It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 am

Dolby Atmos?

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Wadih

Dolby Atmos?

PostSun Jan 10, 2016 5:30 pm

Not sure if this is possible with Hauptwerk.

I am upgrading my sound system. I used Harman Kardon receiver to power a 7.1 setup where I used JBL 250 watts front and 150 watts for surround and rear with a 12" active sub that. Delivers 400 watts. Not bad as a system, the sound use to evolve in the room and the base response was enough to shake things around me.

The upgrade I am doing is to replace Harman receiver with Onkyo 1030 capable of 11.2 Dolby Atmos. Given that the receiver will not be decoding Atmos audio, I decided to go up to 13.2 which will deliver stereo sound. This achieved by keeping the old JBL speakers and adding 6 Atmos Klipsch module speakers (or height speakers) which I am going to put on top of the front, surround and rear. I will also a second active subwoofer, Klipsch 12" capable of delivering up to 600 watts. To achieve that configuration, I am adding a second Ankyo 2 channels amplifier and connecting it to the main 1030. I will also use zones 2 and 3 at the same time.

Although I am sure I will not get a real Atmos result, but I think I will get an even more satisfying result from the current setup.

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

Many thanks and best regards,
Wadih

mdyde

Re: Dolby Atmos?

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 4:31 am

Wadih wrote:Not sure if this is possible with Hauptwerk.

Hello Wadih,

[Topic moved here.]

I'm not sure I really understand what you're asking, but Hauptwerk has no knowledge of the specific makes/models of speakers, amplifiers of effects processors (surround effect processors, for example) that you might decide to use.

In Hauptwerk (Advanced Edition) you can route audio output to one or more (up to 512) mono or stereo audio output channels on your audio interface, limited by the number of audio channels that your interface and its driver provide. What happens to the audio after that point is up to you, and isn't determined or limited by Hauptwerk.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Wadih

PostMon Jan 11, 2016 6:41 am

Dear Martin,

Many thanks for your reply and explanation. I was only curios to see if any Hauptwerk member is using such configuration.

Apparently, multichannel audio routing is what Hauptwerk is concerned of when it comes to advanced configuration.

Best regards,
Wadih

Romanos

PostWed Jan 27, 2016 3:08 pm

You can mimic the atmos idea by getting yourself some def tech speakers (not just the tower speakers, but also some of their in-wall options) which have dual drivers (front/back or l/r)

Return to Amplification