It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:30 pm

Johannus room correction breakthrough!!

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

Jan Loosman

Johannus room correction breakthrough!!

PostSat Jul 09, 2016 1:26 pm

Roomcorrection is used by some of us in their Hauptwerk setups. Using Dirac, Arc2 or hardware roomcorrection with good results. Some Dutch Hauptwerk suppliers offer roomcorrection software in their stores. Once experienced room correction in a Hauptwerk setup there is no way back.
Well Johannus also discovered roomcorrection!!
http://www.johannus.com/en-us/news/joha ... t-software
They say it is a breakthrough in sound production!
They are right, but then again some of us already knew :D

Regards Jan

scottherbert

Re: Johannus room correction breakthrough!!

PostSat Jul 09, 2016 3:24 pm

O.K. Jan, as I admitted elsewhere, I am a dinosaur. Can you please explain to me (in simple terms) what room correction is? For instance, is it something that corrects various frequencies according to your room? All of this new stuff is coming out faster than I can keep up with!!! :?

Thanks
~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

abaymajr

PostSat Jul 09, 2016 3:35 pm

That's really a nice news, although I doubt JDRC will reach the performance of Dirac or even less-featured ARC. Second to the release, it's a comercial feature done by a Johannus representative, not by the organist, so it must me done in a few steps and be error proof. Dirac has many perspective modes, sweep tones done many times, all measurements taken from 9 different locations, time-domain correction, etc. Don't think Johannus will bother developing/implementing all of this, or licensing Dirac/ARC technologies. Let wait someone with DRC expertise to test Johannus product, but my shot is JDRC would be like a simplified ARC, something like Johannus Live would be to Hauptwerk. Anyway, both Live and JDRC are huge improvements in electronic organ market, and will surely attract people who don't have knowledge nor inclination for DYI organs.

Jan Loosman

PostSun Jul 10, 2016 2:14 pm

scottherbert wrote:O.K. Jan, as I admitted elsewhere, I am a dinosaur. Can you please explain to me (in simple terms) what room correction is? For instance, is it something that corrects various frequencies according to your room? All of this new stuff is coming out faster than I can keep up with!!! :?

Thanks
~Scott

Hello Scott.

Every room influences the sound of organs or music played in that rooms..
The most common influence is a absorption of the higher freq. and boominess in the lower freqencies caused by roomresonances in the bass range.
Room correction software uses a tone sweep from low to high from every speaker in the room and with a mic. you meassure the influence of the room on that tone sweep. The computer then calculates a correction equalisation curve to elliminate the bad influences of the room.
Applying this filter in the hauptwerk audio chain corrects the room influences on the sound, thus improving the sound of the Hauptwerk organs a lot.
This is the basic room correction like Arc2.
Dirac also corrects the time domain. This means speakers that are placed near you will have a little time delay so that they are correctly timed with the speakers further away.
A correct timing improves the sense of spaciousness a lot.

Regards Jan

ludu

PostSun Jul 10, 2016 3:50 pm

Is this system useable for multichanel configurations or only for one pair of stereo speakers?
Luc

scottherbert

PostSun Jul 10, 2016 4:22 pm

Thank you so much Jan, now I finally understand how all this works!!! :D

(Sometimes, the world passes by SO fast, and you just can't catch up! :oops: )

~Scott
"Life is just a dream, it is in death that we truly awaken!"

Jan Loosman

PostSun Jul 10, 2016 5:31 pm

ludu wrote:Is this system useable for multichanel configurations or only for one pair of stereo speakers?

Yes i used Arc2 for many years it is a vst so you have to use Reaper.
If you use two instances of Arc vst in the front and rears then you can use it in a multichannel setup.
Dirac is more sophisticated and uses one vst for multi channel.
But since Dirac vst is still in beta testing you have to ask for it and hope they will allow you to use it.

Regards Jan

jkinkennon

PostSun Jul 10, 2016 6:24 pm

Breakthrough? Most receivers do time domain and level correction already though I don't think many (any?) do the frequency response corrections. Time based corrections are good for the location where the sampling mike is placed. Averaged readings help to more evenly distribute any improvements at the expense of a single optimum location. This technology makes a big difference for home theater where "impact" is greatly increased at the listening position when all the speakers are in sync. It's clearly useful, basically automating the frequency response analysis and getting speaker delays in sync with each other which is something we scarcely thought about years ago. So it's a good feature on an organ where the installer can run the software without necessarily understanding the results. The automation makes possible the kind of tweaking that professionals have done for years with expensive test equipment so that's a good thing. It's the automation of the process and the resulting accessibility of these adjustments to non-technical users which is the real value. Perhaps that qualifies as a breakthrough after all.

Return to Amplification