It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:55 pm

Audio in a small room/surround sets

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

jkinkennon

Re: Audio in a small room/surround sets

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 12:48 pm

If the sound is fatiguing with the speakers set up for near-field use then it might be worthwhile making some tuning adjustments. Sometimes it's more out-of tune highs than near-field which is fatiguing. Try decreasing the random detuning quite a lot, especially if you have the wind modeling active and reverb as well, things that give some movement and life to the sound.

Just saying what works for me. If this is interesting then we should probably start a new thread on this topic.

Romanos

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 1:13 pm

That will only get you so far, however. I have decent studio monitors but at the end of the day, they are still very directional. Part of the fatigue I experience is the mental disconnect between what I know the sound should be and what I hear. My brain is very aware of the fact that the sound should be more enveloping in real life. The dead zone directly above me, for instance, is quite disorienting. It's definitely something you get used to, but those types of things cannot be compensated for.

I honestly wish I could get bigger speakers in a bigger room and push the console to a greater distance away. Then the sound could spread more in the room before hitting me (less directly). Alas, I do not have the space...

andersonxt

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 1:29 pm

Romanos wrote:Part of the fatigue I experience is the mental disconnect between what I know the sound should be and what I hear. My brain is very aware of the fact that the sound should be more enveloping in real life. ... I honestly wish I could get bigger speakers in a bigger room and push the console to a greater distance away. Then the sound could spread more in the room before hitting me (less directly).

I ultimately decided I couldn't be happy with monitors in a close space either and got 6 BP10s and a SuperCube 6000, which will push the site into the much larger living room. The console will be 20-25ft from the front speakers and 6-8 from the rear. I'm broke, but I'm sure I'll be more satisfied.

Romanos

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 1:33 pm

HOLY MOLY! Good for you! I'm sure you wont regret it, although anyone else living with you might :lol:

(For the record--hope my wife doesn't read this--that is pretty much exactly what I would like to do.)

1961TC4ME

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 1:52 pm

Romanos wrote:That will only get you so far, however. I have decent studio monitors but at the end of the day, they are still very directional. Part of the fatigue I experience is the mental disconnect between what I know the sound should be and what I hear. My brain is very aware of the fact that the sound should be more enveloping in real life. The dead zone directly above me, for instance, is quite disorienting. It's definitely something you get used to, but those types of things cannot be compensated for.

I honestly wish I could get bigger speakers in a bigger room and push the console to a greater distance away. Then the sound could spread more in the room before hitting me (less directly). Alas, I do not have the space...

Romanos,

First, not wanting to get too far off track here from the original post, but I find it quite interesting someone is literally on the same page as myself as to how we look at and evaluate this. That 'dead space' above is something I've looked at trying to remedy for a long time. Although I can say I've been very happy with the way my set-up sounds, prior to what I just came up with and tried for the first time last night, my most recent tried and true arrangement which I ran with for a couple of years was still maybe in the 80% realism department at best compared to the real thing, again very good sounding but easily detectable from the real thing. Going back to the subject at hand 'Audio in a small room / surround sets,' it is well worth the effort and reward to go surround. If you or anyone else here is looking to take things to the next level, hang tight, I need to put together a sketch first of my new layout and will hopefully post on it very soon, it's good!

Marc
Previous

Return to Amplification