It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 4:35 pm

Static on C pedal

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

caper1

Static on C pedal

PostSun Jun 19, 2016 3:56 pm

I just acquired a new receiver for the organ, and it all works beautifully except occasionally for a momentary loud static noise when I play the bottom C on the pedal. It doesn't seem to happen on any other note, and didn't happen with the old receiver. Thanks for any ideas on the cause.

brooke.benfield

Re: Static on C pedal

PostSun Jun 19, 2016 6:41 pm

You say it's "new" so I'm assuming that you mean it's fresh from a retail outlet of some sort and should therefore, have some sort of warranty.

It sounds to me like you might have a defective solder joint somewhere inside the new receiver. Does the problem happen when the volume level is low? If not, that's a clue. The low notes will draw more power and might make the problem more likely to manifest itself.

I'd suggest having the retailer/manufacturer stand behind their product and provide a replacement.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

caper1

PostMon Jun 20, 2016 3:40 pm

Your suggestion sounded reasonable so I returned the receiver for a replacement. Turns out the price had dropped by a hundred dollars so I got a nice refund as well. However, the noise is still there, so must be some other cause. I just noticed it's only from the left speaker, so perhaps it's there that the problem lies. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

profeluisegarcia

PostMon Jun 20, 2016 7:29 pm

Does it happen with any sampled organ?
Luis

Hoofdwerk

PostMon Jun 20, 2016 11:15 pm

caper1 wrote:Your suggestion sounded reasonable so I returned the receiver for a replacement. Turns out the price had dropped by a hundred dollars so I got a nice refund as well. However, the noise is still there, so must be some other cause. I just noticed it's only from the left speaker, so perhaps it's there that the problem lies. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Swap left and right speaker wires, see if the problem moves speakers or stays put... and perhaps see if you can replicate the problem in headphones?

caper1

PostTue Jun 21, 2016 8:34 am

Hoofdwerk wrote:
caper1 wrote:Your suggestion sounded reasonable so I returned the receiver for a replacement. Turns out the price had dropped by a hundred dollars so I got a nice refund as well. However, the noise is still there, so must be some other cause. I just noticed it's only from the left speaker, so perhaps it's there that the problem lies. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Swap left and right speaker wires, see if the problem moves speakers or stays put... and perhaps see if you can replicate the problem in headphones?

Thanks Hoofdwerk, that did the trick. I switched speaker wires and now no static at even high volume. Perhaps it was just a connection problem, or who knows. Anyway problem fixed. I feel badly in a way that I talked Best Buy into taking back a perfectly good receiver, but then the price had dropped and they gave me a refund as well, which either makes me feel better or worse, I'm not sure.

Return to Amplification