It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:43 am

Aux mix

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

jharmon

Aux mix

PostThu May 12, 2016 1:16 pm

I've used Hauptwerk for 7 years and even though I had electronics or midi experience I have overcome many technical problems (including the frustration of convolution reverb). Many times forum members have been invaluable. I approach the forum today after hours of frustration with aux mixdown. I have four stereo groups devoted to the manuals and one stereo group for the pedals. I use one of the manual group for a rear channel for the surround sets. I would like to use that same channel as a rear mix channel. Would someone please provide step by step instructions for mixing the swell, choir, and great on this rear channel. Either forum or PM is fine. I've created a new output group (mix) but can not figure out how the assign divisions to it. Thank you in advance.

John

1961TC4ME

Re: Aux mix

PostThu May 12, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi John,

I don't have HW running right in front of me and being so am not using the proper terminology per HW either, but I think all you have to do is include your Aux / mix down channel(s) in the 'send' section under the general settings / audio tab. As an example, if channels 1 / 2 are set up for routing the great manual division and you want 5 / 6 to also receive this signal, include 5 / 6 in the send to channels section. Keep in mind to do it properly, in this example 5 / 6 can not be designated as use for pipe / rank routing. I also believe without looking at my own set-up that you can not create a separate 'mix' group and make it do what you want it do, so you would need to delete the mix group and again just assign whatever channels you want the mix to go to. Under general settings / audio there's a split screen, you will see something worded like primary use for pipe routing, those are your audio groups for pipe / rank routing, directly under that you will see the send to's, they should be blank, use the pull down in the sends to find the channel you want the channels to send to and select those channels and you should be good to go. In this case you would want each of your divisions to 'send' to whichever channel(s) (the same channel) it is you are using for mix down.

I hope that helps,

Marc

jharmon

PostThu May 12, 2016 2:39 pm

Thanks Marc - I was counting on a bailout from you or Ed. Inserting Aux Mix in Audio Outputs and selecting the proper audio output device I then have selected the device channels. Going to the Routing and Aux Mix screen I can select Output Type and audio Output Group under Audio Routing. There are fourAux Send destinations - all marked "none". Clicking on Output Type at the top of the page and selecting "aux mixdow n outlet ... Grays out the aux Send destination. I'm missing something simple somewhere.

1961TC4ME

PostThu May 12, 2016 2:54 pm

Hi John,

Did you delete your 'mix' group from the audio output groups? Delete that group first, you may then get a message that something is not set up correctly, go back to your general settings tab and be sure the channels you want to use for mix down are not set for primary pipe routing, they shouldn't be now that you've deleted the group, but just in case. Then under your general settings / audio tab select 1 / 2 as an example, go to the second half of the split screen and be sure 1 / 2 as an example is selected for primary use for pipe routing, then go to the first of the 4 blank sends below that say "none" and click the pull down, your channels (the ones you just deleted from the audio group section) that you want to use should then appear and you can select it now as the receives from 1 / 2. Then go back to the first half of the split screen and select the next set of channels and do the same for each, sending their signal to the channels you want for mix down. For each channel or pairs of channels you want to send to your mix down you will still use the first entry line of the 4, you would only use more than one of the entry 'send to' boxes if you had more than 2 channels set to use as mix down.

Marc

jharmon

PostThu May 12, 2016 3:24 pm

Thanks Marc - anxious to try

toplayer2

PostThu May 12, 2016 4:00 pm

Hello John,

Our Audio Routing Guide will be helpful to you. You can download the pdf file from the link below.

http://www.paramountorganworks.com/down ... tAudio.pdf

Joe Hardy
Paramount Organ Works

1961TC4ME

PostThu May 12, 2016 4:20 pm

toplayer2 wrote:Hello John,

Our Audio Routing Guide will be helpful to you. You can download the pdf file from the link below.

http://www.paramountorganworks.com/down ... tAudio.pdf

Joe Hardy
Paramount Organ Works

Yes, this routing / audio group / mix down stuff can get a little confusing, something visual will definitely help.

Marc

jharmon

PostThu May 12, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks for your assistance Marc and Joe. I really needed your PDF Joe. It works on the Skinner. I'm reloading the Salisbury now and anxious to hear that change. All of my sample sets had basically been loaded with each manual division assigned to it's own stereo channel. In my previous acoustic environment this worked well( a huge, hard music room). In moving I was reduced to a spare bedroom (basically square) and the old audio setup never sounded good. Joe, your plan brought a new, balanced sound. It's clear and just what I needed for this room. I'm also looking forward to reloading the Wurlitzer. As an aside, Joe, will we ever hear a good, wet theatre set?

1961TC4ME

PostFri May 13, 2016 10:02 am

Hi John,

Glad to hear it sounds like you got it figured out!

Marc

engrssc

PostFri May 13, 2016 4:45 pm

Figuring out the audio for multi channel Hauptwerk is probably the most daunting part of the project. It takes a while to figure out all the "angles", but once you do, you can see how really far advanced this piece of software is.

BTW, Joe's pdf got me started because it just seems to make sense and it does work 8)

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Amplification