120Hz. That limits the high frequencies that reach the sub.

My monitor speakers are good to about 55 Hz so if I set my sub to about the same frequency then the "crossover" should be about right.

If I play scales using a single pipe I can hear when the level is not close enough.

Regards,
Richard

Return to Amplification