It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:34 pm

My latest audio lay-out / reverse surround

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Eric Sagmuller

Re: My latest audio lay-out / reverse surround

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 6:52 am

1961TC4ME wrote:Hi again all,

It was then I discovered the furthest front speakers were turned off, so I tried it both ways, with them on and with them off along with the side speakers. Turns out with them on the sound quality and realism dropped! Go figure!
Marc

I found out years ago that paralleling two speakers with the same signal causes sound degradation due to phase cancellation, etc. I think the effect depends too on how close they are to each other.

Eric

1961TC4ME

Re: My latest audio lay-out / reverse surround

PostWed Mar 09, 2016 10:57 am

TomBentley wrote:Hello again Marc! I am glad to read your post today. I had always been disappointed that my room wouldn't allow me to have any speakers in the front so my last try turned out to be with things somewhat in a semi-circle from a 45 degree angle from my right shoulder on around to the same angle on my left shoulder -- nothing in front of me -- and it has turned out to be a pretty good sound. Then to see that you are now nearly in the same arrangement reassures me that maybe I haven't been missing out so much in the past because I could find no way to get anything in front of me. Again thanks for all your testing and reporting -- it really helps!

Tom

Hi Tom,

Glad to hear folks can possibly glean some benefit from my testing and I appreciate the endorsement! :mrgreen:

Eric Sagmuller wrote:
1961TC4ME wrote:Hi again all,

It was then I discovered the furthest front speakers were turned off, so I tried it both ways, with them on and with them off along with the side speakers. Turns out with them on the sound quality and realism dropped! Go figure!
Marc

I found out years ago that paralleling two speakers with the same signal causes sound degradation due to phase cancellation, etc. I think the effect depends too on how close they are to each other.

Eric

Hi Eric,

That certainly seems to make sense, it was quite remarkable how much the sound quality dropped just by turning on the two most forward speakers and I'm glad I stumbled upon this little discovery. Sometimes I guess you just luck out! :wink:

Marc
Previous

Return to Amplification