It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 pm

Setting up Audio for Dolby 5.1 Headphones

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

macpianoman

Setting up Audio for Dolby 5.1 Headphones

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 4:20 pm

I can't start on this until I get the Advanced edition. I was wondering since I have these Dolby 5.1 Sony wireless headphones if I could redirect front and rear speakers etc. But my concern would be the bass since in a Dolby that is a separate speaker.

They work wonderfully in regular stereo. I originally bought them for listening and watching movies on TV when my wife went to bed and you can certainly hear front and rear speakers. They were like $300 new so they probably work better than any speaker system I could come up with. Plus I usually don't start practicing until 10 PM.

sjkartchner

Re: Setting up Audio for Dolby 5.1 Headphones

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 11:45 am

Hauptwerk does not include a Dolby encoder (5.1, 7.1 or any other derivatives). So the challenge will be to find an audio interface that takes the discrete channels from Hauptwerk and converts them into a Dolby 5.1 signal for your headphones. There was some discussion on the forum concerning using a Dolby A/V receiver for Hauptwerk sometime ago but I don't recall where that is now.
Stan Kartchner, Tucson, AZ USA

ludu

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 12:33 pm

sjkartchner wrote:There was some discussion on the forum concerning using a Dolby A/V receiver for Hauptwerk sometime ago but I don't recall where that is now.

Here it is: http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=13639.
Luc

macpianoman

PostSat Feb 27, 2016 3:35 pm

thanks for the link. I was afraid that it would be difficult to do. It would take a dedicated box somehow to divide up the signal and I'm not sure how the #5 of Dolby 5.1 would work out. You're right 5.1 would be mostly for motion pictures and TV shows etc.

Return to Amplification