It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:53 am

sound like real

Speakers, amplifiers, headphones, multi-channel audio, reverb units, mixers, wiring, ...
  • Author

janflorijn

sound like real

PostFri Jul 15, 2016 5:48 am

Hi all,

How is it possible to get the real sound effect like in a church. Surround, use sound effectprocessor Lexicon MX 300, plugins?

Wich one and how to configure

F.e. in the Dutch Late Romantic organ music the 8,4,3 flutes, the tutti.

Kind regards,

JanFlorijn

josq

Re: sound like real

PostFri Jul 15, 2016 6:14 am

It is not easy to achieve using speakers, but I think the most important factors are:
* High quality speakers & sound card
* Proper placement of speakers (symmetrical, at some distance, at the level of your ears, not obstructed by e.g. a pipe front)
* For those sample sets that support it: surround
* Room correction (Dirac, Arc2: search the forum)

janflorijn

PostFri Jul 22, 2016 2:45 am

Has anyone Experience with the Lexicon Sound processor? Wich effects, wich setting?

mdyde

PostFri Jul 22, 2016 3:40 am

Hello Jan,

Thanks for the continued interest in Hauptwerk.

I've moved your topic moved here, since this section of the forum covers reverberation effects, surround-sound and multi-channel audio.

If you haven't already done so, try searching the forum (using the forum's 'Search' link, which is directly above the forum screen area, rather than the Search box at the very top-right of the page, which instead searches the main Hauptwerk website) for 'Lexicon' which finds lots of topics discussing the Lexicon units that people are using.

Also have a browse through this 'Amplification' section of the forum ( http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewforum.php?f=17 ) for other ideas in general. There's a certain amount of inevitable overlap with the 'Audio / MIDI interfacing' section of the forum ( http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewforum.php?f=3 ).

We have a tutorial here that covers how to use Reaper to apply reverb effects to Hauptwerk's output: https://www.hauptwerk.com/news/tutorials-sequencing/2015/06/08/hauptwerk-with-reaper/ . (See also the 'Using an AU/VST host to apply real-time reverb' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide -- pages 183-184 in the current v4.2.1 version.)

Many current/recent Hauptwerk sample sets are 'surround', whereby they include sets of stereo samples recorded from several different microphone positions/perspectives (e.g. close to the organ, and further away). You can choose to load some or all of those perspectives in Hauptwerk, and to route them to different sets of speakers.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

toplayer2

PostFri Jul 22, 2016 9:09 am

janflorijn wrote:Has anyone Experience with the Lexicon Sound processor? Wich effects, wich setting?

Hello Jan,

I use and recommend the Lexicon MX400. It is only slightly more expensive than the MX300 and provides four outputs rather than two. It will add a nice sounding ambiance to dry sample sets. I like a preset named "Surround Hall". The MX400 can be configured to use two channels as input and four channel surround as output. IMO, a hardware reverb unit is easier to set up than software plug-ins. A tutorial on setting up Hauptwerk is available on our website:

http://www.paramountorganworks.com/down ... tAudio.pdf

In my experience, wet sample sets sound much better with headphones. For reproduction with loudspeakers, I prefer to use dry sample sets with reverb added to suit the listening room's acoustics.

Welcome to Hauptwerk.

Joe Hardy

janflorijn

PostSun Jul 24, 2016 8:45 am

Is there anyone with Experience comparisation of:
1. Lexicon mx 300
2. Reverberate with fusion

?

toplayer2

PostSun Jul 24, 2016 9:36 am

janflorijn wrote:Is there anyone with Experience comparisation of:
1. Lexicon mx 300
2. Reverberate with fusion

?

Jan,

Yes, I have compared the MX400 with Reverberate. Of course a convolver is only as good as the IR it uses, but with the IRs that I tried, Reverberate did not impress me very much. I would say that I prefer the Lexicon. As a hardware reverb, it is also easier to set up in my opinion. I have also used the professional Lexicon PCM96Surround and believe that the MX400 is very close in sound quality. Altiverb 7 is a suberb convolver.

Joe Hardy

janflorijn

PostSun Jul 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Yes, even with:

http://www.liquidsonics.com/software_fir_archives.htm

Altiverb is out of budget.

janflorijn

janflorijn

PostSun Jul 24, 2016 1:22 pm

I am on holyday, so i am not able to test.
I am interessed in ideas of other People but my plan is after holiday:
Test reverberate
Hear lexicon real. I want to hear results before i buy

Return to Amplification